The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 70,799 times)

Nathsp

Nathsp

As a guy who even enjoyed avpr this movie is a total mess, its sad because 30 % of the movie is amazing, but the rest is garbage, and the lore.. Not at scott covenant shit but damn..

The Old One

The Old One

Nothing wrong with the lore in Alien Covenant, apart from one particular element people take issue with.

The Predator is far and away a more entertaining and visually interesting film, (with good characterisation) than either AVP.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Nathsp on Sep 14, 2018, 11:13:07 PM
As a guy who even enjoyed avpr this movie is a total mess, its sad because 30 % of the movie is amazing, but the rest is garbage, and the lore.. Not at scott covenant shit but damn..
But it technically is like half AvPR... just better paced and decent characters this time around.

Quote from: bacchus on Sep 14, 2018, 01:20:46 PM
I'd have to re-watch the film (I won't be in any rush to do so!) but there are objective flaws in almost every scene - either technically from a film making point of view, or flaws with the story itself.

I can only imagine how bad the original test screening version was if this was supposed to be an improvement. Those poor test screening audience members.
I would argue that most of the edits ruined what flow there was and mixed up causality. Treager pulling a hybrid plasmacaster from his ear was a clear cut for sure.

Nathsp

Nathsp

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 14, 2018, 11:42:55 PM
Nothing wrong with the lore in Alien Covenant, apart from one particular element people take issue with.

The Predator is far and away a more entertaining and visually interesting film, (with good characterisation) than either AVP.
So alien being a creation in a basement with some ooze a few years before they found a fosil of a enginier with a cargo full of eggs... An enginier that is 4 times taller than the ones in te prequels..

Reallly i enjoyed more the avp movies than this mess, the fugitive is cool, but rest of the movie... The dogs... The final shit...

The Old One

The Old One

I'm not going to say you're wrong about the creation being an android's responsibility but the rest in terms of lore was executed spectacularly.
& People are always going to take issue with Ridley Scott's reinterpretation of the SJ as the Engineers, I do too-
but I enjoy both versions, I just wish they were established as separate entities. 

Huntsman

Huntsman

To be honest, now I've seen the film, I find the criticisms to be overblown. I do think some of the comedic elements were overdone, but for the most part I liked the comraderie they brought to the table. The Predator does do different things with the franchise. I think it's better than Predators, which while passable, was a lot more heavily influenced by the original. The Predator is getting smashed by some reviewers for having a different type of identity. I don't see that as a bad thing. The Predators in this movie are as brutal as any. The plot moves along nicely. It's not perfect, but it's not a disgrace.

Cellien

Cellien

The Predator was admittedly seriously funny, but heavy use of bad CG, complete lack of menacing creatures, and hilariously bad ending seals the deal; I rate it above AvP-R as the second worst movie with a Predator in it.

This franchise might just been done with. :(

Ingwar

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed with Jeremy Jahns, although I did care for the characters.
Chris Stuckman is correct about how stitched together the film is.

Xan21

Xan21

Chris Stuckman is right... about everything.

The Old One

The Old One

He is to a degree.

Firestorm

Firestorm

Decker Shado is always entertaining, truly a likeable and eccentric character, I also see eye to eye with that review 100%

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 14, 2018, 11:42:55 PM
Nothing wrong with the lore in Alien Covenant, apart from one particular element people take issue with..

Oh yes there is, at least from my perspective anyway. There is more than one issue with covenant. David being the creator is the most obvious of course but it is not the only one. The facehugger implantion speed for example, Aliens revealed that two cases proved the facehugger could be removed before implantion but that the hosts died as a result, hence why we have that horrific scene in Aliens where Burke tried to get Ripley and Newt impregnated.
Speaking of speed, the life-cycle is way too fast as well. I find it a little ironic really, Scott wanted to ignore  AVP with his movies but he unwittingly followed them in certain ways.

Fugitive Predator

Fugitive Predator

i feel a bit bad for Decker Shado he raged so hard.

The Old One

The Old One

@The Cruentus
I believe we've discussed this and it was the consensus or conclusion that the speed of embryo impregnation wasn't an issue.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=60415.0

https://avp.wikia.com/wiki/John_Marachuk

Considering TCF and the W-Y Report and the nature of John J Marachuk's death, it's hardly a contradiction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed