The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 71,039 times)

Lalo

Lalo

So budget is 88 million. Lets take a guess on how much it'll make

The Old One

The Old One

Not enough to warrant a sequel, I suspect.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I predict an OK opening weekend but a sharp drop after that. Probably will sell well on Blu-Ray also.

Russ840

Russ840

Let's hope that it gets by on word of mouth. So far, most I have spoken to like it and speak well of it.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 04:02:42 AM
I think the Rotten Tomato score is too excessive. A lot of the reviews that I read through had me thinking "you go into a Predator movie and complain about that?"

The scoring on IMDB seems a bit more fair but I'm aware some people tend to dislike that site for various reasons.

Exactly what i was thinking... Gosh people are weird sometimes...

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 14, 2018, 09:08:41 AM
Let's hope that it gets by on word of mouth. So far, most I have spoken to like it and speak well of it.
Excellent. I'm not sure if it'll get a sequel straight away, anyway. Look at the gap between Predator 2 and Predators, and then the gap between Predators and The Predator.

Russ840

Russ840

Either way. I think this movie will end up with a cult following and be remembered well in years to come. Especially if they release an extended alter cut down the line.

Damn. I'd take a cut just removing the last 5 mins.

Huntsman

Huntsman

I like what you're saying about the film, Russ. I'm seeing it tomorrow. Keep an eye out for my thoughts.

Russ840

Russ840

Will do. Looking forward to it bud.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 14, 2018, 11:08:11 AM
Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 04:02:42 AM
I think the Rotten Tomato score is too excessive. A lot of the reviews that I read through had me thinking "you go into a Predator movie and complain about that?"

The scoring on IMDB seems a bit more fair but I'm aware some people tend to dislike that site for various reasons.

Exactly what i was thinking... Gosh people are weird sometimes...
Yeah, but this early the IMDB-score isn't all that. 6,5 is not a good score. It will drop for sure the next couple of days. I think well below a 6,0 for sure.

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: NiceGuy on Sep 13, 2018, 08:06:27 PM
Okay, this could go on forever. Lets agree to disagree, but i never said that you cant like bad movies, or that you cant admit that you like them. Good production values wont equal a good movie. We all know that. I just dont think that movies are just like math equations. Basically all i was trying to say is that you like what you like, and that is more important than what the "professsionals" say. For example, everyone thinks that blade runner 2049 is a masterpiece. Maybe it is from a technical standpoint, but i still dont like it. I think its a soulless movie. Also a lot of people like The Room, which is awful in every regard, but people still like it, and not all of them ironically. Maybe my logic is flawed. Thats because i'm subjective, and so are you. You dont have to like what i think,it is just an opinion. Feel free to disagree with me.

QuoteNow problem with objectivity in art is because sometimes people really can't understand some artist, and artist can create really amazing art piece (movie, cartoon, music, book, comics, drawing, painting), and only few people will understand his talant, and this situation do exist, so it's why it's hard to have a 100 % ultimate objectivity in art industry. But it's also a lot of bad artist who can use this excuse "you just don't understand me, it's just too deep for you, or it's just a style, or it's no objectivity" and just make a terrible lazy art and call it a day.

Art is art, right? Then objectively every piece of art is art, even if you "dont get it". We all have different opinions.
You said you can be objective,and you can, but you are not objective right now. You talk about good artists, and bad ones.

QuoteYou can use this "Expirience" reason with almoust everything

Yes i can,and i will. Thats my whole point, and that is what matters.  Its okay to have your own thoughts about things, i have mine, you have yours, and theres nothing wrong with that. Cheers, mate.

Man no disrespect, I see what you saying and I agree with you on some parts, but you totally missed my point. What I am trying to say: "Yes everybody subjective, yes we have different experienced with movies, books, games etc. And you have all rights to like whatever you like.But you just dismissed the whole concept of Objectivity in movies. here what you said Objectivity can't really exist (rip me a new one). How could it exist? That's what I am not agree with".

I don't have nothing against this words " Maybe my logic is flawed. Thats because i'm subjective, and so are you. You dont have to like what i think,it is just an opinion. Feel free to disagree with me.Its okay to have your own thoughts about things, i have mine, you have yours, and theres nothing wrong with that. Cheers, mate." the only reason I started debate is because you selectively dismissed the Objectivity out of movies. Now 100 % objectivity is probably not existing. But I wasn't talking about absolute objectivity.  ;)

NiceGuy

NiceGuy

Quote from: azamultic on Sep 14, 2018, 12:02:03 PM
Quote from: NiceGuy on Sep 13, 2018, 08:06:27 PM
Okay, this could go on forever. Lets agree to disagree, but i never said that you cant like bad movies, or that you cant admit that you like them. Good production values wont equal a good movie. We all know that. I just dont think that movies are just like math equations. Basically all i was trying to say is that you like what you like, and that is more important than what the "professsionals" say. For example, everyone thinks that blade runner 2049 is a masterpiece. Maybe it is from a technical standpoint, but i still dont like it. I think its a soulless movie. Also a lot of people like The Room, which is awful in every regard, but people still like it, and not all of them ironically. Maybe my logic is flawed. Thats because i'm subjective, and so are you. You dont have to like what i think,it is just an opinion. Feel free to disagree with me.

QuoteNow problem with objectivity in art is because sometimes people really can't understand some artist, and artist can create really amazing art piece (movie, cartoon, music, book, comics, drawing, painting), and only few people will understand his talant, and this situation do exist, so it's why it's hard to have a 100 % ultimate objectivity in art industry. But it's also a lot of bad artist who can use this excuse "you just don't understand me, it's just too deep for you, or it's just a style, or it's no objectivity" and just make a terrible lazy art and call it a day.

Art is art, right? Then objectively every piece of art is art, even if you "dont get it". We all have different opinions.
You said you can be objective,and you can, but you are not objective right now. You talk about good artists, and bad ones.

QuoteYou can use this "Expirience" reason with almoust everything

Yes i can,and i will. Thats my whole point, and that is what matters.  Its okay to have your own thoughts about things, i have mine, you have yours, and theres nothing wrong with that. Cheers, mate.

Man no disrespect, I see what you saying and I agree with you on some parts, but you totally missed my point. What I am trying to say: "Yes everybody subjective, yes we have different experienced with movies, books, games etc. And you have all rights to like whatever you like.But you just dismissed the whole concept of Objectivity in movies. here what you said Objectivity can't really exist (rip me a new one). How could it exist? That's what I am not agree with".

I don't have nothing against this words " Maybe my logic is flawed. Thats because i'm subjective, and so are you. You dont have to like what i think,it is just an opinion. Feel free to disagree with me.Its okay to have your own thoughts about things, i have mine, you have yours, and theres nothing wrong with that. Cheers, mate." the only reason I started debate is because you selectively dismissed the Objectivity out of movies. Now 100 % objectivity is probably not existing. But I wasn't talking about absolute objectivity.  ;)
Thats okay, dude. Im all for a healthy debate.Just for the record, i didnt miss your point, i acknowledged that you can be objective about certain aspects.

demonbane

demonbane

"This movie is never meant to be Shakespeare or Gone with Wind! The original was B-movie! What more did you expect?"

This is poor excuse to defend the film. No one is saying that Predator films should be like that. They are talking about objective and technical and narrative flaws.

I may have to watch the movie again, but from what I remember...

So why did Fugitive attack humans if its intention was to help humans fight Predator invasion by giving Predator tech?

The female scientist could've used bit more introductory screen time. Her introduction was felt short and rushed.

So the movie gives brief character development on each ex-soldiers. They kinda get time to be friendly with each other. But that's still not very convincing reason that they decided to stick to McKenna on his mission, especially in such short time. What reason did they have to work with him instead of running away? How were they convinced that Predators were threat? Just because they saw Predator running on buildings? I wasn't convinced. At least in Predators, people were given good reason to stick to each other because they were on an alien planet. It was for their survival. It also showed transition of how they gradually got closer.

Predator dogs.... okay... they kept fighting dogs until one of them died. (I was also wondering why Predator dogs just didn't ignore bullets and attack them instead of just tanking bullets for a while?) Then, they keept shooting at the last dog until one of the guys put a bullet at back of its head... Although it was  alive, they were like "Hey, now it's pacified. Let's just leave it alone!" Wait what? Does putting a bullet at back of its head somehow pacifies it instead of killing? Did bullet somehow magically transform Predator dog to be friendly? Accidental brain surgery? I am still confused how the dog became friendly to humans. Later, it totally betrayed its master. There was no transition here. It was big WTF moment.

Whole Mckenna's kid potential and genius felt too much of coincidence. I mean sure... they kinda foreshadowed kid's talent when he remembered exact chess piece positions. Initially, I thought Predator was only after kid because he was wearing the gauntlet. But later, it felt like the reason for kidnap suddenly changed. I felt Upgrade was totally lucky to find exact speciemen for gene upgrade. Again, there wasn't enough transition here.

So why did McKenna and his crews try to stop Stargazers(or that black scientist and his soldiers. Sorry. I forgot his name) from accessing Predator ship? I don't think any reason was given. It wasn't like McKenna's son was going to be murdered. It was totally needless bloodshed. In the end, McKenna and his son ended up working with them minus the black scientist.

Was Predator Killer Shane Black's idea or Fox's? I think that could explain shoddy editing and reshoot.

I am all for new style and idea... if they are executed well. It's like writing an essay. A professor will give your essay bad score if your structure and grammar are poor. I actually didn't mind humor in this movie. I took it as new style for this new entry.

None of previous Predator film had this kind of issue. People are not asking about deep meaning or life lesson or philosophy or oscar performance.
They are asking for basic structure. The first film built Dutch and his team over half of the films. Reason was simple, but convincing. Transition was smooth and perfect. The film gradually switch the mood. Most if not all of actions were reasonable. Same with Predator 2 and Predators.
I hope people understand this.

bacchus

bacchus

I'd have to re-watch the film (I won't be in any rush to do so!) but there are objective flaws in almost every scene - either technically from a film making point of view, or flaws with the story itself.

I can only imagine how bad the original test screening version was if this was supposed to be an improvement. Those poor test screening audience members.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Merged with existing fan reviews thread.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed