The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 71,134 times)

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 13, 2018, 02:20:20 AM
I think they are indeed referring to the other two sequels, or at least Predators.
The only film that features Preds I outright dislike is AVP-R. So Rotten Tomatoes doesn't speak for me!  ;)

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 13, 2018, 10:15:07 AM
Hmm according to wikipedia on The Predator, the rotten tomatoes approval is now at 41%, I was sure it was in the 60s before.
39% now.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: 343 on Sep 13, 2018, 01:42:57 PM
Hmm according to wikipedia on The Predator, the rotten tomatoes approval is now at 41%, I was sure it was in the 60s before.
39% now.

We're on an express elevator to hell - going down.

NiceGuy

NiceGuy

I don't think that critics reviews, or scores and percenteges on a website really matter, unless you're a really casual moviegoer.
I never understood this whole "what critics are saying" thing, like they know better, like they could be objective. Objectivity can't really exist (rip me a new one). How could it exist? You like what you like, and you hate what you hate. You can also not give a shit, but that isn't the same as being objective towards something. It's not even a good indication for the box office. The Predator franchise never was as big or as profitable, as modern superhero movies. It's all up in the air.

gabgrave

gabgrave

Watched the show yesterday. Can't say it was a good movie, but it wasn't a bad one either. The end phase of the movie that was reshot at night really could have used more work,
Spoiler
since several scenes as mentioned like the death of the main human baddy and also when the dog came out of nowhere to attack the Upgrade, was really split second instances that if you blinked you'd missed it totally. And of course, the final scene with the Predator-Killer looked more like an attempt at a Marvel end credits scene that wants to suggest a sequel that we probably won't get until they find a new director. And of course, what with all these new tech, it certainly means there's a split in the tech base of the Predator films compared to the Alien ones now. Unless they handwave it away by destroying all of it.
[close]

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: NiceGuy on Sep 13, 2018, 02:21:01 PM
I don't think that critics reviews, or scores and percenteges on a website really matter, unless you're a really casual moviegoer.
I never understood this whole "what critics are saying" thing, like they know better, like they could be objective. Objectivity can't really exist (rip me a new one). How could it exist? You like what you like, and you hate what you hate. You can also not give a shit, but that isn't the same as being objective towards something. It's not even a good indication for the box office. The Predator franchise never was as big or as profitable, as modern superhero movies. It's all up in the air.

I politely disagree, the more you know about situation in the industry, about how story works, how lighting works your point on the subject becoming more objective. The difficulty is that movie connected to art department, where it's hard to determine golden rule of objectivity, because we can have different styles ,and different artistic view, but still the more you know, the higher chance of you being more objective.

Example I am an artist, and I can see when another artist not good with anatomy, or perspective, or shape of the figure (if we talking realistic style), now some artist can do amazing stylized shape and colors and not being good with realism(that's what makes the subject a little bit difficult).

Critics job is to watch movies and films everyday and analyze them, they can see some stuff coming miles away and they can call on it, because of their experience in the field in the industry etc, and you may not notice that flaws because of lack of knowledge or experience, and that is normal. Now is it mean that all critics are right, nope, but their opinion has higher chance of being more objective then yours.

Like I said I may notice mistakes in some drawing, because of my experience in it, but you may not notice it, you may not see the wrong perspective or wrong shape of a muscle. And yes it does mean that my point is more objective on the drawing then yours. Now you of course can start using the point that art is subjective or it his/her style, and you like what you like  and I like what I like, but it just feels like a very lazy way if protecting something that you like and what may not be a good product objectively.

I like when people liking some bad stuff and admitting it. I love Predator 2 it's my all time favorite movie, but it's not good compare to the original, but I still love it more then original. Will I say that all critics are wrong, no, probably they right, but it wouldn't change my love for this movie  ;)

NiceGuy

NiceGuy

I have not seen the movie yet, its just my not really objective opinion on this whole reviews thing. I love Predator 2 as well :laugh:
Also, The more you know, you become more objective? Everyone knows about the long reshoots, did that make people more objective? Because i think it had a negative effect on the whole outlook of the film. You said it yourself, art is subjective,and of course it is. I didnt say that you absolutely can not be objective about anything. You can be objective about other things, but not about movies, and that is what i meant when i wrote that objectivity doesnt exist. Its not about you or me being right, its about what you like. Therefore you are not being objective. Yes, you can judge special effects, etc, but the experience you have with the movie is yours, and yours only. And that is going to be subjective.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 13, 2018, 02:04:49 PM
39% now.

We sure are. 37%. What the hell, man!

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: NiceGuy on Sep 13, 2018, 02:58:53 PM
I have not seen the movie yet, its just my not really objective opinion on this whole reviews thing. I love Predator 2 as well :laugh:
Also, The more you know, you become more objective? Everyone knows about the long reshoots, did that make people more objective? Because i think it had a negative effect on the whole outlook of the film. You said it yourself, art is subjective,and of course it is. I didnt say that you absolutely can not be objective about anything. You can be objective about other things, but not about movies, and that is what i meant when i wrote that objectivity doesnt exist. Its not about you or me being right, its about what you like. Therefore you are not being objective. Yes, you can judge special effects, etc, but the experience you have with the movie is yours, and yours only. And that is going to be subjective.

I understand that you were talking about the movie, but no offense this logic is flawed. You can use this "Expirience" reason with almoust everything, you can talk like this about Sports game, computer game, comics, tv show, books, play. But it's not only expirience, the technical exacution counts too, if you had amazing time with a shitty executed movie, you cant just tell people "Yooo people, you are not objective, you just had a bad experience, it's just not your style or preference", no. If person can explain point by point about execution of the movie and how bad it was, or about a lack of storytelling skills from director and writer, or about bad camera man who doesn't know how to shot, or bad editor who just destroying the movie with his cuts, or composer who writes just terrible music, then yehh he can pruve you that objectivly this movie is bad. Objectivity does exist in the movie.

Can you like bad movies, sure you can, nobody going to judge you, do you need to protect your favorite (bad) movies  by saying "it's no good or bad movie, its  no objectivity in movies, it's just experience" hell no, that's just sounds redicilous.

Now problem with objectivity in art is because sometimes people really can't understand some artist, and artist can create really amazing art piece (movie, cartoon, music, book, comics, drawing, painting), and only few people will understand his talant, and this situation do exist, so it's why it's hard to have a 100 % ultimate objectivity in art industry. But it's also a lot of bad artist who can use this excuse "you just don't understand me, it's just too deep for you, or it's just a style, or it's no objectivity" and just make a terrible lazy art and call it a day.

What I feel is that people get hurt when critics criticizing their fevorite movies and saying back to critics "F...ck them " "They don't understand it" "It's no objectivity in the movie" etc. And I disagree. I think people need to be able to like a bad movie, have a favorite bad movie, and admit that their favorite movie is bad. I just feel that it's a healthier way to watch movies and react to critics  ;)

NiceGuy

NiceGuy

Okay, this could go on forever. Lets agree to disagree, but i never said that you cant like bad movies, or that you cant admit that you like them. Good production values wont equal a good movie. We all know that. I just dont think that movies are just like math equations. Basically all i was trying to say is that you like what you like, and that is more important than what the "professsionals" say. For example, everyone thinks that blade runner 2049 is a masterpiece. Maybe it is from a technical standpoint, but i still dont like it. I think its a soulless movie. Also a lot of people like The Room, which is awful in every regard, but people still like it, and not all of them ironically. Maybe my logic is flawed. Thats because i'm subjective, and so are you. You dont have to like what i think,it is just an opinion. Feel free to disagree with me.

QuoteNow problem with objectivity in art is because sometimes people really can't understand some artist, and artist can create really amazing art piece (movie, cartoon, music, book, comics, drawing, painting), and only few people will understand his talant, and this situation do exist, so it's why it's hard to have a 100 % ultimate objectivity in art industry. But it's also a lot of bad artist who can use this excuse "you just don't understand me, it's just too deep for you, or it's just a style, or it's no objectivity" and just make a terrible lazy art and call it a day.

Art is art, right? Then objectively every piece of art is art, even if you "dont get it". We all have different opinions.
You said you can be objective,and you can, but you are not objective right now. You talk about good artists, and bad ones.

QuoteYou can use this "Expirience" reason with almoust everything

Yes i can,and i will. Thats my whole point, and that is what matters.  Its okay to have your own thoughts about things, i have mine, you have yours, and theres nothing wrong with that. Cheers, mate.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: 343 on Sep 13, 2018, 05:58:33 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 13, 2018, 02:04:49 PM
39% now.

We sure are. 37%. What the hell, man!

35% Game over man, game over.

Wysps

Wysps

Even though they are legit critics, I'm not sure RT reviews will mean much when it comes to studios deciding whether a franchise will be deemed worthy enough to continue or not.  I'm more curious as to what the box office will tell us  :-X Or if the RT ratings will have any effect on the box office numbers.  Do people decide whether to watch a movie based off RT?  Wonder if there's some correlation.

Space Invader

Space Invader

What I like the most about this movie is the characters and the non-stop action.

PredBabe

PredBabe

I think the Rotten Tomato score is too excessive. A lot of the reviews that I read through had me thinking "you go into a Predator movie and complain about that?"

The scoring on IMDB seems a bit more fair but I'm aware some people tend to dislike that site for various reasons.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 14, 2018, 04:02:42 AM
I think the Rotten Tomato score is too excessive. A lot of the reviews that I read through had me thinking "you go into a Predator movie and complain about that?"

The scoring on IMDB seems a bit more fair but I'm aware some people tend to dislike that site for various reasons.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that.  There's a baseline for what to expect from a Predator movie.  Trying to come at it from the same perspective as, say, Pan's Labyrinth just does the franchise and viewers alike a disservice.  There are a lot of good points in the reviews sure, but some of them are like - seriously?  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed