The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 70,927 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: blood. on Sep 07, 2018, 11:49:43 PMI liked alien covenant.  :-X Mainly because I didn't mind them trading the alien mystery to make david the new puppet master (and by extension, humans - which has kind of always been the case in alien movies).

I really can't decide what to expect from this film based on what people are saying. I'm liking the fanbase controversy right now though.  ;D Makes me want to see this film even more!!

We have to remember Shane Black 100% wanted this film not to be just another episode but an actual worthy addition to the franchise. He had to do something with a bit of weight to it rather then just a predator running around killing people until it's dead.

Yea but I'm utterly curious to whether or not the controversy rises to Ridley Scott's "that thing in the chair is a suit" level of canon-f**kery. Just gotta hold out another week but it is sooooo damn tempting to find out. Much like acceptance over David being the monsters father... there is a lot that I'm willing to put up with inside of Predator lore. Like using our dna to make the perfect cupcakes but just how twisted up is it. :P

Danversity

Danversity

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 07, 2018, 10:47:16 PM
John Campea? Don't listen to that shill. This guy masturbated over The Last Jedi.

I actually love The Last Jedi. It's easily my favorite Star Wars movie. And I would listen to Campea even if he had hated it because at least he understands that film is subjective and encourages people to stand by their own opinion instead of trying to trying to shove his own down my throat as some kind of irrefutable truth - which, in cinema, doesn't exist -, contrary to some people around here;)

And if we live by the philosophy "don't listen to that person, he loved/hated that movie!" you're never gonna be able to talk about movies to anyone ever, because I guarantee you that every single person in the world is gonna have at least one opinion that you deem to be some kind of geek blasphemy.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 08, 2018, 05:30:25 AM
Yea but I'm utterly curious to whether or not the controversy rises to Ridley Scott's "that thing in the chair is a suit" level of canon-f**kery.

blood.

blood.

Quote from: blood. on Sep 07, 2018, 11:49:43 PMI liked alien covenant.  :-X Mainly because I didn't mind them trading the alien mystery to make david the new puppet master (and by extension, humans - which has kind of always been the case in alien movies).

I really can't decide what to expect from this film based on what people are saying. I'm liking the fanbase controversy right now though.  ;D Makes me want to see this film even more!!

We have to remember Shane Black 100% wanted this film not to be just another episode but an actual worthy addition to the franchise. He had to do something with a bit of weight to it rather then just a predator running around killing people until it's dead.

Yea but I'm utterly curious to whether or not the controversy rises to Ridley Scott's "that thing in the chair is a suit" level of canon-f**kery. Just gotta hold out another week but it is sooooo damn tempting to find out. Much like acceptance over David being the monsters father... there is a lot that I'm willing to put up with inside of Predator lore. Like using our dna to make the perfect cupcakes but just how twisted up is it. :P

man the amount of spoiler tags I've been tempted to open is excruciating. It's painful having to wait another week!

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Unless they reveal that the Preds are a race of Jason Statham-like-creatures dressed as crab-like-monsters, I don't think so :P

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Actually Roger Ebert website gives scores with maximum rating of 4 not 5.

Insulin

Insulin

How can anyone not like colossus predator. Man, the way he armored plated himself was bone chilling.

Danversity

Danversity

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Sep 08, 2018, 07:07:17 AM
Actually Roger Ebert website gives scores with maximum rating of 4 not 5.

Yeah, so far Tallerico's review's been the best I've read - not in the sense of being the highest one (though I think it was that too), but for how he wrote it and analyzed it.

maron

maron

Spoiler
SPOILER:

The ending:
Why would they invade us? Have we become a threat too much, technologically?

It's the Evil-aliens-want-to-enslave/eradicate-us thing again? It feels overdone.  :-
[close]

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: blood. on Sep 08, 2018, 06:32:20 AM

man the amount of spoiler tags I've been tempted to open is excruciating. It's painful having to wait another week!

I feel the same way my friend! It's so dificult!  :-[

Xan21

Xan21

Quote from: Insulin on Sep 08, 2018, 07:52:30 AM
How can anyone not like colossus predator. Man, the way he armored plated himself was bone chilling.

Because it is more something for a cartoon/ transformers movie or something.

yautjapet

yautjapet

Quote from: Xan21 on Sep 08, 2018, 11:08:41 AM
Quote from: Insulin on Sep 08, 2018, 07:52:30 AM

Because it is more something for a cartoon/ transformers movie or something.

Yes, the "bigger and better" route feels sort of generic and shallow to me. Personally, I always felt that what was both scary and interesting about the predators was their cunning, intelligence, skill, ambiguous code of conduct, and swift and brutal efficiency, rather than how big they were or what snazzy gimmicks and gadgets they had.

brokentusk420

brokentusk420

Quote from: Cheetah on Sep 08, 2018, 03:49:08 AM
bbrokentusk420 haven't seen the movie and already latched on all the negative reviews (forgetting the fact that rottentomatoes still show an overall postive rating for the movie). How typical of these haters.

::)Rotten Tomatoes is a joke.  Anyone who still takes their ratings serious is naive. This review is as objective and they come. The movie is a steaming pile, and there is nothing to see. It's not just haters. It's a big pandering mess, with zero direction.   

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Sep 08, 2018, 04:41:58 PM
bbrokentusk420 haven't seen the movie and already latched on all the negative reviews (forgetting the fact that rottentomatoes still show an overall postive rating for the movie). How typical of these haters.

::)Rotten Tomatoes is a joke.  Anyone who still takes their ratings serious is naive. This review is as objective and they come. The movie is a steaming pile, and there is nothing to see. It's not just haters. It's a big pandering mess, with zero direction.   

So you did see it. Superpowers probably  :laugh:

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 08, 2018, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: brokentusk420 on Sep 08, 2018, 04:41:58 PM

So you did see it. Superpowers probably  :laugh:

So BigDaddyJohn I guess you kind of have an idea about the ending, is it so terible that it would be yours lowest entery in the Predator franchise? Of course you didn't see the movie yet, but what is your idea? No spoilers please  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed