The Predator Reviews

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 07, 2018, 07:18:45 AM

Author
The Predator Reviews (Read 70,303 times)

skhellter

skhellter

So it's shit and it somehow got even worse than the draft that leaked?

Spoiler
Predator Iron Man Suit? With Dreadlocks?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
[close]

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

So i'm thinking the ending changes the nature of the predator itself ? Mmm... If i'm right, we're in for some weird experience...

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: Hollywood on Sep 07, 2018, 02:10:49 PM
Another positive review is in at RT:

https://theplaylist.net/shane-black-predator-review-20180907/

Score: B+

71% on RT now.

Ohhh shit that's good, that's rotten tomatoes went up

Quote from: azamultic on Sep 07, 2018, 02:18:23 PM

71% on RT now.

6 to 2 right now. 75%. Not that it is saying much at this point.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Can't wait for NECA's
Spoiler
Iron Man suit figure.  :laugh:
[close]

ZEd

ZEd

The movie will be fine as long as it gets that certified fresh rating on RT.

brokentusk420

brokentusk420

Alas, within the Black oeuvre, "The Predator" lands more between "The Last Boy Scout" and "Iron Man 3," being a mixture of the flippant-knucklehead-machismo species with frantic comic-book action. Though there's gore and creatures aplenty, say goodbye to any remaining horror element in this series. Now we've got a sort of mashup of Indiana Jones, "Jurassic Park," and a flying-kung-fu movie, no longer scary in the least but hella loud and busy.

For an entry that can't take itself seriously for a minute (excluding the inevitable mawkish half-minute of affirming "it's about family"), this one doesn't actually seem to have a humorous angle on its source material. Like everything else here, it tosses out its dumb yucks and rare good Iines with pummeling haste audiences don't have time to groan before the next explosion or stunt fall or CGI effect usurps their place. It's an exhaustingly energetic mess in which a coherent plot and credible characters aren't even on the cluttered menu. When general audiences queue up for the onslaught (the film opens a week after its Toronto Film Festival premiere), they may well resent being so crassly pandered to. Then again, they may lap it up.

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: azamultic on Sep 07, 2018, 02:18:23 PM

71% on RT now.

Hopefully it stays high!

Xan21

Xan21

Rotten tomatoes can't be taken seriously... comprimised as hell.

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: Xan21 on Sep 07, 2018, 04:13:26 PM

What can be taken seriously? No sarcasm ;)

TheLoneRanger

TheLoneRanger

From Slash Film Review ...

- Shane Black's The Predator takes the Predator franchise and turns into a full-blown comedy.

- While there have been a handful of amusing moments in the Predator franchise as a whole, no single film goes for as many wall-to-wall jokes as Shane Black's The Predator.

- The Predator is loaded with jokes. In fact, there might be too many jokes. In some respects, The Predator is like the Thor: Ragnarok of the franchise – the film that takes what came before and turns it all into a pretty funny gag.

**Ugh ... Thor Ragnorok sucked too.  And was tonally / character inconsistent with how the protagonist was portrayed in the 4 films that preceded it.**

- It sounds ghastly, but almost all of the violence is played for laughs. The Predator is no longer a scary unstoppable force. It's a punchline.

All this not to mention, I've heard that something happens in the climax and finale act that significantly alters the mythology, and perception of the character of the predator in general.

This all has me bummed.  The Marvelification / Deadpool spin to now a Sci-Fi Horror / Gore franchise.  Like really?!  Do we really need the homogenization of everything to be the exact same now?

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: azamultic on Sep 07, 2018, 04:18:32 PM

I guess our own personal opinion of the movie, there will never be a better Predator movie in my mind than the original, but i also love Predator 2 and don't see why it was so criticized. I know we all would have love Dutch to be back, but Harrigan was good and fit well in the time it was released

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: The Wolverine Predator on Sep 07, 2018, 04:28:09 PM
Quote from: azamultic on Sep 07, 2018, 04:18:32 PM

I guess our own personal opinion of the movie, there will never be a better Predator movie in my mind than the original, but i also love Predator 2 and don't see why it was so criticized. I know we all would have love Dutch to be back, but Harrigan was good and fit well in the time it was released

I agree with everything! Predator 2 is my all time favorite ;) But I was talking about subject of reviews. We do listen to other people's opinion, it's normal thing, and usually we do listen to people's opinion about the subject they know, it's why we have critiques and reviewers. yehh sometimes they are wrong, sometimes we just not agree with them, but we still interested in what they are saying. So I was wondering what Xan21 count as a serious source for movie reviews  ;)

yautjapet

yautjapet

Quote from: TheLoneRanger on Sep 07, 2018, 04:27:25 PM
- The Predator is loaded with jokes. In fact, there might be too many jokes. In some respects, The Predator is like the Thor: Ragnarok of the franchise – the film that takes what came before and turns it all into a pretty funny gag.

**Ugh ... Thor Ragnorok sucked too.  And was tonally / character inconsistent with how the protagonist was portrayed in the 4 films that preceded it.**

- It sounds ghastly, but almost all of the violence is played for laughs. The Predator is no longer a scary unstoppable force. It's a punchline.

All this not to mention, I've heard that something happens in the climax and finale act that significantly alters the mythology, and perception of the character of the predator in general.

This all has me bummed.  The Marvelification / Deadpool spin to now a Sci-Fi Horror / Gore franchise.  Like really?!  Do we really need the homogenization of everything to be the exact same now?

I know Thor Ragnarok was well-received, but I didn't like it - too many crammed-in jokes, not enough time for the few serious moments to land without yet another one-liner - and I strongly dislike Deadpool, and my fears about the same happening to The Predator are apparently turning out to be true. Obviously humor is subjective and lots of people enjoy that style, but I don't know if that level of constant joking suits a Predator movie. But I could take a hundred dumb jokes if they didn't screw with the lore the way they did...! 

Hollywood

Hollywood

It's simply a collection of everyone's review and a percentage of critics who recommend the film. It's worth taking into account but some people think a movie that is at 50% means it's a terrible movie when really it means 50% of critics recommend it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed