Predators
29 (3.5%)
The Predator
3 (0.4%)
Prey
2 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 756

Author
Favourite Predator Movie? (Read 311,162 times)

Huntsman

Huntsman

Predators is definitely not without its issues, and it does mimic the original too much at times. But it has a lot less issues than some of the other dumpster fires, namely The Predator and Requiem. The concept may not be fully exploited but it's still a good one. It does enough.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 05, 2006, 08:48:13 PMYou know. I love 'em both. I find them both really entertaining. It's so hard to choose.
Can we just appreciate that this thread is old enough that there were only two movies when it started?

Even adding AvP only brings it to 3.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

And snipped. For the love of God everyone, do we really need to antagonize each other like that? It's supposed to be a place of interest and passion, let's do it without attitude towards each other - whether directed or in general.

Predators is a film that I think is highly underrated. Objectively I have issues with it - my main one being there should just be the one Berserker Predator, not 3 - and I'd have like to seen the River Ghost (or some other alien) play a more prominent role in the film. But that the film turned out as good as it actually is is amazing.

I went into Predators expecting an absolutely terrible film. I've never had such a turnaround after seeing a film.

Quote from: Huntsman on Jul 31, 2022, 08:43:41 AMit does mimic the original too much at times

For all the flaws I have in the film, this is still one I will never agree with. The amount of times the film does this is actually quite minimal compared to the AvPs.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I was just remembering when I was a kid for the first time getting into Predator (as well as Alien) via VHS rentals prior to 2004, back when I was completely ignorant of adulthood and therefore lived in relative bliss with a bunch of sci-fi monster movies.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2022, 07:28:55 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 05, 2006, 08:48:13 PMYou know. I love 'em both. I find them both really entertaining. It's so hard to choose.
Can we just appreciate that this thread is old enough that there were only two movies when it started?

Even adding AvP only brings it to 3.

It is pretty wild. I was thinking about this with some of the negative commentary on Facebook regarding Prey and the outrage around comparing it to Predator 2 and I'm sat there like "I remember when you were called names for enjoying Predator 2."

SiL

SiL

Predator 2 gained a lot of love after successively underwhelming sequels, but I'm old enough to remember when it was the underwhelming sequel and rightfully considered a step down.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The original reaction's not necessarily the correct one, Predator 2's definitely a step down, but people treated it ridiculously harshly in comparison to other genre films in particular, it is not as pedigreed or original as Predator certainly but it is a whole lot of fun. Predators falls somewhere in between them for me and does not quite achieve the qualities of either one. Prey looks to be a step up honestly.

SiL

SiL

It got the same reaction other trashy late 80s/early 90s action films got, because that's what it was; a big, violent, pulpy mess with no sense of direction, no clear theme, no sense of pace, just a bombastic, exhausting melange of scenery chewing mayhem.

That doesn't mean it's unlovable, but it does make it very niche.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

All of that's absolutely true but I can't think of a film that does that stuff better honestly.

Kradan

Kradan

You guys and gals are lucky @Voodoo Magic isn't here to hear you

SiL

SiL

Robocop is what Predator 2 wishes it was.

They even ripped off the opening.

Kradan

Kradan

You know, I've heard that comparision being made some time earlier and was totally baffled how I didn't realise that myself

Quote from: SiL on Aug 01, 2022, 09:24:58 AMThey even ripped off the opening.

They also ripped off something else from another popular movie  ;D

SiL

SiL

That's another problem with the movie. Some of its best elements are shamelessly taken from other movies and it's not even subtle.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

...Never seen it, the 2nd and did not plan on it because of the reputation of the 3rd one.

SiL

SiL

The first is brilliant. It's pulp excess done right.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed