The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 16, 2018, 12:30:59 PM

Author
The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread (Read 134,486 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 04, 2021, 01:07:33 PM
I mean, it's interesting isn't it, but I think they were quite right to scrap this direction for wandering too far from what people would expect from a Predator film.

That being said i'd still love to see it one day.

Yeah, I'm one who believes this is one of those rare cases where the studio interference actually helped salvage the film from being a total clusterf*ck of a movie. A movie that still retains some of its clusterf*ck ingredients like a 11 foot - 700 lb Predator, Autism chasing, a hybrid Predator-Puppy-Pet, a kid ending up working for the government, and so on.

Xiggz456

The autism chasing actually makes sense in the context of the film as the upgrade Pred really doesn't rely nor use much technology so it and his clan likely prefer to upgrade their biology as opposed to upgrading their technology (ie armor skin and thermal vision). Rory figured out Predator tech and language in the span of an afternoon which would probably look like a pretty appealing biological upgrade to that clan. Hence the autism chasing.

All that aside I personally abhor studio interference and wish they'd just let the director fulfill their artistic vision. We'll probably never know if that version was any good or not but I'd love to see it someday.

SuperiorIronman

I could've had a giant gecko monster. Does it belong in a Predator film? In this one yes because it's supposed to be out of place. It'd have been dumb as shit but it would've been entertaining compared to what we got.

Was Illfonic in charge of the reshoot cause everything I hear about what could've been sounds way more interesting.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 04, 2021, 02:41:19 PM
We'll probably never know if that version was any good or not but I'd love to see it someday.

Any good? I don't know. For curiosity sake, definitely, I want to see it. But when you think there is a scene out there filmed featuring Emissary Predators trying out smoking with Nebraska's cigarettes, I'm inclined to think maybe the test audiences did us (and the franchise) an awfully big favor. We could have had a real franchise killer on our hands. It's bad enough they kept the headshot-Pred-Puppy-is-now-my-friend in.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 04, 2021, 02:54:30 PM
I could've had a giant gecko monster. Does it belong in a Predator film? In this one yes because it's supposed to be out of place. It'd have been dumb as shit but it would've been entertaining compared to what we got.

My turn off is all of theses creatures are Predator hybrids. I would have been much more interested in them if they were just collected alien creatures from different worlds intended to be released and hunted.

QuoteWas Illfonic in charge of the reshoot cause everything I hear about what could've been sounds way more interesting.

Ouch!  You really think all of Predator Hunting Grounds lore work is worse than The Predator script?

Master

Idk. I think I'd prefere version with wierd monsters.

Kradan

Kradan

Same

The autism chasing actually makes sense in the context of the film as the upgrade Pred really doesn't rely nor use much technology so it and his clan likely prefer to upgrade their biology as opposed to upgrading their technology (ie armor skin and thermal vision). Rory figured out Predator tech and language in the span of an afternoon which would probably look like a pretty appealing biological upgrade to that clan. Hence the autism chasing.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 04, 2021, 03:53:00 PM
We could have had a real franchise killer on our hands

Could have ?  :D

SiL

SiL

It only 'makes sense' because Rory's autism is highly selective and disappears when it might inconvenience the plot.

Xiggz456

And? It still makes sense to the film which you're not contradicting so I'm not sure where you're going with that comment  ???

But if you want an explanation for Rory's differing levels of functionality I'd say that it's not uncommon for people on the spectrum to implement "masking" to deal with society. And it's easier for them to do this when they have someone who they feel safe around (his dad). Take it or leave it but that could easily explain away the (non)issue that you see with Rory's portrayal.

SiL

SiL

My point is the context itself is stupid (and broken) so it doesn't really forgive anything. Whatever the justification, you're left with a plot about an alien monster trying to harvest movie autism from a child to advance itself biologically. No part of that sentence is anything other than moronic.

And that's really not how autism works. Alarms and dogs barking bother him, but guns, grenades, and helicopters are fine? That's not masking, that's magic.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 04, 2021, 03:53:00 PM
We'll probably never know if that version was any good or not but I'd love to see it someday.

Any good? I don't know. For curiosity sake, definitely, I want to see it. But when you think there is a scene out there filmed featuring Emissary Predators trying out smoking with Nebraska's cigarettes, I'm inclined to think maybe the test audiences did us (and the franchise) an awfully big favor. We could have had a real franchise killer on our hands. It's bad enough they kept the headshot-Pred-Puppy-is-now-my-friend in.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 04, 2021, 02:54:30 PM

My turn off is all of theses creatures are Predator hybrids. I would have been much more interested in them if they were just collected alien creatures from different worlds intended to be released and hunted.

QuoteWas Illfonic in charge of the reshoot cause everything I hear about what could've been sounds way more interesting.

Ouch!  You really think all of Predator Hunting Grounds lore work is worse than The Predator script?

It's very safe as far as Predator plots go. Guys drop into jungle, fight bad guys, Predator shows up. The entire setup is basically the original film without the character interactions and all the intriguing bits happening off screen. Cleopatra? Offscreen, Predator Killer and hybrid weaponry tests? Offscreen. Dutch's adventures? Offscreen. Even with the raids on Stargazer headquarters to figure out what they're doing out in the jungle is off screen and we're literally going to a few of these bases. The logs are alright but the more interesting adventures and concepts are not happening with the player's group. And even then the stuff we have to do is all business. Our role in the story begins and ends at the mission.

Now they aren't writers and ran out of time. And that's the problem. It's setup is too safe and the player has nothing to work with. They never addressed that. Our Predator and FT don't have anything to do besides the gameplay loop. All our characters say roughly the same thing and don't interact beyond that. The logs are alright for lore enthusiasts but that's not the plot of the game given we don't interact with any of that. Flavor text is not plot. The thing is that I can't say.., walk into the nearest encampment, shoot my friends, consume their bodies for nourishment, and then join Stargazer. This isn't Skyrim, our characters and objectives are pre-determined meaning that while I can customize them to my hearts content, they're characters who exist within the universe. The fates are left up to the player, but I can't get 87 Dutch killed and it have an impact on the universe.

I say all this that I do think it's a better plot because our heroes are participating in these important events. They aren't secondary to Dutch, or Keyes, or the OWLF. The plot stinks, but you can tell the plot of The Predator, you can tell them what McKenna or Traeger did in that movie. We know who Doctor Brackett is but I can't tell you thing one about who the drug lords in Val Verde are. I don't know who the Derailed traitor is. I don't know Dante so beyond having a body on the team I know as much as the flavor text says. We don't even know what Cleopatra looks like. 

SiL

SiL

But what about the backstory in the logs. How is that written?

The game didn't strike me as the kind that was trying to put the player through a narrative during gameplay, but was rather all about the hunter/hunted experience. Is it fair to criticise then for not letting the players experience the plot when that never seemed to be the point?

Xiggz456

Quote from: SiL on Aug 04, 2021, 10:15:56 PM
My point is the context itself is stupid (and broken) so it doesn't really forgive anything. Whatever the justification, you're left with a plot about an alien monster trying to harvest movie autism from a child to advance itself biologically. No part of that sentence is anything other than moronic.

And that's really not how autism works. Alarms and dogs barking bother him, but guns, grenades, and helicopters are fine? That's not masking, that's magic.

LOL so your argument is just YOUR opinion that you think it's moronic and stupid. Well whether you like it or not, your opinion  doesn't change the fact that it makes sense in the context of the film. Also you're coming across as very ableist but you do you bro.

SiL

SiL

Didn't take you very long to abandon the conversation and resort to personal attacks.

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 04, 2021, 11:28:15 PM
Well whether you like it or not, your opinion  doesn't change the fact that it makes sense in the context of the film.
Whether you like it or not, it doesn't change the fact the context of the film doesn't make sense.

QuoteAlso you're coming across as very ableist but you do you bro.
By acknowledging autism doesn't stop and start at people's convenience?

Ableism would be trying to downplay or minimise aspects of the condition that aren't considered desirable by neurotypical people. Like the film does.

Xiggz456

Where was the personal attack? That I said you're coming across ableist key words "coming across".

If the context of the film doesn't make sense to you than that's on you. But clearly you have your opinion which is all you'll hear so once again you do you.

SiL

SiL

You're pretty dug in refusing to even try to understand what I'm saying but ok, I'm the one not listening.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed