Predators
29 (3.5%)
The Predator
3 (0.4%)
Prey
2 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 756

Author
Favourite Predator Movie? (Read 310,633 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Allan Yelpir on Oct 23, 2019, 10:06:55 PM
Btw regarding 'Predator 2': is there any explanation from cast or crew at that time why they put an Alien skull up that wall?

There's no elaborate explanation really. Basically, they thought it would be cool.  ;D

Samhain13

Samhain13

I think the first AVP comic was released before Predator 2. Could be a reference to that.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Predator 2: Loud, stupid and an absolute joy to watch.

Kradan

Kradan

WEEEE !

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 23, 2019, 10:48:47 PM
I think the first AVP comic was released before Predator 2. Could be a reference to that.

I remember John Thomas basically taking credit for that scene inspiring the AVP comics. 

Oops. :laugh:

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 24, 2019, 12:19:20 AM
Predator 2: Loud, stupid and an absolute joy to watch.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 23, 2019, 10:48:47 PM
99% sure one of the Stan Winston crew said that was it. The comic was running during the production of P2 so they threw it in as a little nod.

Allan Yelpir

Allan Yelpir

.. every day a little smarter .. Thank y'all!   :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Oct 24, 2019, 05:37:06 AM99% sure one of the Stan Winston crew said that was it. The comic was running during the production of P2 so they threw it in as a little nod.

Basically this. They mention it in the Hunters and Hunted making-of doc.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, definitely.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 24, 2019, 08:36:39 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 24, 2019, 05:37:06 AM99% sure one of the Stan Winston crew said that was it. The comic was running during the production of P2 so they threw it in as a little nod.

Basically this. They mention it in the Hunters and Hunted making-of doc.

Sorry, thought the nod to the AvP comic was obvious. But they did it basically because they thought it would be cool. No deeper meaning.

Who gets the credit for the idea depends on who you ask. John Rosengrant says it was himself and Shane Mahan.  Stephen Hopkins credits Stan Winston in the doc. And John Thomas suggests it was a "we" effort in his commentary, without defining we.

What do I believe? That it was neither Stan Winston nor John Rosengrant and Shane Mahan that originally came up with the Alien Skull idea, because the Alien skull was in the film's storyboards long before, seemingly like a throw-away fun cartoon doodle.

Fun fact. The director Spider-Man Into the Spider-verse drew many of the Predator 2 storyboards, so it could have been him.  :)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 24, 2019, 11:06:44 AM

What do I believe? That it was neither Stan Winston nor John Rosengrant and Shane Mahan that originally came up with the Alien Skull idea, because the Alien skull was in the film's storyboards long before, seemingly like a throw-away fun cartoon doodle.

SiL

SiL

How long before Stan Winston's team came on board were the storyboards done? I would've thought they were working around the same time.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 24, 2019, 11:11:08 AM

https://media2.giphy.com/media/sZn9IDozfRlGo/giphy.gif

Your wish is my command!  :)

Check out the third panel.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 24, 2019, 11:27:34 AM
How long before Stan Winston's team came on board were the storyboards done? I would've thought they were working around the same time.

If my memory is serving me correctly, Stan Winston got the job in December of 1989.

There were three wave of storyboards that I know of. The first phase featured a white caucasian Mike Harrigan, second featured additions with an African-American Mike Harrigan, and then Revisions.

Director Stephen Hopkins came on in the Summer of 1989 and said they started storyboarding Predator 2 before a completed script, and even storyboarded scenes before they were actually written in the script.  The first draft was completed in October 1989. The storyboard above appears to be part of that first storyboard wave. That's where my personal belief is rooted from.

What's frustrating with Predator and Predator 2 is so much supplemental reported history has conflicting facts, omissions and half-truths. Like the work of Robert Short's team, and their creation of Predator mandibles turns into a James Cameron idea on a flight?  Or the comic Concrete Jungle Issue #1, which was a heavy, heavy inspiration for Predator 2, isn't even mentioned in the story process?  Yep, to anyone who wants to learn about the history, it's frustrating to be unsure what to believe.  :-\

Kradan

Kradan

Thanks, Voodoo  ;)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

You're quite welcome!   :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed