Predators
29 (3.5%)
The Predator
3 (0.4%)
Prey
2 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 756

Author
Favourite Predator Movie? (Read 317,738 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's my speciality!

Spoiler
;)
[close]

SiL

SiL

Predator 2 has the good grace to not treat me like a f**king moron for the entire first act, and for that alone will always surpass Predators.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I know you've said it before but I just never felt that.

SiL

SiL

Having characters walking up to stuff and deliver unnecessary, heavy-handed expository dialogue every two minutes is not giving credit to the audience to watch the film and process even the most basic information themselves. Trejo's death is the most egregious example -- They come across a scene that looks like a trap. One of the characters demonstrates it's a trap. Great. Then another character explains that it's a trap, and how the trap is supposed to work, even though literally everything we just saw before he opened his mouth said it well enough visually.

I'm forever surprised they don't look at the planets and say "BUT THAT SHOULDN'T BE THERE? I GUESS WE AREN'T ON EARTH! GUYS, WE AREN'T ON EARTH, BECAUSE ON EARTH, ONLY THE MOON IS VISIBLE IN THE DAY, NOT OTHER PLANETS!"

f**king hate it honestly.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I admit that made me smile. I see your point. It's just not something that bothered me. I guess I'm just an idiot.  :laugh:

SiL

SiL

Hey, I didn't say not being bothered by it made anyone an idiot  :laugh: Just that it feels like the film doesn't trust me to be able to understand its incredibly subtle, nuanced story of "people in a Predator movie get hunted."

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 25, 2019, 07:31:00 AM
I know you've said it before but I just never felt that.

Same.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, of Predators' faults, that's never one I've found personally.

Mostly just hate that they squandered Fishburne's character so badly. What could so easily have been the best part of the movie became the worst.

Kradan

Kradan

I never felt that there was not enough of Noland in Predators. And I really enjoy what we got with him.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It's not the screentime, it's that the character is wasted and Fishburne's performance is frankly kinda awful. There was so much potential there and the film completely blows it.

There's also the fact he's supposedly been alone, scavenging and fighting for his life on this planet for years and years, and yet he looks like a couch potato.

SiL

SiL

It's the Brando effect ;D

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2019, 08:42:40 AM
It's not the screentime, it's that the character is wasted and Fishburne's performance is frankly kinda awful. There was so much potential there and the film completely blows it.

There's also the fact he's supposedly been alone, scavenging and fighting for his life on this planet for years and years, and yet he looks like a couch potato.

'shrug'

Maybe if I took movies from such realistic perspective I would enjoy less number of them. The Predator, for instance  :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I enjoy a silly movie as much as anyone. But Predators strikes me as a film that's trying to be mostly quite serious. In that context, Fishburne's character lacks believably.

Which wouldn't bother me so much, if I didn't see so much potential there for something new and interesting in the franchise.

SM

SM

I didn't see any problems with Noland, though his hefty stature is a fair point.

I do love "You're in my house, motherf**ker!"  ;D

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 25, 2019, 08:42:40 AM

River Ghost Stew is apparently extremely fatty.

My problem with Predators other than its blatant retreads of the first film is it doesn't do anything particularly well.

It's not horrible, it's not wonderful, it's just plainly competent which makes nothing in it memorable . The action, the direction, the effects, the dialogue, the characters, the acting, the cinematography, the score, nothing stands out on it's own and makes its mark... where Predator 2 does that often in multiple categories.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed