Predators
29 (3.5%)
The Predator
3 (0.4%)
Prey
2 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 754

Author
Favourite Predator Movie? (Read 269,887 times)

Alien³

System Apollo

System Apollo

I wouldn't personally say that the action itself was cheesy. You have to remember Hollywood was a total different place during the 80's (yes that even includes 1990).  The cinematics were merely an average product of their time.

Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 16, 2015, 04:43:59 PM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Sep 16, 2015, 02:51:42 PM
The chessy jokes

Which jokes :-\

There was a lot of them. Some used in context and some of them out of context.

QuoteSo the doctor told me, "I need a urine, semen and stool sample." And I told him, "Gee doc, I'm kind of in a hurry could I just leave you my underwear?"

Is an example of one of the film's jokes within the context of it being a joke.

QuoteHarrigan: Your move pussyface!
Predator: Shit Happens.

Is an example of one of the film's jokes that was not in context with the situation and became inappropriate for that particular situation.
Which is why some claim those moments as cheesy.

Bill Paxton's character was the comic relief throughout the film. After his character died in the film there's a fairly average lengthed disposition (Harrigan chasing the predator, the special operative team hunting the predator, the team having the faceoff with the predator and Harrigan coming in to rescue the team leading to him temporarily putting the predator in a state of unconsciousness) and then you notice that the predator would take the comic relief role briefly and then quickly switch back to its serious antagonist role.

This is minor and only evident in the fourth act but does leave quite a bit of an impact on how the audience would percieve the film.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Sep 16, 2015, 02:51:42 PMthe beginning action was so over the top

And the jungle camp attack in Predator isn't?

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 16, 2015, 06:28:53 PM

Is an example of one of the film's jokes that was not in context with the situation and became inappropriate for that particular situation.

It's totally in context with the situation. Plus were those played for laughs? I've never thought of those lines as jokes.

All of Bill Paxton's stuff works and is no more cheesy than Hawkins jokes from the original.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I rewatched Predator last weekend on Blu-Ray. There was a preview for Predators beforehand. I want to rewatch that as well but everytime I think about it, I recall how disappointed I was with it.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 16, 2015, 07:49:06 PM
Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 16, 2015, 06:28:53 PM

It's totally in context with the situation. Plus were those played for laughs? I've never thought of those lines as jokes.

All of Bill Paxton's stuff works and is no more cheesy than Hawkins jokes from the original.

If you didn't find it funny and thought it was in context than I am not going to disagree with your notion. After all, I'm just speculating.  :)

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 16, 2015, 10:56:59 PM
I rewatched Predator last weekend on Blu-Ray. There was a preview for Predators beforehand. I want to rewatch that as well but everytime I think about it, I recall how disappointed I was with it.
Kudos, how was it and why were you disappointed with it?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The first reason is that the writers couldn't go more than a few minutes without throwing in very ham-fisted references to the older films. It reeked of unoriginality and reminded me of how much fun I had watching Predators 1 and 2. I wasn't having fun with Predators. Overall, I found the script very weak. The dialogue was totally forgettable and the characters didn't have any chemistry together, like Dutch and his team. I know that in Predators they were all strangers and all criminals, but there still should have been something to keep them together beyond, "We have a common enemy. OK, I'll just kill you later then" type of thing. The film takes itself very seriously as a result and again, doesn't have the same fun or charm that the previous movies did. I also didn't like the design of the Predators either. Classic still had Scar's mouth problem (too big), the Super Predators were hideous and not in a good way and frankly, didn't do much to stand out from the usual crowd of Predators we've seen other than wear scarier masks. I also don't recall the Predators being particularly tall or large.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 16, 2015, 11:49:55 PM
The first reason is that the writers couldn't go more than a few minutes without throwing in very ham-fisted references to the older films. It reeked of unoriginality and reminded me of how much fun I had watching Predators 1 and 2. I wasn't having fun with Predators. Overall, I found the script very weak. The dialogue was totally forgettable and the characters didn't have any chemistry together, like Dutch and his team. I know that in Predators they were all strangers and all criminals, but there still should have been something to keep them together beyond, "We have a common enemy. OK, I'll just kill you later then" type of thing. The film takes itself very seriously as a result and again, doesn't have the same fun or charm that the previous movies did.

I agree.

But the silver lining of the Predators cloud was that it's still better than both AVP films. At least theres that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 16, 2015, 11:49:55 PMThe first reason is that the writers couldn't go more than a few minutes without throwing in very ham-fisted references to the older films.

This is an entirely valid criticism, and almost certainly the film's biggest problem, but I was just about able to get past it and enjoy the movie. And as Alien³ says, at least it was better than the AVP films.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

On Predators vs the AvP films, I'd place it on the same level as the first AvP. Both films wanted to be good but their execution was lousy. Objectively, both films are better than AvP:R but I'd sooner watch AvP:R because it doesn't take itself seriously. The filmmakers knew they were making major missteps when putting it together (namely the weak Aliens and uber Pred) but overall, it works as dumb fun for me.

Alien³

Alien³

I irony is that AVP:R has the best predator out of the three films.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 16, 2015, 11:49:55 PM
The first reason is that the writers couldn't go more than a few minutes without throwing in very ham-fisted references to the older films. It reeked of unoriginality and reminded me of how much fun I had watching Predators 1 and 2. I wasn't having fun with Predators.
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 17, 2015, 01:35:33 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 16, 2015, 11:49:55 PMThe first reason is that the writers couldn't go more than a few minutes without throwing in very ham-fisted references to the older films.

This is an entirely valid criticism, and almost certainly the film's biggest problem, but I was just about able to get past it and enjoy the movie. And as Alien³ says, at least it was better than the AVP films.
Huda really took the words out of my hands with this one!

QuoteOverall, I found the script very weak. The dialogue was totally forgettable and the characters didn't have any chemistry together, like Dutch and his team. I know that in Predators they were all strangers and all criminals, but there still should have been something to keep them together beyond, "We have a common enemy. OK, I'll just kill you later then" type of thing
The script was littered with too many references so it definitely was weak. I really didn't  expect any better from Rodriguez; writing was never his thing. Fortunately the characters were not stock characters and Rodriguez gave us the time to know them. They didn't have chemistry because that was what was intended, they weren't supposed to work well together of course if this wasn't your type of preference it's understandable.

QuoteThe film takes itself very seriously as a result and again, doesn't have the same fun or charm that the previous movies did.
Topher Grace just didn't cut it... :laugh:

QuoteI also didn't like the design of the Predators either. Classic still had Scar's mouth problem (too big), the Super Predators were hideous and not in a good way and frankly, didn't do much to stand out from the usual crowd of Predators we've seen other than wear scarier masks. I also don't recall the Predators being particularly tall or large.
Not many people notice this but if you plan to rewatch the film, Doom; pay close attention to the classic predator's mouth. It never closes its mouth, it remains open, not the mandibles; the jaw. That always bothered me... Seems like they didn't put any mechanisms in the jaw making it look unnatural. The super predators (I dislike the word super, it makes them sound like they are superior to the classic in every way  :-\ ) were definitely not so great. Never was a big fan of predators wearing bones on their helmets. Other than that the general costume design looked really monotonous in certain features.

When I look at Predators I don't see a bad film, but moreover; a mediocre one. As a fan I would like to see a good film so when it fails to deliver that expectation I usually call it bad. It is similar to how I felt about Jurassic World or Terminator Genesys. But of course, those were better recieved.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 17, 2015, 01:50:14 PM
The filmmakers knew they were making major missteps when putting it together (namely the weak Aliens and uber Pred) but overall, it works as dumb fun for me.
I think they truly believed they were making a good film. The archives here show that there was a lot of consideration on Collin's behalf.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Alien³ on Sep 17, 2015, 01:57:38 PM
I irony is that AVP:R has the best predator out of the three films.

Haha, too right!

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 17, 2015, 02:15:01 PM
Not many people notice this but if you plan to rewatch the film, Doom; pay close attention to the classic predator's mouth. It never closes its mouth, it remains open, not the mandibles; the jaw. That always bothered me... Seems like they didn't put any mechanisms in the jaw making it look unnatural. The super predators (I dislike the word super, it makes them sound like they are superior to the classic in every way  :-\ ) were definitely not so great. Never was a big fan of predators wearing bones on their helmets. Other than that the general costume design looked really monotonous in certain features.

It's the jaw? Huh, I knew something was off. I recall it looking like Scar's kisser.

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 17, 2015, 02:15:01 PM
When I look at Predators I don't see a bad film, but moreover; a mediocre one. As a fan I would like to see a good film so when it fails to deliver that expectation I usually call it bad. It is similar to how I felt about Jurassic World or Terminator Genesys. But of course, those were better recieved

Oh I don't know about T:G. I'd happily watch Predators over that pile of tosh any day of the week. A mediocre film is certainly what Predators is. It's very meh, which is arguably worse than bad. At least with bad films, you remember most of them.

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 17, 2015, 02:15:01 PMI think they truly believed they were making a good film. The archives here show that there was a lot of consideration on Collin's behalf.

Give the commentary a listen. It'll change your mind.

System Apollo

System Apollo

The commentary? I will get right to that. I always thought they were confident about their final product.

QuiGonGinNJuice

QuiGonGinNJuice

I don't understand the backlash 2 received. Sure the cops don't seem as tough as the boys in the jungle but I found Danny Glover beliveable as a hardened bad ass cop. However were i see predator 2 really shinning is in the details about Yautja culture, and its comic noir feel.

All the movies have good and bad parts to them but 2 seems to be the most true to how I see the Yautja 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed