Original Alien films

Started by David, Feb 23, 2023, 11:56:03 AM

Author
Original Alien films (Read 2,593 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: David on Feb 24, 2023, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 24, 2023, 05:23:50 PM
Quote from: David on Feb 24, 2023, 02:39:28 PMThank you for your answers. I have not seen any Alien, Predator or AvP films on Blu ray. I own them on DVD and even VHS. I am going to buy my Blu ray versions next Month.
I saw some HD videos on youtube. It looked great. I am really looking forward to buy those blu ray versions.

The Blu Ray of Alien in particular is quite a jump up from the DVD. It almost looks like it was shot recently. The 4K of Alien is again a big jump up from the Blu Ray.
I saw some comparison between blu ray of Alien and 4K. Blu ray looked better to me.

Well, it depends on your own tastes of course. The Blu Ray has a stronger teal & orange cast and there is some cropping. The 4k has more natural tones and more shadow detail. Note that Youtube doesn't really give an accurate depiction of 4k HDR tones and contrast levels.

@Elmazalman can give you a more detailed breakdown of the differences.

David

David

I saw only pictures , now i saw video on youtube, Blu ray still looked better. Than i tried to up quality from 1080p to 2160p and than i realised it. 4K still looks a bit dark to me. Maybe it is intention for movie to look more scary.

Stitch

Stitch

4K captures won't look right on a non 4K screen, because usually they're captured in HDR and then tone mapped to SDR. This means that (usually) images and video seen on the internet won't do it justice, and will make it look darker than it would on a 4K HDR screen.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: David on Feb 25, 2023, 09:30:30 AMI saw only pictures , now i saw video on youtube, Blu ray still looked better. Than i tried to up quality from 1080p to 2160p and than i realised it. 4K still looks a bit dark to me. Maybe it is intention for movie to look more scary.

The 4K is darker in places, but also brighter in others (e.g. the lamp on the trolley in the coolant locker, that spotlights Lambert, is much brighter in the near-dark storage room; a much better contrast than seen in previous releases. However, the shots of Lambert in the mess (after Dallas' disappearance) are quite dark, for a reasonably well-lit room - although the room was supposedly (?) lit more ominously after each death (compare the room's brightness level during the Chestburster death to the aforementioned scenes with Lambert).

The 4K colours are also more natural - and in one particular instance - beautiful: Ripley, heading towards the shuttle after setting the self-destruct; the deep, orange (not yellow, like previous home video releases) from the overhead flashing lights is stunning.

The horrible teal & orange (from the 2010 BD) is thankfully gone - no more green Nostromo walls and orange faces!

The increase in image resolution is my favourite bonus from the 4K. Just freeze frame the (beautiful) shot of the Alien, in profile, as Ripley almost bumps into it in the corridor - probably my favourite single shot of the creature from this 4K release.

Not a perfect release, but much better than the 2010 Blu-ray.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Depends on your tastes. My personal favourite way to watch the Alien movies are:

Alien (Theatrical Cut) - 4K UHD or Magnetic LD
Alien (Directors Cut) - DTheatre /DVHS
Aliens (Theatrical Cut) - 35mm or 1st UKld
Aliens (Special Edition) - UK laserdisc
Alien 3 (Theatrical Cut) - UK Laserdisc
Alien 3 (Assembly Cut) - Blu-ray (prefer the DVD audio however, to avoid the 'Spikey' error)
Alien Resurrection (Theatrical Cut) - US DTS Laserdisc
Alien Resurrection (Directors Cut) - Blu-ray *wouldn't ever watch this cut though*
Prometheus - 3D Blu-ray
Alien Covenant - 4kUHD or custom IMAX blu-ray

Colour grading is a huge influence on my choices- not entirely sold on the Alien 4kUHD, it's just the best I have to hand- I'm looking forward to acquiring a 35mm to change that! 😊

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed