Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5

Started by shakermakerman, Feb 26, 2015, 09:12:49 PM

Author
Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5 (Read 60,126 times)

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

I never said he 'can't do it', I was asking a simple question:

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 01, 2015, 04:28:39 PM
I've heard people say that Elysium was "boring"; can I take that to mean that Blomkamp is at least capable of making a film that 'breathes' a little more? Like, you know... an Alien film?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I was answering to that question, but if you want a short answer: yes, most likely.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 01, 2015, 05:48:39 PM
I never said he 'can't do it', I was asking a simple question:

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 01, 2015, 04:28:39 PM
I've heard people say that Elysium was "boring"; can I take that to mean that Blomkamp is at least capable of making a film that 'breathes' a little more? Like, you know... an Alien film?

I'm confident in his aesthetic sense; his designs and atmospheres are  and over all concepts are great, but that is about it. Everything else feels juvenile, clumsy, haphazard and lacks nerve, despite the conceptual potential of each project. I don't think he has the integrity and what it takes as a director to take on an Alien film, unless he just goes the easy route and decides to carbon copy one of the more popular Alien movies *cough!*

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, the guy's obviously worthless. Four Academy nominations for District 9 (including best picture) what the hell do they know eh?

Anonymous

Anonymous

plot , Ripley and hicks breaking into weyland yutani headquarters ( aliens have been used in the bio weapons dept for the last 30 years ) to finish the job .... Only way to be sure !!
Just a thought

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 01, 2015, 06:23:33 PM
Yeah, the guy's obviously worthless. Four Academy nominations for District 9 (including best picture) what the hell do they know eh?

Awards mean very little. Plenty of acknowledged amazing directors and movies out there that no one knows about. It's the studios and money that call the shots.

Never said he's worthless. Great conceptual works, but his director ability/skills is nothing spectacular. At best mediocre. I liked District9 despite the crappy second half. Had high hopes for Elysium but was deeply disappointed, and what I've seen and heard so far about Chappie does not make me feel confident in him directing an actual Alien movie.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Keep in mind that when Scott directed Alien he only had "A boy and his bicycle" and "The Duellists" on his resume. A student film and a modestly well-received low budget art film.

Cameron only had Piranha II and The Terminator.

David Fincher only had a few music videos on his resume before his debut film, Alien 3.

I think Blomkamp's credentials already outstrip those directors who went before him. Not to say there's no chance of him messing it up, but the odds are good that it will be a decent film.

Born Of Cold Light

Something positive in Blomkamp's favor is that this truly is a labor of love on his part.  It's not like Fox cooked up this whole idea and then went searching for directors.

Corporal Hicks

I would like to think we know better than to take his fandom as some form of credentials. AvP and AVPR have shown us that...

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2015, 06:49:47 PM
I would like to think we know better than to take his fandom as some form of credentials. AvP and AVPR have shown us that...

Fair enough.

ash9426

ash9426

I am very happy that the film is in Blomkamp's hands. This guys love for the sci-fi genre is admirable. I was very impressed with D9 and I was even more impressed with his short movies. He is a passionate guy and I hope he brings that passion to this new Alien project. The series needs someone like Blomkamp :)

I'm also excited that for the first time the series will be directed by a guy from my generation (more or less ;) ). Someone who grew up with these movies.  He knows he can't mess it up :P

PS. I know this could all go sideways, Prometheus taught me that lesson. But I try to stay optimistic :)

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2015, 06:49:47 PM

I am also seeing too many similarities between how fans are reacting to this news and how they reacted to avp-r.  You'd think we all would know better then to jump on the bandwagon by now.

shakermakerman

Thing is Anderson went down the pg13 road which did the movie good what so ever and the Strouse brothers where not proven directors , I thought skyline was even worse than AvPr,

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 01, 2015, 06:46:18 PM
Keep in mind that when Scott directed Alien he only had "A boy and his bicycle" and "The Duellists" on his resume. A student film and a modestly well-received low budget art film.

Cameron only had Piranha II and The Terminator.

David Fincher only had a few music videos on his resume before his debut film, Alien 3.

I think Blomkamp's credentials already outstrip those directors who went before him. Not to say there's no chance of him messing it up, but the odds are good that it will be a decent film.

What I liked about ALIEN and A3 is that it still had that film school respect for the craft and art of the film medium since both Scott and Fincher were still pretty fresh. I love Scott's early films and I find them far superior to his newer movies. Fincher has been pretty consistent, but A3 is one of his better films due to the restrictions and constraints. The tortured artist really applies.

The only Cameron film I really like is actually The Terminator. So much better than T2.

Griffith

Griffith

Something more is cooking up boys. I can feel it.

Brace yourselves epicness is comming.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed