Predator: Dark Ages.

Started by Tally101, May 16, 2014, 01:50:01 AM

Author
Predator: Dark Ages. (Read 54,730 times)

AvP4ever

AvP4ever

Wonderful work! More films need to be made in this fashion!!! Many fans are waiting....

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The script has been sent out to the backers. Haven't read it yet.

It was largely the same. The Predator had some dialogue but James spoke to me at the weekend about that. They dropped the Predator dialogue which would have been recorded and replayed like in the films because they couldn't get it to sound right. The fight was also different - much shorter. Worked out far better in the finished piece.

Darkness

Darkness

That's a shame. It would have explained why the voice graphics were on the vision mode.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm excited that Shane Black will direct the next installment. But I think the suppose release date is too far from now. Shane is a busy man now having like 4 films on his slate now. If I were Fox I think I would find someone else to make the movie now. I'm happy Shane is directing but he's so busy now. I want Fox to come out with the movie sooner for the fans. I know 2017 will be the 30th anniversary of the franchise but that also might be the soonest we'll see it.  Do you guys feel the same way should Fox find someone else to direct it that's ready to direct it now instead of waiting for Shane Black to finish up all his projects at once genes making it along time before we see the film.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Genuinely really impressed by the scope of this film. Must have taken an awful amount of work to pull off with the period setting and all. And for a fan film too - (which for copyright reasons can obviously never be for any commercial use) really comes across like a labour of love. So much so that I was more than able to overlook the (admittedly relatively large list of) problems with it. 

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Music: Fantastic. Extremely good tribute. Official soundtrack to be available?

Cinematography: Looked excellent. That's what really sold this. It looked wonderfully cinematic.

Acting: Hit-and-miss. Good in some parts, but not in others (mainly in line delivery). This, unfortunately, made it feel more like a direct-to-DVD thing, rather than completely professional.

Predator: Great costume, but suffered from the period of time! Surely, it should have been a less advanced, primal-looking Predator? I was expecting to see homeages to the elder from the second movie: Alien-looking sword instead of wrist-blades (which would have suited taking on its historical opponents) and laser on the gun, itself. Instead, it was modern. The actual workmanship which went into creating the suit was great. Didn't quite buy the sword fight at the end, mind you... Felt too human. Should have had a noticeably different combat technique - more brutal. Also thought that it was revealed too early.

Continuity: A few strange moments. The above weirdness of a modern Predator in ancient times, for instance and the Middle Eastern character saying they had noticed it bleed, even though we saw no neon green (including after arrow penetration).

Writing: Relatively well done. Could have done with some improvements and more historical research, but it did the job. Would have benefitted from things like extra dialogue for the small group of heroes to show what kind of adventures/experiences they've had, because there wasn't much characterisation for them and they came off feeling a bit too 'red shirt'-like. They were like Dutch's team, but without any of the stuff which made you feel much for them.

So, definitely one of the better efforts out there, but could have benefitted from some extra scripting and better directing. Not sure if that was because of the shooting schedule, of course.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 31, 2015, 12:03:31 AM

Cinematography: Looked excellent. That's what really sold this. It looked wonderfully cinematic.

Acting: Hit-and-miss. Good in some parts, but not in others (mainly in line delivery). This, unfortunately, made it feel more like a direct-to-DVD thing, rather than completely professional.

Predator: Great costume, but suffered from the period of time! Surely, it should have been a less advanced, primal-looking Predator? I was expecting to see homeages to the elder from the second movie: Alien-looking sword instead of wrist-blades (which would have suited taking on its historical opponents) and laser on the gun, itself. Instead, it was modern. The actual workmanship which went into creating the suit was great. Didn't quite buy the sword fight at the end, mind you... Felt too human. Should have had a noticeably different combat technique - more brutal. Also thought that it was revealed too early.

Continuity: A few strange moments. The above weirdness of a modern Predator in ancient times, for instance and the Middle Eastern character saying they had noticed it bleed, even though we saw no neon green (including after arrow penetration).

Writing: Relatively well done. Could have done with some improvements and more historical research, but it did the job. Would have benefitted from things like extra dialogue for the small group of heroes to show what kind of adventures/experiences they've had, because there wasn't much characterisation for them and they came off feeling a bit too 'red shirt'-like. They were like Dutch's team, but without any of the stuff which made you feel much for them.

So, definitely one of the better efforts out there, but could have benefitted from some extra scripting and better directing. Not sure if that was because of the shooting schedule, of course.

1. The sword was a trophy from a previous kill.
2. I thought historical accuracy was spot-on. What did you find off?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 31, 2015, 12:03:31 AM

For backers, yes.

QuotePredator: Great costume, but suffered from the period of time! Surely, it should have been a less advanced, primal-looking Predator? I was expecting to see homeages to the elder from the second movie: Alien-looking sword instead of wrist-blades (which would have suited taking on its historical opponents) and laser on the gun, itself. Instead, it was modern. The actual workmanship which went into creating the suit was great. Didn't quite buy the sword fight at the end, mind you... Felt too human. Should have had a noticeably different combat technique - more brutal. Also thought that it was revealed too early.

I feel this is a little unfair as the suit wasn't built for the film. It was an existing suit from a cosplayer. And besides, we've seen "ancient" Predators before and they didn't look particularly different either. And like Gates said, the sword was a trophy from a previous hunt. Not a Predator sword.

Don't think the Predator was revealed too early - it was a short film. I found the pacing of the film pretty perfect for the length of the film. Had no issues with how the story played out. At all.

QuoteContinuity: A few strange moments. The above weirdness of a modern Predator in ancient times, for instance and the Middle Eastern character saying they had noticed it bleed, even though we saw no neon green (including after arrow penetration).

Fair point. We don't see it bleed here. However, his whole reason for being involved in the film was because he'd had experience in Jerusalem. It probably occurred there. It could have been made a little clearer but that's what I took from that.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

I mostly enjoyed it, but it was definitely a little clumsy in places.  It's a pity, another editing pass could have ironed out 90% of the problems, in my opinion.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jun 03, 2015, 03:44:36 AM
I mostly enjoyed it, but it was definitely a little clumsy is places.  It's a pity, another editing pass could have ironed out 90% of the problems, in my opinion.

Such as? All feedback helps these guys.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

First thing that springs to mind is some of the sound effects work, such as the Predator walking.  Rather than doing foley, they seem to have used the same single-step sound effect used over and over, which makes it sound unnatural.

Also, the "limitations" of the suit could be edited around a little more.  One shot of the Predator looking like a guy stepping carefully can undo all the good work that came before it.   While I think of it (not en editing thing) it would have been cool if the Predator had been shot to fake a greater height compared to the humans.  Not a big deal, just a thought.  :)

ADC

ADC

Great job. I really enjoyed it. Raises the bar for fan films.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

You're not wrong, ADC! I really look forward to seeing how the quality of our fanfilms increase after this.

predxeno

predxeno

Wow, this film was a great work, I knew it was gonna be good but WOW.  It's refreshing to see a new take on the iconic Predator story rather than having it set in a modern urban setting, but in a medieval one (like in many of the Dark Horse comics).  I also like how at the end...

Spoiler
the Predator didn't die, for some reason I really respect this one.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It was certainly refreshing! I enjoyed that too.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed