Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read

Started by JaaayDee, Jun 09, 2012, 07:02:48 AM

Author
Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read (Read 42,720 times)

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jun 18, 2012, 02:22:05 AM
I thought Vickers would be the Ripley character in the end. A bureaucratic, no nonsense lady becomes the character we want to survive. Instead she gets crushed by a ship.

So if anything it was a genius PLOT twist. :P

DoomRulz

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Jun 18, 2012, 03:07:18 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2012, 11:50:28 PM
You know, for all the analyses thus far of the film, the only scene that really stands out to me as being totally pointless was the revelation that Vickers is Weyland's daughter. That went nowhere.
Considering how she reacted with Weyland, I figured that bit of information was obvious.

I never would've guessed, quite honestly. But why introduce it if it goes nowhere? Silly.

bleau

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 19, 2012, 04:31:50 AM
You know, for all the analyses thus far of the film, the only scene that really stands out to me as being totally pointless was the revelation that Vickers is Weyland's daughter. That went nowhere.
Considering how she reacted with Weyland, I figured that bit of information was obvious.

I never would've guessed, quite honestly. But why introduce it if it goes nowhere? Silly.

It was just there to show us her/Vickers reason for being there. She did not give a sh*t about anyone, or the mission. Look at what she say's to Janek' after Enginneer kills everybody "just take us home" . She was just looking after her inheritance. So knowing her connection to Weyland is kind of big, but not really story wise. IMO :)

Highland

She was quite a pointless character. Theron is great eye candy though so I'll let her off.

It was a little obvious when she grabbed David in the hall way. I thought maybe wife at first (in a f**ked up way), just because daughter seemed too obvious.

ChrisPachi

The film was filled with pointless characters who died for nonsensical reasons. I've watched my nephew playing G.I Joes and felt more engagement, and his characters had names like 'Bad Man' and 'Moss Face'.

How is that even f**king possible?

Alien³

A great read!

The only thing in Prommy that still isn't answered is: what does David pick up from the floor of the ship when he's wandering it alone?

I have a theory it's one of the worms seen coming from the boot of the crew later in the dome. Only the Blu-ray can answer this.

DoomRulz

Quote from: bleau on Jun 19, 2012, 05:01:20 AM

It was just there to show us her/Vickers reason for being there. She did not give a sh*t about anyone, or the mission. Look at what she say's to Janek' after Enginneer kills everybody "just take us home" . She was just looking after her inheritance. So knowing her connection to Weyland is kind of big, but not really story wise. IMO :)

Then why bring her along at all? She could've just as easily stayed at home and monitored the mission remotely.

brokentusk420

brokentusk420

Quote from: meanstreak on Jun 09, 2012, 01:47:08 PM
So Ridley and Lindeloff put all this thought and deep epic meanings and symbols/themes into the movie, but couldn't grasp how idiotic it looked that Shaw and Vickers first try to outrun the falling ship, then it takes Shaw only a few rolls to get out of the way, yet Vickers just lays there and lets it crush her?

Maybe in the chaos of all that's happening it didn't enter her mind. Or maybe she accepted the inevitable as the life boat was trash and how was she to get home? Maybe she didn't know David was still alive/working.

Quote from: killingvector on Jun 09, 2012, 02:04:04 PM
NGR01, there are definitely execution and script issues in the film. I have to echo your initial thoughts a week or so back. Felt the same way. But this journal post presents some interesting subtext to frame the storyline. It is quite a rich storyline with so much history, mythology, and religion underlying the actions of the Engineers and crew of the Prometheus. I admit, this gives me more faith in the filmmakers that they knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball on basic execution of pacing, characterization, and plotting.

And how would you have executed the pacing? The movie was already two hours long, if it drug on people would complain that it didn't have enough excitement and action. As I recall Alien gets to the point pretty quick itself. What's wrong with the characterization? I bet i can find a real life example of each one of them. Yes even the pretty boy scientist. The plotting? Really? Tell me this, its Scott's and his team's piece of art work. They weren't making it to please YOU ALL. They made it because he had a idea and wanted to create it. If you like it cool if not it doesn't mean its bad. Its just means its not for you. I don't think the Mona Lisa is anything special but there are people out there who think it is. It doesn't make it a bad painting.

So rather than spewing out problems about the film just for the heck of it why don't you elaborate. Because anyone who just had high expectations for a film and were disappointed by it can say,"Oh the was no plot and the pacing was off " or "the characters were all wrong". Stop crying about the film. ::) It in my opinion it was a great stand alone piece with very important themes that if people would step back and look at outside of their narrow minded field of vision when it comes to movies, you would see that this movie is meant to be more than the beginning of and idea started in 1979. Not to mention Scott has already said that this ISN'T A DIRECT PREQUEL and he is planning on possibly two more sequel before it ties directly into Alien.

The problem most of you have is that you thought going into this that all your questions about Alien would be answered in one two hour movie and they weren't. You left with more questions, much like Shaw was at the end of Prometheus. Her initial questions weren't answered and she was given all new ones. Why does every movie have to be all served up to you all neatly wrapped in a box? Can't a movie leave you wondering and you be satisfied with it? Thinking intellectually is one of the single greatest things humans can do and most squander it with their eternal struggle for instant gratification.

Why is everyone so hung up on the fact that the original alien creature was not in here? Or complain about how its possible origins are from a black goo substance that reacts to the emotions or intentions of what ever it comes in contact with. I think that is brilliant. It shows the duality of life/death, creation/destruction. This is after all SCIENCE-FICTION and anything is possible. Maybe the combination of the worms and the humans intentions created the hammerpead. I know that everyone loves the original Alien creature and was expecting some huge payoff of how it came into existence, but you know what as David says,"big things have small beginnings". Maybe its beginning isn't as extraordinary as its final form. A grub is nothing special to look at but, a Rhino Beetle sure is!! At the end of the day if Scott and his team says the Alien creature came into being simply by a series of events that started with the ingestion of black goo that reacts to intentions and it makes it to the movie screen, THEN THAT'S CANON. I'm not saying that the black goo intention argument is correct but it sounds good and if Scott confirms it in the commentary it will make me like this film that much more. This film is meant to be a deep thought provoker. Not a answer all prequel to Alien like you all want and expected. That's why you are all limping away with sore butts. ;D

Furthermore, I think the disappointment that everyone has with this film is a reflection of how the human race is gonna feel when we meet our creators and we find out that there is no real meaningful reason for our existence. Or how the most of you are gonna feel because you can never understand out of mental capacity what GOD truly is and what life is about. I can sleep at night just fine not possibly ever knowing all the answers and that one day I will die. I am comfortable with my own death as its not the end its the beginning of something else. These are some of the things that are brought up in the film. Society and Hollywood has conditioned you all to have such warped expectations in not just movies but life as well. Humans are the scourge of this planet right now and we don't have to be. That's why the Engineers wanted to destroy us and rightfully so. We don't deserve the gift of life as all the most of you do is consume, waste, and continue to over populate while all along bickering and fighting with one another. I welcome the destruction of the human race to cleanse this planet and let pure life reclaim it and return to balance. I would gladly sacrifice myself for that.

Mr. Clemens

Brokentusk420, I hope you don't own any firearms.  :laugh:

I liked the film. I'm not sure it's as good as you seem to think it is, but I like it, and I look forward to another one. So do many people! You might be happier talking to those folks instead.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed