Sounds like there was an alternate ending!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 02, 2018, 07:20:31 PM

Author
Sounds like there was an alternate ending! (Read 96,553 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 30, 2018, 10:05:08 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 30, 2018, 09:36:08 PM
@Perfect-Organism: if you've been able to avoid the movie up until now... maybe you should take that as a hint and just avoid it.

Ha ha!  I am sorely tempted, if not for the FOMO which is welling up in my chest.  Partly, I want to join in in the discourse on this subject, but partly I am interested to see what will happen if I go in with literally the lowest expectations ever...

Perfect-Organism

Well, I manned up and opened up the blu-ray player.  After disassembling the main housing where the head sits, lo and behold, I found ample dust.  So I took my air-brush with compressor and turned it on.  No paint of course, just pressurized air.  But it makes no sense to just move the dust around.
So, in the other hand is the vacuum cleaner.  I blew the dust with the airbrush, which meant I didn't actually touch the head, and straight into the vacuum cleaner.  And....

It worked!

Beer in hand, lights out, expectations lowered, and here I go to watch The Predator for the first time....

Nothing makes you feel like dad-material more, than opening up your own-Blu-Ray player and making it work again   8)

windebieste

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 30, 2018, 10:05:08 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 30, 2018, 09:36:08 PM
@Perfect-Organism: if you've been able to avoid the movie up until now... maybe you should take that as a hint and just avoid it.

Ha ha!  I am sorely tempted, if not for the FOMO which is welling up in my chest.  Partly, I want to join in in the discourse on this subject, but partly I am interested to see what will happen if I go in with literally the lowest expectations ever...

This is how I feel about it, too.  I'm not a Predator fan by and large; but have watched each movie at least once - except for this one, which I haven't seen yet.  I have largely avoided any reviews or other commentary but the general vibe filtering across the Community is Disappointment. 

Then this piece of idiotic 'alternate ending' featuring Ripley appears online and my interest has dived even further as it concerns me that such inane creative philosophy permeates the making of the entire movie along with the whole "Fans will LOVE IT!" bullshit is a very, very risky path to take.  And in this case, falls flat on its face to give 'The Predator' an embarrassingly bloodied nose, indeed.  This does not look good.

For me, the Big Question is 'If the movie has been so poorly received, then why drive any remaining interest it may have into the ground by releasing bullshit content that was never in the movie?' Some bullshit should just stay on the cutting room floor and not be released to the public.  Ever.  This content belongs in that category.

I'll probably end up watching a pirated copy of the movie at a buddy's house mixed in with a bunch of Asylum Studios stuff on a Saturday night.  From what I gather, 'The Predator' is at that level, anyway.

-Windebieste.

newagescamartist

Here's the thing: The Predator is a hilarious movie and it works as a comedy. If you like Predator lore and aesthetics, this movie is going to piss you off. It's practically a parody. That's why this movie frustrates the hell out of me. It ruined the franchise, but it's still very watchable. Very odd movie. Black, Dekker, and FOX must have been high. I get what they were going for, but there is no way it was going to work as a serious event film. It's almost as funny as Deadpool in certain spots, and it's as action packed as the avg Marvel movie, but casual Marvel movie fans aren't going to be interested in aliens that tear out spines and hunt autistic children in the name of climate change. Predator and Alien fans were NOT the target audience, that's for damn sure. As bad as people diss on AVP:R, it at least was made for the fanbase. It sucked, but it was definitely for the fans.

Perfect-Organism

Ok, so I just finished watching the film for the first time.

I certainly appreciate everyone knocking this film as it made it an overall enjoyable experience.

I am coming at this as a casual Predator fan.  My thing is Aliens.  So there was really nothing that overly irritated me.  I will definitely have to do a few more watches though.  Some preliminary comments:

Where did the gang all get those Indian bikes from?

The "Iron Man" armor mainly suffered from being too silly as a design.  The basic idea was not bad.

The large Pradator did not make a lot of sense to me strictly from my background as an industrial designer.  Effectively, my issue with it is anthropometrics.  On earth, we design things for the 95 percentile man.  Based on this, most people can fit in a car.  Am I to believe that the spread of Predator people is so vast that they have to design everything to fit small and large predators?  At that scale, it would be practically impossible to accommodate such size differences.  But that's my first impression.

And now on topic, yes it would have been really jumping the shark if they sent us Lt. Ripley from the future.  However, giving us the Iron Man armor further separates this series from the AVP series IMO.  We don't see this sort of tech in the Alien films.

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 31, 2018, 01:33:29 AM

Where did the gang all get those Indian bikes from?

A nearby garage, and a company that wanted screen-time. I can't stand advertising like that.
It just takes me right out of the movie.

KiramidHead

In the script the Loonies look over and see the bikes parked nearby when they ditch the bus.

XenoVC

I'm still in a state of hilarity and shock even 2 days after finding out this was actually filmed.

It's the Yutani shoulder cannon ending pumped up 100x and gleeful in its not caring about the logistics of anything.

Wweyland

Dutch or Royce would have kind of made sense (hell, even Harrigan), but this is just very random.

Predwars24

I actually think this would've been worse because it wouldn't have made any sense. Unless they planned on making Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator to help implement time travel. Even then it's wacky because shes got a breather that looks like a facehugger? I would love a new AVP but this is just a big no for me.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Predwars24 on Dec 31, 2018, 09:12:06 AM
I actually think this would've been worse because it wouldn't have made any sense. Unless they planned on making Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator to help implement time travel. Even then it's wacky because shes got a breather that looks like a facehugger? I would love a new AVP but this is just a big no for me.
Haha! So that's why James Cameron returned to make Terminator 6! I bet he's pissed off that they didn't insert Ripley into the timeline.  :laugh:

Quote from:  Perfect-OrganismI will definitely have to do a few more watches though.
Actually do what the vast majority of us did... think about it for a bunch of weeks first and then not watch it again. :P

PsyKore

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 31, 2018, 09:26:01 AM
Quote from:  Perfect-OrganismI will definitely have to do a few more watches though.
Actually do what the vast majority of us did... think about it for a bunch of weeks first and then not watch it again. :P

:laugh: Yeah, usually when a new movie comes out in either Alien or Predator franchise, good or bad, I'll still buy the bluray, but for some reason I'm completely indifferent about owning this one.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 31, 2018, 09:54:42 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 31, 2018, 09:26:01 AM

:laugh: Yeah, usually when a new movie comes out in either Alien or Predator franchise, good or bad, I'll still buy the bluray, but for some reason I'm completely indifferent about owning this one.

I was exactly this way with "Alien Covenant" actually. I do own it on blu-ray now, but I waited months. After seeing it in the theater I was just in no hurry.

irn

Quote from: Predwars24 on Dec 31, 2018, 09:12:06 AM

Don't give them ideas. I've joked before about how The Predator and to a lesser extent Prometheus took good grown up franchises down the silly Marvel comic book route, but looking at the way things are now the studio probably seriously thinks that's a good idea. Blinded by the $$$$$ that a totally different genre is making.

Quote from: PsyKore on Dec 31, 2018, 09:54:42 AM

Same here.

The Old One

The Old One

Demystifying the title creature.
One monster overtakes the
more interesting one in the plot.
The villain, one actor steals
every scene.
With stupid characters.

Am I describing "The Predator"
or the aforementioned Alien?

The difference is, all the things
the Alien prequels have going
for them in production design,
the villain winning, the classic
version of the monster firmly
established as the superior.
The excellent Prologue
Peter Weyland and David.
The virals.

The Predator has none of.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed