Predator: Hunting Grounds Is Released Today!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 24, 2020, 09:33:46 AM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds Is Released Today! (Read 12,481 times)

Corporal Hicks

After a nearly exact 15 year wait, Predator is returning to main stream gaming platforms with Illfonic’s Predator: Hunting Grounds! First announced back in May 2019, Predator: Hunting Grounds puts players in the boots of either the Predator or Fireteam members in an asymmetrical multiplayer experience that is framed around the very story formula of the original Predator!

“Predator: Hunting Grounds is an immersive asymmetrical shooter set in remote areas, where the Predator stalks the most challenging prey. Play as a member of an elite Fireteam and complete paramilitary operations before the Predator finds you. Or, play as the Predator to hunt the most worthy prey, choosing from your vast array of deadly alien tech to collect your trophies, one by one.”

Predator: Hunting Grounds is available to purchase on the Epic Store (for PC) or on the PlayStation Store! Alien vs. Predator Galaxy and Illfonic have also teamed up to give members of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy community a chance to win one of two codes for Hunting Grounds on the PS4!

Though we don’t yet know what’s in store for us, we’ll be seeing Predator: Hunting Grounds first content update towards the end of May. Previously speaking about post-release support, Illfonic’s Charles Brungardt wrote in the PlayStation Blog:

"Speaking of planned updates, we view the launch of Predator: Hunting Grounds as just the beginning. What that means to us, at IllFonic, is that we ​can continue to drop new content post launch. We do have a roadmap in place for this already. In fact, you will see the first content update​ — which will be a free one — go live a little over a month from now. And the​re will be more content updates after that. These will include many great surprises. This is part of why our community forums are so special to us. We are listening and taking your feedback to heart, whether it be found bugs or comments on the game."

If you don’t already (why not?!) head on over to the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube Channel where you’ll be able to check out our livestreams of Predator: Hunting Ground! We’ll also be reviewing the game on our podcast in early May so keep an eye out for that one! We also have a PlayStation Community where you can hook up with fellow AvP Galaxy community members to get your Predator: Hunting Grounds fix!

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest news on Predator: Hunting Grounds! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Gr33n M4n

Awesome! It's just a shame that It won't be coming to Steam.

Drukathi

I want more feedback before buying.

Voodoo Magic

I felt improvements across the board since the trial. Shocking how different it felt. I have to get more playing time in, but so far, so good!  :)

molasar

Have you guys checked a mini art book? Any interesting concept arts?

Voodoo Magic

I quickly went through it I think around 1:30 in the morning. You're prohibited from screenshoting it but I did take a couple camera pics. Nothing too compelling, but I did find this interesting:

I hope this is in a planned map we can play!

Also a closer look at the female Predator...

SuperiorIronman

Jungle Hunter for those curious is pretty close to the original though I think Scar's helmet had some influence on this. The helmet looks a bit too angular for JH as his was more rounded and Scar's had the sharper lines. The helmet looks to be a hybrid of both
Jungle Hunter cannot be changed with armor color nor can the skin pattern or dreadlock color change. The mask despite this can be swapped and add warpaint. I'm also not 100% but I think the wristblade gauntlet is also the Ilfonic version and not JH.

The P1 plasmacaster is also for some reason non existent here and I don't know why.

molasar

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 24, 2020, 01:36:08 PM
I quickly went through it I think around 1:30 in the morning. You're prohibited from screenshoting it but I did take a couple camera pics. Nothing too compelling, but I did find this interesting:

I hope this is in a planned map we can play!

Also a closer look at the female Predator...

Thanks Voodoo Magic. I believe the first screenshot was a concept art for the backwater map.

Voodoo Magic

Is there a hut structure like that already in play that I missed then?

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, that's the coastal town from Backwater.

Kailem

Yeah it's concept art for the Backwater map.

On the technical side things definitely seemed mostly improved. The framerate seems better along with the matchmaking, though there still seem to be bugs telling you you've got new stuff unlocked when you've already looked at it all, as well as unlocking field lockers. And the occasional times when the game literally just freezes that I mentioned in another thread is just terrible. They need to sort that one out asap because as the Predator it can lead to you going from fine to almost dead because the fire team is shooting you all the time you're unable to move or even tell what's going on.

It also felt like playing as the Predator was a lot harder, though part of that was definitely me doing stupid stuff and also probably going up against people who had pre-ordered and waited up to play it, so they knew what they were doing. It felt like whenever I was the Predator I was going up against these "MLG Hunting Grounds esports pro team" wannabes, yet when I played the fire team I mostly got paired with useless teammates who just split up, ran off and never shot the Predator when he jumped down and swung at people.

Speaking of the melee it feels really weak, possibly even weaker than in the trial. The elder sword takes so many hits to down someone, and uses up a lot of stamina, so it doesn't really feel any better than the wrist blades, which are also really weak. I cornered a lone player in a room and hit him three or four times with the elder sword and he just ran off, and because my stamina was all gone from using it I could only follow and do one swing every few seconds, which still didn't bring him down even though I hit him about three more times. So that kinda sucked, especially since you don't really have any choices of weapons early on.

On the plus side though the plasma caster is amazing if you can hit a fully powered-up shot. It can down someone instantly. With how crappy the melee seems to be and how good that shot is, I've come around to thinking the scout might not be such a bad class after all, since at least there you're not even going to want to use melee.

Also confirmation of there only being the three maps from the trial was disappointing, and given Illfonic's record with Friday the 13th, also entirely expected. It seems they haven't learned from their mistakes there.

Overall my first night playing was more frustrating than anything, mostly because of the fact that I didn't win a single match against a full fire team, some of which was straight-up due to the game screwing me over with bugs that cost me the match, or melee that felt like I was trying to knock over a tree with a wet newspaper. I certainly don't want to be steamrolling over full teams, but having every match end with half my kills coming from the self destruct definitely wasn't the best.

So yeah, a more frustrating first go at it than I would have liked, but hopefully things will go a bit better next time; if only because they can't go much worse! :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Hmm. I melee killed a couple of the fireteam with my gauntlet blades last night and the task felt as long as before. Longer than reality would take, but the same as the trial. I haven't tried the sword yet. What are you comparing it to? Wasn't the sword unavailable during the trial or am I just mis-remembering?

The freezing sucks. Glad I didn't experience that.

Now is it me or did many of the animations look better? From AI to simply firing our weapons, it appeared more polished.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 24, 2020, 01:58:31 PM
Yeah, that's the coastal town from Backwater.

Ack! My willingness to get inebriated during game play is my kryptonite!  Can you explore those wooden walks and enter huts?

I wonder if you'll end up being right about Dutch being just on those OWLF recordings.

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 24, 2020, 02:21:42 PM
Hmm. I melee killed a couple of the fireteam with my gauntlet blades last night and the task felt as long as before. Longer than reality would take, but the same as the trial. I haven't tried the sword yet. What are you comparing it to? Wasn't the sword unavailable during the trial or am I just mis-remembering?

Yeah you're right that it wasn't available, I'm just comparing it to the wrist blades. It seems to take about the same amount of hits to down someone (possibly even one or two more), yet drains your stamina super fast so you're lucky to be able to do that before becoming exhausted, at which point yo can't really use it properly anymore.

Plus it has way more animation priority that can sometimes leave you swinging wildly at nothing if you're not close enough, and you have to manually equip it every time you land, unlike the wrist blades which can be used with the plasma caster equipped, so you can use them immediately after coming down from the trees, which you can't do with the sword.

It just seems worse in every way than the wrist blades to the point where I'm not even sure why it's there.

Voodoo Magic

Hmm, I see. It sounds useless. Well once I get some swordplay experience I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

Kailem

Yeah definitely let me know if you're able to use it any more effectively than I was, because I'd certainly like it to be good! :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed