Possible Character Details

Started by RidgeTop, Nov 06, 2021, 05:38:32 AM

Author
Possible Character Details (Read 46,974 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 19, 2022, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 18, 2022, 10:45:58 PM
I find it a bold strategy to market a project by generating so much negative buzz.

In all fairness they're not marketing it. This is all leaks that they likely don't want out for exactly these reactions.

Indeed, this is what the marketing will look like:

Directed by Sir Puffer Jacket himself.

Kradan

Kradan

I guess

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 19, 2022, 09:12:13 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 19, 2022, 07:08:49 PM
I don't think that's true.  If anything, having lowered expectations only serves to increase the likelihood of being pleasantly surprised.  It's when people go into something expecting the second coming of Christ that their preconceived notions are liable to negatively impact upon their perception of the experience.  If one goes into a film or TV show with rock bottom expectations, then the only way is up.

Prometheus must have been the second coming of Jesus...at least that's what many people thought. Marketing agreed with them.

Spoiler
I was one of them 😭
[close]

Preciously.  Prometheus remains my single biggest cinematic disappointment of all time.  It still hurts all these years later; all that wasted potential and what it could have been.  I was so hyped for the movie in the run up to its release and I was expecting it to be a masterpiece.  It took quite some time for me to come to terms with how bad the movie really was, because it hurt as a fan of the series and of Ridley's Scott's previous sci-fi films.  That's what expectations do and that's why no expectations or low expectations are better than going into something expecting to love it.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 19, 2022, 09:18:29 PM
No I think you had a point. Not expecting anything is different to expecting trash. One is going in completely fresh, the other is going in having to be won over.

What you're referring to is people who actively hate something on principle and will purposefully go into it, wanting it to fail, but we're fans on a forum devoted to Alien and Predator, discussing an upcoming Alien TV series.  Nobody here is hoping for it to be terrible.  Nobody is going to sit down to watch it, with the mindset of "I really hope this blows chucks and as a fan, makes me really angry".  So, no; low expectations, or indeed even expecting trash, is not the same as wanting something to be trash.  As fans of Alien, those of us with low expectations only stand to be pleasantly surprised because we want it to be good, we just fear it won't be.

It's not like we have no goodwill and are actively campaigning for the show to be The Worst Thing Ever Made™.  It's just that the material released and/or leaked thus far is questionable and invites criticism.  It doesn't mean that we've written it off completely and won't give the show a fair shake once it airs.  It just means that we'll be going into it with tempered expectations; which is a good thing.  Ever since the disappointment of Prometheus, my philosophy for this sort of thing has been "hope for the best, expect the worst" because that way you can never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised.  It's a good philosophy.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 19, 2022, 09:58:56 PM
What you're referring to is people who actively hate something on principle and will purposefully go into it, wanting it to fail

No, I'm not.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 19, 2022, 10:20:15 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 19, 2022, 09:58:56 PM
What you're referring to is people who actively hate something on principle and will purposefully go into it, wanting it to fail

No, I'm not.

You said that the problem with rock bottom expectations is that it results in the viewer having to be "won over".  Is that not true of any film or TV show?  We can't come to a final critical opinion of whether or not we like something until we've watched it.  Any preconceived notions or expectations, prior to seeing the final piece, do not dictate the objective quality of the piece itself.

As an example, let's say that someone watches a film and finds it to be terrible.  It's not terrible because they decided so before seeing it.  It's terrible based upon their perception of the finished film's execution. Equally, if a film is great, it's not great because someone went into it expecting it to be great.  It's great because they were impressed with the artistic execution of the final film.  Expectations are not a soothsayer's prophecy awaiting to be fulfilled, rather they are mere suspicions, based upon educated guesswork and a deduction of the material seen up until that point in time.  Having a low expectation does not alter the creative execution of the final piece.  Rather, the work onscreen speaks for itself.

Expectations are merely a form of educated prediction, based upon the information at hand.  The potential outcome of those expectations, based upon seeing the final film itself, depends on what one's expectations were as they walked into the cinema...

* One state (low expectations) holds the potential to lead to a path of either the continuation of the status quo ("the film was bad, as I suspected it might be") or unexpected elation ("my fears were unfounded - it's great! What a pleasant surprise!").

* Whereas the other state (high expectations) leads to, in an absolute best case scenario, the continuation of the status quo ("it was great, as I knew it would be!") or at worst, bitter disappointment ("I was so hyped for it but it was awful!").

Note that whilst both states of expectation hold the potential for the viewer to exit the cinema contented, only one of those states can result in an emotional net negative, leaving you worse off than when you walked into the cinema.

I've watched so many films which I expected to be awful but ended up loving and so many films which I expected to be great, but ended up hating.  The former cases represent some of my most joyful filmic experiences and the latter, some of my most painful.  Therefore, prior experience has taught me is to keep my expectations in check when it comes to a newly announced installment within a beloved series.  I've never found there to be such a thing as possessing too little hyperbole or anticipation for a new movie or TV series.  In fact, I've always found a healthy dose of tempered expectations to be ultimately beneficial to the viewing experience.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 19, 2022, 09:19:30 PM
Indeed, this is what the marketing will look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUiboPRPOzo

Directed by Sir Puffer Jacket himself.

The things some people will do for money.

A L I E N
Is not Android
So boring 😴

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

BREAKING NEWS: Noah Hawley is set to remake the original 1979 classic Alien and here are the character names...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maine Tagnist - A professional woman destined to defeat the alien

Lee Derr - The Captain in charge of the ship's crew

Kurio K.T. Catt - The unfortunate soul, who's eagerness to explore, leads him to a face-to-face encounter with an alien parasite

Lambert Tao Slaughter - A nervous wreck of a woman, destined for a terrible fate

E. Quall Tee  - An engineer, who disputes the pay situation for lower classes onboard the ship

Sayyid Freddies - The ship's second engineer, who mostly only ever says one particular affirmative word

Robert Bott  - The ship's science officer with a secret you will never guess!

razeak

razeak

WTF lol..  Those are terrible haha.

Kradan

Kradan

Take my money

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 20, 2022, 05:01:19 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Noah Hawley is set to remake the original 1979 classic Alien and here are the character names...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maine Tagnist - A professional woman destined to defeat the alien

Lee Derr - The Captain in charge of the ship's crew

Kurio K.T. Catt - The unfortunate soul, who's eagerness to explore, leads him to a face-to-face encounter with an alien parasite

Lambert Tao Slaughter - A nervous wreck of a woman, destined for a terrible fate

E. Quall Tee  - An engineer, who disputes the pay situation for lower classes onboard the ship

Sayyid Freddies - The ship's second engineer, who mostly only ever says one particular affirmative word

Robert Bott  - The ship's science officer with a secret you will never guess!

This makes me yearn for some cheap, Turkish knock-off Alien action figures:

Kradan

Kradan

Mace Window lol

Kailem

Kailem

That one's not fooling me, I can see right through it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Kradan

Kradan

Alien-Man !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed