Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 210,774 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Private Buttz on Jul 02, 2021, 01:30:33 PM
The problem with these films having political messages nowadays is that it's almost always entirely one sided. I miss the days when art would present and idea, or start a discussion but ultimately leave it up to the audience to decide. Sure it usually had a point of view, but these days stuff is bordering on propaganda. I'm tired a turning on a film to have someone's politics shoved down my throat. Here's hoping for some subtlety...

Nowadays? Remind me again in what era art was explicitly wishy washy and refused to commit to making any actual statements? Hate to break it to you but anything that's out there is making a statement.

Was it left "up to the audience to decide" if the mega-corporation that treated its employees as the means to an end for profit is actually bad? :D It was hardly subtle about it, either, seeing as that was quite literally the basis of the inciting incident that kicks the entire plot in motion...

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 02, 2021, 04:34:34 AM
Don't care as long as it's quality. That's all that matters.

Truly. That's what matters.

The only thing about including politics is that, if it's really clearly about pushing a particular viewpoint for the sake of it (as opposed being there to serve the story), it can very easily undo a lot of otherwise genuinely good stuff and can stand out like a sore thumb. That's always the danger of making that stuff a focal point, as opposed to sub-text in the background.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2021, 11:02:08 AM
I think it'd struggle a bit if it just went straight forward like that - you know how much I loathe the characters having to play catch-up with the audience, so I'd hope to see something more going off there, something unique and new for the audience too.

I've often said this was a major flaw of 'Predator 2' and I remember reviews of the time mentioning it. While I don't think it got the execution right, it was also a big part of why I liked the idea behind the 'Hunters' comics: A group of characters who already knew as much about the Predators as the audience do.

Perhaps it could be like 'The Boys' or the 1990s 'Dark Skies' show: An outsider being brought into such an organisation, who serves to represent the view of unfamiliar viewers, while the group represents that of pre-existing fans. Interaction between the two helping to create drama when not enough budget for action scenes exists.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2021, 12:06:32 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 02, 2021, 04:22:01 AM
Heck, even Parker was constantly focused on shares and "the bonus situation". Him and Brett were all about the money. :)

Because the corporate/capitalist-fueled society that they exist within is all about the money. Not like they exactly have any other options... which the film is very blatant about.

But nor did we see Parker or Brett lament it. They were happy to be rolling in money and owning shit.

I mean, what are we saying the films were supposedly advocating as an alternative economic model? Communism? A primitive bartering system? Or are we assuming regimes like that of China, Venezuela and North Korea are free from abuses and political corruption, because... No. :laugh: Ask people who suffered under it in Eastern Europe how they feel about it and they'll give you some real horror stories.

Either way, the films never really touched on the economic systems of nations. A look at Gateway Station was the closest we got to how things ran back home.

QuoteRemind me again what mentality brought the creature itself on board and lead to... literally every single problem that the characters experience?

Nothing which is peculiar to Capitalism, itself.

I mean, if anything, the way Weyland-Yutani and the USM went about going after the Alien with zero ethical safeguards has far more in common with how the Chinese Communist Party is presently going about conducting genetic engineering and biological warfare research (areas in which it's frighteningly ahead of the West in, for that same reason).

Quote from: Private Buttz on Jul 02, 2021, 01:30:33 PM
The problem with these films having political messages nowadays is that it's almost always entirely one sided. I miss the days when art would present and idea, or start a discussion but ultimately leave it up to the audience to decide. Sure it usually had a point of view, but these days stuff is bordering on propaganda. I'm tired a turning on a film to have someone's politics shoved down my throat. Here's hoping for some subtlety...

It really depends on how much of a focal point this stuff could be. Like you say, politics have often been a part of science-fiction, but they knew not to be too on the nose about it.

One of the great things about 'Babylon 5' was how it was the anti-'Star Trek' of its time: It openly acknowledged how problems like poverty would reach across not just demographic barriers, but species barriers, too. It represented a more realistic vision of the future, by actively reflecting those issues and revolving some episodes around it in clever ways. But it was always there to serve a story and shape events or a character's personal arc. Major characters and even entire species died because of it and the show made a point to deal with those consequences, which then affected other things.

But it didn't make a point of focusing on that to the detriment of the main story. The moment a show does that and pushes a political agenda in a painfully obvious ways, people are going to cringe and turn off in droves. Case in point being 'Falcon And the Winter Soldier', where a character made a speech decrying how literal terrorists shouldn't be labelled as terrorists (with the only visible response being the entire crowd solemnly nodding their heads in agreement).

Doesn't mean social issues shouldn't be touched on, but nobody's going to tune in because of them. And I doubt Disney is going to even dare to touch on, say, allegories for how slavery, concentration camps and human organ harvesting are widespread in China, even though you could easily use an ET race, like the Arcturians (or the UPP, itself, if they're taking stuff from the board game), to highlight such things and do some serious geopolitical good.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 02, 2021, 03:45:39 PM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2021, 11:02:08 AM
I think it'd struggle a bit if it just went straight forward like that - you know how much I loathe the characters having to play catch-up with the audience, so I'd hope to see something more going off there, something unique and new for the audience too.

I've often said this was a major flaw of 'Predator 2' and I remember reviews of the time mentioning it. While I don't think it got the execution right, it was also a big part of why I liked the idea behind the 'Hunters' comics: A group of characters who already knew as much about the Predators as the audience do.

Hold da phone! Okay this one I have to push back my friends. :)

As not just a reader of reviews of Predator 2 but a collector of them during 1990, other than not having the gravitas of Arnold Schwarzenegger, critics labeled Predator 2 as ultra violent, trashy, tasteless, crass, classless, mean spirited, loud, obnoxious and dumb!  But a common complaint in 1990 was definitely not the audience being ahead of the characters - that I can attest to! ;D

But alas, with no recurring characters, you're not often going to be dealing with characters that know what they're dealing with - especially when we start delving into period pieces. But fortunately, it doesn't bother me like you fine gentlemen!

marrerom

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 01, 2021, 08:05:44 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Jul 01, 2021, 07:59:31 PM
QuoteIt's a story that's set on Earth also. The alien stories are always trapped... Trapped in a prison, trapped in a space ship. I thought it would be interesting to open it up a little bit so that the stakes of "What happens if you can't contain it?" are more immediate.

Well, Shit. The creativity well must be bone dry. I was cautiously optimistic that this show would have potential (There are a lot of interesting ways to tell a story when not constricted by a 2 hour theatrical runtime).  Now, I fear that we are in for a retread of AvP/AvP-R. I just hate the idea of Aliens being on Earth. I mean, It seems that the only way for this tv series to NOT contradict the films would be if they set it after Alien Resurrection.

Contradictions with the films are neither here nor there to me, to be completely honest. I just want it to be good, first and foremost.

If it all works into a neat canon, awesome! If not, that's cool too. I'm more concerned with Halwey actually being able to say what he wants to say with the series (and with whether or not what he wants to say is actually going to be interesting), than I am in whether or not the series falls nearly onto a timeline.

I get what you are saying, I really do, but for me the ability of any new Alien product (be it TV show or film) to fit in with existing lore & continuity is directly related to its quality. I have a STRONG attachment to the characters, story arcs, and mythology established in the Alien Films and for a new property to disregard them just doesn't work.  I mean, come on, If you aren't going to have an Alien TV series fit into the world/continuity established in the Alien films then what is the point? You might as well just make an original show that is free to do whatever it wants and is completely separate from that Alien franchise.   

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: marrerom on Jul 02, 2021, 06:12:53 PM
I get what you are saying, I really do, but for me the ability of any new Alien product (be it TV show or film) to fit in with existing lore & continuity is directly related to its quality. I have a STRONG attachment to the characters, story arcs, and mythology established in the Alien Films and for a new property to disregard them just doesn't work.  I mean, come on, If you aren't going to have an Alien TV series fit into the world/continuity established in the Alien films then what is the point? You might as well just make an original show that is free to do whatever it wants and is completely separate from that Alien franchise.   

As it stands, the ongoing continuity that we do have isn't even 100% uniform. The idea that David created the Alien and that the Engineers are the humanoid creators of humanity doesn't totally mesh on a literal level with what is presented in Alien – but thematically, the idea that the sadistic robot with repressed sexual urges, the desire to play God, and a hatred of humanity creates the Alien does thematically enhance what is seen in the original film. On a similar note, the egg on the Sulaco in Alien 3 makes no sense at all on a literal level after Aliens, but I dig Alien 3 so I am willing to just roll with the mystery egg.

And at the end of the day, I am more than willing to overlook canon discrepancies in service of an overall theme and/or good/interesting individual installments within the franchise.

RhinoAlien

"So you will see what happens when the inequality we're struggling with now isn't resolved. If we as a society can't figure out how to prop each other up and spread the wealth, then what's going to happen to us?"

Goddamn. This sounds bad. Yes, Wey-Yu is hardly the best corporation in the world, but it's far from free-market capitalism. This would not be the first bastardized serialization of a beloved franchise to make a political screed. This guy sounds ungrounded in basic economics and political philosophy. Sure, the Alien-universe is strongly implied to be a crony capitalist dystopia, where people in general, even the good ones, are often very flawed. Go with that, that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Don't go woke poop all over our franchise.

426Buddy

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

What I find so funny here is that there are some genuine red flags one might have with this series – the Earth setting, the franchise's first venture into a serialized format and the cinematic limitations that might come along with that, the new leadership at Disney/20th Century Studios, one's own opinion on the quality Hawley's past work if they happen to not like that, etc.

But what people are complaining about instead are Hawley's very general statements on the political angle that has been inherent to the literal surface-level narrative of Alien since 1979. :D

Enjoy

I am wanting to see tottaly souless CEO action that reflects the current pollitical climate. More so then aliens.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: SiL on Jul 01, 2021, 11:04:38 PM
The films were always explicitly anti-capitalist and were acknowledged as such at the time.
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 02, 2021, 12:34:32 AM
The "screw the diverse entertaining-political correctness-any political reverence" bandwagon seems to forget themes of their beloved lore, or how political entertaining can be.  :laugh:
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 02, 2021, 12:53:28 AM
Yeah man! f**k political themes about corporations and rich people using lower classes like lifeless things, because after all this is a franchise about.. corporations.. using lower classes.. as expandable assets to get to the titular alien. Do people that complain about wOkEnEsS and Pc cUlTuRe even remember what the plot for these movies are?
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 02, 2021, 02:05:15 AM

You all miss the point: quality/execution. That's the actual concern. People are just afraid it's gonna be shit, that's it. Entertaiment has been always political in one way or the other, but there's a giant difference between great old films with political/social undertones, done by great directors, and pushy propaganda garbage like Mulan 2020/Ghostbusters 2016, done by talentless hacks. And Alien films were never pushy/forced with its themes.

And since when motherhood theme is "woke"?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TomT on Jul 02, 2021, 08:08:03 PM
And Alien films were never pushy/forced with its themes.

Yeah, subtle.

Gazz

I am losing my f**king mind.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: TomT on Jul 02, 2021, 08:08:03 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 01, 2021, 11:04:38 PM
The films were always explicitly anti-capitalist and were acknowledged as such at the time.
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 02, 2021, 12:34:32 AM
The "screw the diverse entertaining-political correctness-any political reverence" bandwagon seems to forget themes of their beloved lore, or how political entertaining can be.  :laugh:
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 02, 2021, 12:53:28 AM
Yeah man! f**k political themes about corporations and rich people using lower classes like lifeless things, because after all this is a franchise about.. corporations.. using lower classes.. as expandable assets to get to the titular alien. Do people that complain about wOkEnEsS and Pc cUlTuRe even remember what the plot for these movies are?
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jul 02, 2021, 02:05:15 AM

You all miss the point: quality/execution. That's the actual concern. People are just afraid it's gonna be shit, that's it. Entertaiment has been always political in one way or the other, but there's a giant difference between great old films with political/social undertones, done by great directors, and pushy propaganda garbage like Mulan 2020/Ghostbusters 2016, done by talentless hacks. And Alien films were never pushy/forced with its themes.

And since when motherhood theme is "woke"?
Can you tell me what is subtle about "That damn corporation! What about our lifes!" or "Crew expandable"? Where is the undertone in "I don't know which species is worse"? The motherhood theme(which comes with the SA one that you decided to ignore) is actually subtle, but the anti-corpo shit was always in your face.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed