Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 212,549 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 01, 2021, 08:30:25 PM
Weird, I know, for a notoriously pro-capitalist franchise like Alien.

They were anti-corporate, but that's not the same as being anti-Capitalist. The films have never really focused on criticising the economic model of Capitalism, itself (or advocating the alternative).

Heck, even Parker was constantly focused on shares and "the bonus situation". Him and Brett were all about the money. :)

The closest the sequel got was the understandable concern about the Nostromo's huge monetary value, from an insurance perspective. The criticisms Ripley exhibits are all about Burke's sleazy corporate attitude and his sociopathic indifference to human life, nothing about Capitalism.

Yes, the company is hungry to get its hands on exploiting the creatures, but you'd get that from a similar entity operating under a Communist-style regime, too. Indeed, the recent Gibson script revival depicts that very same scenario occuring. And the USM, in the fourth film, is very much a big government-led initiative, not a private company. We could even go to the prequels and Daniels semi-championing personal property rights, in the form of the small home she was going to build with her significant other.

Anti-corporate, yes. Anti-Capitalist, not so much. You can be against cronyism, corruption and workplace abuse and still be pro-Capitalist.

And let's not forgot that if Weyland-Yutani is half as much of a monopoly as the EU paints it as being, it has no real competitors we're aware of. That's not really Capitalism. Competition is something the free market depends upon and needs in order to thrive.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jul 02, 2021, 04:05:34 AM
I expect it to be political.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQqOdfc7pw

And if anything deserves to be outrightly so-

It's Alien.

Don't care as long as it's quality. That's all that matters.

BlueMarsalis79

Then I recommend people make their judgements by watching Noah Hawley's other takes on existing IPs to see how he tends to handle it.

Baron Von Marlon

I remember liking Fargo season 1, 2 and kinda 4.
If he can turn that weird/interesting/funny thing into weird/interesting/creepy other thing, it should at least be better than average.
But as with most things, I try not to get my hopes up.
If I did hope, it's for a conclusion before David's story.

BlueMarsalis79

He can definitely do creepy in human characters and in Inhuman ones.

Legion proved that to me and he gets influences from interesting places.

And used only practical monsters so far apart from one.

GoroPredator

I really do hope that I'm wrong but going by that description, in this day and age, I'm guessing the poor people will be predominately woman and minorities with the typical gay character through in there to mix up the drama. They'll be shown as "tough"/violent but somehow misunderstood whereas the rich will be portrayed as irredeemably evil and very likely white. Why not just let Blomkamp make another District 9 cause this sounds right up his alley.
Noah did good with the 1st season of legion but then tried to shift the focus to having Syd being the saviour despite showing her being just as bad as David. Spoiler ( She brands David a rapist despite her doing a similar thing to her stepdad). Fans called him out for the hypocrisy and of course that was ignored.
The dude's a mixed bag, could make something worthwhile but that description doesn't give me much confidence. With Predator also getting the woke treatment I almost wish the series fell into a deep hyper sleep, both franchise have been so beaten done and it just doesn't look the quality will ever return. 

BlueMarsalis79

David's indeed a rapist, just because Syd also assaulted someone does not make what he did all okay, even if it makes them hypocrites- but as you know he and she gained absolution (not redemption) in the final Season.

I do not think he handled Lenny as a typical queer so I do not see any reason he will make that mistake here.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: marrerom on Jul 01, 2021, 07:59:31 PM
Well, Shit. The creativity well must be bone dry. I was cautiously optimistic that this show would have potential (There are a lot of interesting ways to tell a story when not constricted by a 2 hour theatrical runtime).  Now, I fear that we are in for a retread of AvP/AvP-R. I just hate the idea of Aliens being on Earth. I mean, It seems that the only way for this tv series to NOT contradict the films would be if they set it after Alien Resurrection.

I can guarantee you 100% right now that it's nothing like AvP or AvPR. It'd take some major back to the beginning to make it even remotely like that.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 01, 2021, 07:25:47 PM
The political angle here is the last thing to be complaining about. :D That is all right in line with the portrayal of the world in the first three films (and the one we're living in right now).

My biggest hangup/cause for concern right now lies in how muddied that inherent political stance might become in the grand scheme of things (fellow mega-corp Disney is bank rolling this thing, after all – I hope it doesn't try to justify the angles that Weyland-Yutani is playing),

That's actually quite an interesting thought. The W-Y of entertainment owns Alien, a series that's very much against that kind of company..

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 01, 2021, 10:23:59 PM
Yeah definitely something like Predator 2 could have played out well in an episodic format I think!

I think it'd struggle a bit if it just went straight forward like that - you know how much I loathe the characters having to play catch-up with the audience, so I'd hope to see something more going off there, something unique and new for the audience too.

Quote from: Richman678 on Jul 01, 2021, 11:49:46 PM
Hope they don't turn it into a woke fest. I have faith in Hawkey though.

Still not sure i like it's on earth.

Man, I wish I'd have saved his tweet. But to quote Tristan Jones - "Alien was never f**king asleep".

I'm actually quite interested in this from a thematic pov. I find myself relating to the conflict a lot as I get older and spend more time working for large companies and get to see the inept in positions of power and wealth. Naturally it'll all depend on execution, but I think the theme is very much at home with Alien.

426Buddy

I see the anti "woke" crowd has never seen an alien movie before :laugh:

It always pains me to hear people absorb and repeat stupidity with meaningless buzz words like "woke".

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 02, 2021, 11:02:08 AM
Man, I wish I'd have saved his tweet. But to quote Tristan Jones - "Alien was never f**king asleep".

Got it!

Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

Seriously this is what sucks about forums, the lack of nuance around the political vs non political.  The "woke" and "anti woke" straw manning that goes on. People choose their side and stick to it full stop.

The Alien franchise is political, it always has been and I don't think I need to say why.
The Alien franchise has always had a diverse cast, again I don't think I need to explain why.

In my opinion I believe those saying its shouldn't be political or complaining about the "wokeness" mean one of two things:
1. They mean this literally - in which case they don't understand the franchise as it has always had political themes and a diverse cast.
2. The insertion of political themes that do not fit the story, but are included just because the director wants to send a message, or characters that are included solely for their identity traits.  Note I am not saying neither is not viable, I am saying it must be done to enrich the story and the characters need to be well written.

I agree the terms woke etc. are unhelpful, but it also doesn't help when this is all people focus on rather than the possible nuance.  At the end of the day we are all fans, share a community and surely want a great story so that it is well received and we get more great stories.

skhellter

The interview seems to suggest that this will take place..

post-Alien3.

amirite?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jul 02, 2021, 03:57:24 AM
If you got a good movie, with a proper cast, a good script with well written dialogue, no one cares about a political analogy.

Wait what? The political stance/analogy/aspirations of a film, what it is actually saying in conjunction with the "proper cast, a good script with well written dialogue" is a a major contributing factor in what actually makes a movie good. It is literally baked into that "good script" you're citing.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 02, 2021, 04:22:01 AM
Heck, even Parker was constantly focused on shares and "the bonus situation". Him and Brett were all about the money. :)

Because the corporate/capitalist-fueled society that they exist within is all about the money. Not like they exactly have any other options... which the film is very blatant about. Remind me again what mentality brought the creature itself on board and lead to... literally every single problem that the characters experience?

Private Buttz

Private Buttz

The problem with these films having political messages nowadays is that it's almost always entirely one sided. I miss the days when art would present and idea, or start a discussion but ultimately leave it up to the audience to decide. Sure it usually had a point of view, but these days stuff is bordering on propaganda. I'm tired a turning on a film to have someone's politics shoved down my throat. Here's hoping for some subtlety...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed