Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 212,521 times)

Gentleman Death

I was very much hesitant about the whole black goo thing but White has done a good job in grounding it and making it something more interesting which can be expanded on if handled correctly.

I'm still iffy with it but definitely more open to it than before.

Immortan Jonesy

I agree.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 27, 2021, 11:05:18 PM
I don't get it.  The black goo is painfully boring to me.  I didn't even like it when The X-Files did it first.

That's Scott's one. Things have changed since White's books.

BlueMarsalis79

I like it in Covenant not so much in Prometheus but agreed.

Immortan Jonesy

Oh yeah, there was an improved with Covenant without a doubt.

BlueMarsalis79

I loved the whole naturalist angle, and although it is not explicitly defined on film, you can see the patterns in things it does in David's Drawings.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I hear what you're saying, and I love the drawings. The victorian naturalistic style of everything, something never seen before in Alien.

Nightmare Asylum

Hammer Horror David.

Give him a sequel, please.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 27, 2021, 11:35:31 PM
I read The Cold Forge, but I still don't see the appeal.

If I can paraphrase Lovecraft and Dark Horse EU, with a liberal sprinkle of headcanon; it's the dormant liquid form of something that always was and always will be, but currently isn't.

And you might get something that's aesthetic but lacks The Skull if you let that logic revert far enough to an apex form so don't gripe.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 28, 2021, 09:10:44 AM
If I can paraphrase Lovecraft and Dark Horse EU, with a liberal sprinkle of headcanon; it's the dormant liquid form of something that always was and always will be, but currently isn't.

This is the gist of where my thoughts were after the release of Prometheus; from that movie, without the recontextualization that came with Covenant, my takeaway was that the Alien was either natural or was created even before the Engineers, and that the pathogen was the Engineers attempt to distill/control the Alien in a more manageable form. Of course, we learn in the film that even the goo form proved to be too much for the Engineers to handle and it destroyed the LV-223 installation and killed all but one Engineer. Much like humans at Weyland-Yutani and the USM meddling with things they don't understand, the Engineers too were in over their heads and unable to control their experiments.

judge death

I havent read cold forge but prometheus and covenant and fire and stone and other material seem to me just make the pathogen to a: it does whatever the story writer wants it to and not much logic to it.

Prometheus showed us the black go creates life and created humans, and it also mutate anything it touches to new creatures, and if eaten and the species mate it will produce a new lifeform.
And then we have the murals and we know they had deacons and xenos before hand. Also what the green crystal does with the pathogen is unknown.
We also know the pathogen is a weapon and kills and melts whatever it touches and not transform the creatures into new things, going against what we saw in prometheus.
and now it creates wildlife and flora too and spores that makes backbursters and the new white creatures I cant remember the name of.
In the books and comics we see the pathogen mutate things and not kill and even make hybrids, humana nd alien thing.

To me it does anything xD

Local Trouble

Would now be a suitable time to say it?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

To add on to my above post, and to recontextualize it in the wake of Covenant – I obviously now no longer see the pathogen as the distilled form of the capital-A Alien, but rather, it is the raw material in its creation. I don't know if the Engineers created the pathogen, or if they found it thousands of years ago, but either way it is an ancient and mysterious biological matter and, in their time with the pathogen, the Engineers seem to have experimented and discovered properties that lead to the birth of the Deacon and other similar creatures, which are what the Engineers have depicted in the LV-223 installation's mural. The process through which the pathogen infects and changes lifeforms seems to be randomized, unless guided by an outside force, but with several dominant, consistent traits that can be harnessed and shaped to yield a desired result (acid blood, the elongated head, the gestation period inside a living host, etc). David, through his own experimentation with the pathogen, created his own perfect organism with a more rigidly defined lifecycle, the Alien that we know from the original films, and in a sense became a god/creator in a way that transcends what the Engineers before him had managed to achieve in their own experimentation with the pathogen.

BlueMarsalis79

Prometheus does not show it creating humans though, it shows an Engineer drinking an unspecified liquid, then being disintegrated and spreading his DNA in the water that's all.

The Pathogen as we know it causes death, either by cellular breakdown, or by creating a hybrid form, that always develop identifiably similar features.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 02, 2021, 01:28:34 AM
QuoteThe Pathogen's internally consistent with obvious rules, within the films themselves, mainly Alien Covenant though I believe.

It does not result in the biomechanical for a start in fact the opposite. But with other things present recognisable in the titular Alien. Simplest organisms logically appear to change the fastest like Demodex folliculorum or Demodex brevis most often visible in the eye or worms becoming Hammerpedes.

As stated it's designed to clean a planet of all non-botanical life. To achieve this it ultimately either kills you outright or creates a hybrid form, the former we see with the Engineers on Planet 4 and with the Engineers on LV-223, the other we see with what happened to Doctor Charlie Holloway and Sean Fifield and the exploding head. (Becoming unstable hybrid forms themselves with high aggression, bulbous, bloated, with further distending arms and legs, pale skin and a overall virulent infected appearance- hence Prometheus the film mentioning Ebola in the story multiple times for a real life comparison) And afterwards it spawns Neomorphs from Motes and Pods. (hybrid forms) I do not think it's as complex as appearances suggest.

"The Deacon" (In essence a Neomorph itself in all but origin) only exists because by David's own admission the Pathogen reacts to human sexual organs in an alternate way, hence he uses Doctor Elizabeth Shaw's to fashion the Alien, and bring an equally worthy artificial intelligence in his eyes into existence.

Because in terms of function it's all in essence identical:

A Pathogen infected sperm and ovum/Pod/Egg
Trilobite/Mote/Facehugger
Deacon/Neomorph/Alien

And Alien The RPG, The Cold Forge and Into Charybdis, expand on this in logical ways.

judge death

Thought it was pretty clear it was the pathogen but its something that has never been clearly explained.

Still the pathogen in the comics made it do other things than that you explained and parts of prometheus, and it in covenant made plants and different creatures, which didnt follow that path.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'm talking what's currently considered canon and in the currently considered continuity.

David explains fairly clearly it's function.

It only targets fauna not flora.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed