Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 210,711 times)

[cancerblack]

I think you're mostly right, except for them giving a f**k about continuity with rez.

Nightmare Asylum

Resurrection as this dangling future thread is something worth retaining, imo, if only because it puts an expiration date on Weyland-Yutani.

The story of Resurrection itself is contained enough that it never has to be mentioned in any other story, but I do like the idea that WY does eventually collapse in on itself.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 15, 2020, 09:36:23 PM
I think you're mostly right, except for them giving a f**k about continuity with rez.

Yeah, true. A:R is probably the first Alien movie to be retconned out of existence as it doesn't really have a fan base and the amount of material based on the A:R era is minimal.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 15, 2020, 09:42:54 PM
Resurrection as this dangling future thread is something worth retaining, imo, if only because it puts an expiration date on Weyland-Yutani.

The story of Resurrection itself is contained enough that it never has to be mentioned in any other story, but I do like the idea that WY does eventually collapse in on itself.

Unfortunately I doubt that the studio and execs care about that. Unless Scott manage to acknowledge or even tie the prequels to A:R I'd say that A:R is in a pretty sh*tty position if push comes to shove.

Kimarhi

The Big Deletion!

David Weyland

Here's a work around on the 'Set on Earth' idea, Story of Weyland Yutani Earth bound team trying to find the Covenant after Advent message and or cryosleeping colonists wake up mid David Xeno making party, video messaging Earth for help...leads to 3rd prequel movie

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 15, 2020, 09:43:29 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 15, 2020, 09:36:23 PM

Yeah, true. A:R is probably the first Alien movie to be retconned out of existence as it doesn't really have a fan base and the amount of material based on the A:R era is minimal.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 15, 2020, 09:42:54 PM

Unfortunately I doubt that the studio and execs care about that. Unless Scott manage to acknowledge or even tie the prequels to A:R I'd say that A:R is in a pretty sh*tty position if push comes to shove.

I'm as big a fan of rez as you're likely to find, I genuinely enjoy it and have probably watched it more than any other entry in the franchise.

I still wouldn't shed a single tear over it being directly contradicted by new media.

T Dog

Sorry if this has already been answered but is the show going to be canonical to the movies?

Stitch

Quote from: T Dog on Dec 15, 2020, 11:14:16 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered but is the show going to be canonical to the movies?
Don't know yet

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Prez on Dec 15, 2020, 11:41:12 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 15, 2020, 09:51:45 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Dec 15, 2020, 03:36:04 AM
Set on earth - not too far after A3 - and with Engineers trying to use aliens to wipe out humans... could be a good show.

This is exactly the kind of thing I hope they don't do.

The show needs to be small-scale and horrific, not silly "epic" Marvel action with Aliens in it.

Hawley has been very good on Fargo in doing just that - making small scale stories that really are intriguing filled with fascinating characters you get very heavily vested in. I honestly hope he can pull off similar with this new show.

I think no matter what Hawley and FOX will keep it claustrophobic and contained somehow. An alien series won't have the budget for anything epic and grand. At least not in the setting. The premise doesn't demand anything large scale, though I could see why you would visualize it that way. The threat just needs to loom.

If they DID do something large scale and on earth, I'd want something like the GENOCIDE story.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 15, 2020, 08:03:34 PM
Scott's success with random android show probably means that they will keep the prequel movies in play.  That said, I bet fox forces them to play in the post Aliens/Alien 3 timeline.

I agree about the timeline. The story will most likely be happening in tandem with the Aliens/Alien 3 timeline or right after. I also think season-long, loosely related story-arcs are the most obvious way forward, and the best way to tie up all loose-ends in the series.
Actually, I can say one thing I'm sure Disney WON'T do is delete stuff from the canon. I would fully expect if A:R or anything else is ousted it's because it's so far away from the timeline of the show or away from the plot it's just not relevent. I wouldn't be surprised to see things heads in those directions, for instance, suggesting cloning and stuff in later seasons.... but only if it got that far and is very sucessful. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ripley season either.

As it is now, we will likely see the Company, the aliens, and Colonial Marines but there is a lot that can be done. Engineers could have a season, David, LV223, LV426, Planet 4, mining colonies, Newt's tale, Amanda Ripley, android stuff, Ripley, cloning, bioweapons. There is really a lot to work with before they - HOPEFULLY never - bring in the Predators.

Fuuuhhck. A season set on Gateway station would check every box for me!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Still crossing my fingers and hoping that whatever role a "company" plays pulling the strings here, I hope it actually isn't Weyland-Yutani. There's room to explore other organizations here, with potentially different (but no less sinister) corporate goals.

I don't want to see EU stories ever get adapted, but Alex White's The Cold Forge did something like this really well with Seegson pulling the real strings, and their upcoming book Into Charybdis seems to be doing it again with a new company named McAllen Integrations.

On a similar note, I also wouldn't mind departing from the standard, capital-A Alien in this (though I doubt they'll do that - gotta have that iconic imagery!). Prometheus and Covenant (and, to some degree, even Resurrection) opened up a whole can of worms that can be explored, especially when you introduce the idea that other beings are tampering with the Alien (or the raw Engineer materials that make up the Alien). Something a bit less "perfect organism," a bit more explicitly sexualized with less of the "purity" of the original design, a la some of David's experiments that are on display in his art around his lab.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 16, 2020, 12:16:12 AM
Still crossing my fingers and hoping that whatever role a "company" plays pulling the strings here, I hope it actually isn't Weyland-Yutani. There's room to explore other organizations here, with potentially different (but no less sinister) corporate goals.

I don't want to see EU stories ever get adapted, but Alex White's The Cold Forge did something like this really well with Seegson pulling the real strings, and their upcoming book Into Charybdis seems to be doing it again with a new company named McAllen Integrations.

Yup, it would be extremely refreshing if they choose not to use W-Y this time around. It would be awesome to see a bunch of other companies competing to fill the power vacuum of W-Y (assuming they went down), with them trying to steal their secrets via industrial espionage and whatnot.

I too would love to see if this series decide to be more like a corporate/company corruption thriller mixed with the drudge and misery of asteroid miners, colonists and space truckers, militants/terrorists rather than delving into epic ancient aliens profane existential stuff with god-like AIs and androids suffering from different levels of existential psychosis. Something akin to Alien: Isolation minus Ellen Ripley. It would be awesome to see the world seen in ALIEN/ALIENS/A3 more fleshed out, especially the corporate hierarchies, power and influence, the off-world military industrial complex as well as how government bodies operate in this setting, everything seen and hinted at - indirectly explained - by the characters of course. I think most people would be ok with the first three, four or five episodes having no Xenomorphs in them (except for maybe a grainy photo of eggs, or a bad copy of Ripley's chest scan - something like that).

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 16, 2020, 12:37:02 AM
It would be awesome to see a bunch of other companies competing to fill the power vacuum of W-Y (assuming they went down)

Very much this. If there is anything to keep intact from Alien: Resurrection, whether the movie sticks around in canon or not, I'd say it is the idea that, eventually, Weyland-Yutani eventually goes under. Resurrection is so far off in the future that it really doesn't affect the other stories in any way (though the melding of Alien DNA and human DNA does accidentally feel weirdly in line with the way the Pathogen is presented in the prequels), but if there's anything of note that works and should have an impact on future stories, it is WY's collapse.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 16, 2020, 12:43:10 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 16, 2020, 12:37:02 AM
It would be awesome to see a bunch of other companies competing to fill the power vacuum of W-Y (assuming they went down)

Very much this. If there is anything to keep intact from Alien: Resurrection, whether the movie sticks around in canon or not, I'd say it is the idea that, eventually, Weyland-Yutani eventually goes under. Resurrection is so far off in the future that it really doesn't affect the other stories in any way (though the melding of Alien DNA and human DNA does accidentally feel weirdly in line with the way the Pathogen is presented in the prequels), but if there's anything of note that works and should have an impact on future stories, it is WY's collapse.

Do they give us an exact date when W-Y collapsed (...and taken over by Walmart!) in the movie or in the A:R behind the scenes / source material?

Bug hunt wilson

Bug hunt wilson

I think the weyland yutani report is the best place to find out

Nightmare Asylum

The theatrical version doesn't put a specific date on it (nor does it mention Wal-Mart). The Wal-Mart reference comes only in the Special Edition, and in that expanded version of the scene Dr. Wren says "They went under decades ago, Gediman, way before your time." Lots of wiggle room there, I'd say (especially in the theatrical version of the scene, which I personally lean more towards if only because I find the theatrical cut of the film to be stronger than the SE).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed