Predators Blu-Ray/DVD Discussion

Started by 369, Jul 01, 2010, 11:05:00 PM

Author
Predators Blu-Ray/DVD Discussion (Read 109,281 times)

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 06, 2010, 08:11:43 PM
Anyone noticed that the footage in the behind the scenes segments looks better than the movie, picture wise? It feels as though some grey filter is on the film, there doesn't seem to be deep blacks, just grey. Is it just me?

No it is not just you, I noticed that too. The same thing happened to AVPR, though its more bearable with Predators. I've noticed though, there tends to be a lot more greyness in the picture quality on plasma screen than standard ones.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Hm, my TV isn't plasma, I'll play about with the settings a bit, but that might just make it all round darker. Pr'haps they were just going a certain look?

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: Vecrotus on Nov 06, 2010, 09:56:24 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 06, 2010, 08:11:43 PM
Anyone noticed that the footage in the behind the scenes segments looks better than the movie, picture wise? It feels as though some grey filter is on the film, there doesn't seem to be deep blacks, just grey. Is it just me?

No it is not just you, I noticed that too. The same thing happened to AVPR, though its more bearable with Predators. I've noticed though, there tends to be a lot more greyness in the picture quality on plasma screen than standard ones.
most lcd tv can show tru blacks because its backlit.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I've tested it both on plasma 1080i and LCD 1920x1200 HDMI and they both look pretty good all together. The fact of the matter is Predators was darkened and it could have been abit more brighter in detail while still maintaining the dark lighting.

Whoever is head of the final print of the film is making these Alien and Predator films dark on purpose. Please fire that person.

predxeno

predxeno

Maybe they're keeping it dark to keep in tone with the atmosphere.  Isn't that what AVP movies are all about; being dark?

Prime113

Prime113

Yeah, but dark in atmosphere not lighting.

Xeno

Xeno

Quote from: Spartan113 on Nov 06, 2010, 05:52:19 PM
Damn. Do you have to have an internet connection to the Blu Ray player to see this?
Yes you have to.

Prime113

Prime113

^^^^ Piss!!!!!!

Thanks for the info though, man.

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 06, 2010, 10:02:01 PM
Hm, my TV isn't plasma, I'll play about with the settings a bit, but that might just make it all round darker. Pr'haps they were just going a certain look?

You're right, there's definitely a greyness to it. It looks like the blacks have been tuned to the colour of the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen--for a lot of my movies the blacks in the picture are darker than the bars. It don't think it looks too bad either way, it's a pretty film, especially near the end.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

So I've watched it now over and over again and I must say, the picture quality is great. Even that dusty night shot where Mr. Black rips Stan's spine & skull out is really vivid and clear. When I came out of the cinema I thought the reason for me not understanding that scene was the bad editing, but actually it was the darkness the movie had in the cinema.

Getting to like this movie more and more now especially after seeing the Hanzo vs Falconer fight. Every move in the cinema seemed so hectic and uncontrolled, but on my TV it's just beautiful to look at and not even that bad choreographed.

Pity though there is no extended fight scene of the Classic vs Black showdown like that Imdb guy said (although I knew that he was talking bullcrap when he started to talk about that additional scene in the hunting camp... that was just so fanboyish). But even that fight is so nice to look at on the dvd, whereas on the cinema screen it again really looked like horrible editing.

So Ultimately I guess the lighting on the improved dvd quality really did the trick for me and makes it a better movie for me now, than it did when I watched it in the cinema.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I saw the movie 3x in cinema and I noticed there were two versions of the film. One which you saw, it was pretty dark. The the 3rd showing I saw had different trailers in the begining and it was much brighter. The DVD and blu-ray version is of that brighter version I saw in theaters.

We got lucky, because if they would have released the dark version of Predators on DVD and blu-ray....

that wouldn't have been good at all.

bobcunk

bobcunk

prolly just a different projector.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

The two dark versions I saw had the same trailers, the 3rd which was brighter had different trailers in the begining I really think it was a different print.

Valheru

Valheru

Quote from: PHANTOM on Nov 13, 2010, 01:07:38 AM
I saw the movie 3x in cinema and I noticed there were two versions of the film. One which you saw, it was pretty dark. The the 3rd showing I saw had different trailers in the begining and it was much brighter. The DVD and blu-ray version is of that brighter version I saw in theaters.

We got lucky, because if they would have released the dark version of Predators on DVD and blu-ray....

that wouldn't have been good at all.

I think this explains why I didn't enjoy the cinema version anywhere near as much as the bluray, as it did seem quite dark in the cinemas plus the audio was quite soft for some reason (that would be the cinemas fault).

Watching at home on the bluray with the sound turned up on a good system, it was a whole new and very enjoyable experience.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=33274.msg927023#new

Cheers,

Valheru

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed