"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting

Started by TheBATMAN, Feb 17, 2022, 06:45:08 PM

Author
"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting (Read 23,680 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Ok, what are the odds they'll squeeze some Ripley reference in here ?

"Oh look, it's Ripley's mother  ! And she's a Colonial Marine ! ISN'T THIS EXCITING !?"

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 21, 2022, 05:31:45 AM

"Oh look, it's Ripley's mother  ! And she's a Colonial Marine ! ISN'T THIS EXCITING !?"

Nah, Ripley is the main guy's sister put in a new body a few decades later. All that time being stored as an uploaded consciousness meant her memories were mostly corrupted, but come to the fore when she fights aliums.

Kradan

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 23, 2022, 10:52:22 PM

Nah, Ripley is the main guy's sister put in a new body a few decades later. All that time being stored as an uploaded consciousness meant her memories were mostly corrupted, but come to the fore when she fights aliums.

Oh man so this directly ties in to android Ripley from the Perry novelizations of the original trilogy of DH comics then!

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 24, 2022, 12:38:25 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 23, 2022, 10:52:22 PM

Oh man so this directly ties in to android Ripley from the Perry novelizations of the original trilogy of DH comics then!

It ties into that, and the novel where she comes back between movies then gets mind wiped. It's a very utilitarian piece of bullshit.

Local Trouble

You seem more optimistic than before.

[cancerblack]

I am not.

But I may have become enthusiastic about it being aggressively bad.

BigDaddyJohn

I do wish for the best, but I'm staying very cautious about this.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just a thought but, presumably (if elements of the prequels are indeed being retconned here, and the two films are not actually being knocked straight out of the continuity), I'd imagine this will likely have to be set in the latter portion of the 2090s, since the company is still Weyland Industries earlier in the decade in Prometheus and Weyland-Yutani doesn't come about until at least a few years later, before the launch of the Covenant prior to Alien: Covenant's start, and Hawley keeps explicitly referring to the company as Weyland-Yutani when talking about it in regards to this show. I wonder if maybe we might actually be seeing the merger happen here in the show, or if Weyland-Yutani will already be established from the get go?

Of course, if Prometheus and Covenant are full on getting dropped from the continuity on the whole, then none of these details would be relevant and Weyland-Yutani could have existed for decades prior to the start of this show if they really wanted to go that route.

Immortan Jonesy

I want more character development for Ms.Yutani.

[cancerblack]

Bughuntwilson

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 25, 2022, 05:36:53 AM
I want more character development for Ms.Yutani.
Why not promethus weyland instead of somebody that showed up in a few seconds in the avp films I genuinely want to know

Nightmare Asylum

If this is set when they are saying it is set, and Hawley is telling the truth about the company already being Weyland-Yutani and not just Weyland, then Peter Weyland is already dead on LV-223.

Also, it seems to me that Weyland-Yutani isn't really the main corporation this series is focusing on. A new company called Prodigy is. So unless it is directly correlated to Prodigy's exploits, I'm not sure how relevant a Weyland or a Yutani would be in this particular series, unless we end up seeing the two corporations engaged in some sort of direct rivalry (or collaboration between them, I guess).

[cancerblack]

I feel like IJ wasn't being 100% serious (or 100% joking, to be fair) though guys.

Nightmare Asylum

On Yutani, though, thinking back to the couple years we had post-Prometheus release, pre-Covenant announcement, I always kind of imagined that a potential Prometheus sequel could actually deal with a Yutani-fronted return expedition to LV-223, perhaps even with the revelation that a Yutani vessel had intercepted Weyland's plans prior to Prometheus and had been following the Prometheus to LV-223 in the first place, arriving some time after everything in the film went down.

The Quiet Eye viral really seemed to imply some sort of sleuthing going on on Yutani's end, prying into Weyland Industries matters at the time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed