Prey: BTS Thread

Started by ace3g, Aug 05, 2022, 09:57:57 PM

Author
Prey: BTS Thread (Read 42,529 times)

ace3g

ace3g

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

As a guest, you cannot see attachments. Please login.

Practical

CGI

https://www.mpcfilm.com/en/filmography/prey/

Master Chief

Master Chief

I'm a fan of the practical look.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Notice how the mandibles are placed parallel to each other on the practical head? Yet on the CGI version they are at an angle?

ADI lmao

SiL

SiL

Notice how the cgi lighting doesn't match the practical and makes it look obvious and distracting?

MPC lmao

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah they messed up as well, but MPC probably would not have had to replace so much had ADI done it right in the first place, and judging by their resume probably then have not had to crunch. (Just like The Predator)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Oct 15, 2022, 10:40:17 AMNotice how the cgi lighting doesn't match the practical and makes it look obvious and distracting?

MPC lmao

What he said

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I mean, mouth problems aside, I tend to prefer the practical head.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Yeah, the practical head looks more "feral".

SiL

SiL

I feel like they wasted a lot of money doing CG touch ups that added sweet FA to the quality of the creature. I don't care about seeing calf muscles twitching if it makes it look distractingly fake.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: SiL on Oct 15, 2022, 10:40:17 AMNotice how the cgi lighting doesn't match the practical and makes it look obvious and distracting?

MPC lmao

I'm pretty sure the texture / light is physically accurate to what a subsurface material like skin would render.
What stick out the most is the compositing stage when a note must have dropped to say "raise the gain of the creature to make it look more visible" there's a clear potato/mask on the head only to emphasize on the contrast and saturation. There's even secondary masked drawn out on the mouth and eyes to make them stick to reveal all the details completely out of exposure compared to the rest of the body which match the practical, this makes the whole picture seems very uncanny. It's a trend greatly lead by Marvel movies to leave nothing in the shadows so everything is crystal clear when you reveal a character, especially their face, but it's more likely a last minute compositing or even color grading choice that was made rather than a lighting error at the CGI render stage.

I do prefer the Practial look, perhaps because it's bizarre and they weren't trying to replicate skin in a human manner like the CGI does since latex doen't have the same index of refraction and fresnel proprities around the edges than human skin does, giving it a more "alien" look without falling within the uncanny trench.
Also the fact it hide more than it reveal is much more powerful especially in daylight in my opinion.

426Buddy

426Buddy

The face in general has grown on me since release. I prefer the practical but I am fine with the CGI one too.

No issue with the CGI muscle twitches They weren't very noticeable and hardly distracting. I think they complement the practical suit just fine.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 18, 2022, 10:22:38 AMWhat stick out the most is the compositing stage when a note must have dropped to say "raise the gain of the creature to make it look more visible" there's a clear potato/mask on the head only to emphasize on the contrast and saturation. There's even secondary masked drawn out on the mouth and eyes to make them stick to reveal all the details completely out of exposure compared to the rest of the body which match the practical, this makes the whole picture seems very uncanny. It's a trend greatly lead by Marvel movies to leave nothing in the shadows so everything is crystal clear when you reveal a character, especially their face, but it's more likely a last minute compositing or even color grading choice that was made rather than a lighting error at the CGI render stage.
That's what I was referring to - sorry for the poor terminology. The practical is dark and matches the rest of the scene, whereas the selective gain on the digital ruins the sense the Predator is actually there.

Even with all the good work on modeling, lighting, animation, etc etc the final image is less convincing than the practical - regardless of what some may whine about ADI 's work.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Practical also looks more menacing imo

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 18, 2022, 12:24:43 PMPractical also looks more menacing imo

I second that

shadowedge

shadowedge

So I watched this and a lot of the Predator effects,  even in the last fight were CGI entirely? In this video for those shots it shows an empty background and then they add in the Predator? Was there no practical suit actor augmented with CGI for much of the movie?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed