Upgrade vs. Fugitive - wasted opportunity

Started by happypred, Sep 17, 2018, 02:09:47 AM

Author
Upgrade vs. Fugitive - wasted opportunity (Read 8,504 times)

Corporal Hicks

Not that I know of. But I still haven't read Screen Rant's article (I'm playing catch-up since I couldn't get on much over the weekend).

Wysps

Quote from: Fugitive Predator on Sep 17, 2018, 08:26:55 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 17, 2018, 08:12:15 AM
I really think there's huge potential in Predator vs Predator but they keep executing it poorly. There's too much emphasise in trying to make the new guy come across as a bad ass. I think Black and co did a better job of making his Upgrade come across better than they did in Predators but damn, give us a longer go of the conflict.

did any of the stuff that got cut have anything to do with Fugitive vs Assasin ?

Yes, prior to Fugitive being demolished by Upgrade, he tells McKenna and Co. to run because the Upgrade is targeting him, not the humans.  So he gives them a warning to get out of the area before being attacked.  Didn't understand why this part was removed. 

Original Predator

Quote from: happypred on Sep 17, 2018, 02:09:47 AM
They should have had Fugitive try to outsmart Upgrade...perhaps even have the two of them play a bit of cat and mouse in the forest, with Fugitive kinda in Dutch's position in the first film (outmatched but using his cunning)

I feel like the fight we got was uninspired

Agree, would've been cool. But Black was handcuffed from the start on this one.  I think Black had a lot of cool concepts that he didn't get to play out.   

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wysps on Sep 17, 2018, 06:05:33 PM
I really think there's huge potential in Predator vs Predator but they keep executing it poorly. There's too much emphasise in trying to make the new guy come across as a bad ass. I think Black and co did a better job of making his Upgrade come across better than they did in Predators but damn, give us a longer go of the conflict.

did any of the stuff that got cut have anything to do with Fugitive vs Assasin ?

Yes, prior to Fugitive being demolished by Upgrade, he tells McKenna and Co. to run because the Upgrade is targeting him, not the humans.  So he gives them a warning to get out of the area before being attacked.  Didn't understand why this part was removed.

Do we know if that was actually filmed?

huntin8-t0n

It didn't have much of a point, just as Fugitive pursuing humans. Lazy writing, just a way to show how badass the upgrade is. My initial thoughts, and mostly I stand by them.

But there might be another thing. Humans already had the controller thingy. Upgrade was already there for him, there was no way (supposedly) he got away from that situation. So he just bought time.

I think this predator on predator thing is just too much, it doesn't bring out how really bad and brutal the character is. In its nature, towards unknown species..anyhow, just like the new movie, the whole concept (as the backbone of the ideas) is not inspiring. But I guess it's the way this works now.

happypred

I think some good Predator on Predator stalking (not just fisticuffs) could really be a highlight of the franchise

Audiences have never seen something like it and it has the potential to be really cool

ep40

What's really bad is that Upgrade killed Fugitive quickly but later he had problems with the rest of humans. I think both Predators were weak compared to Jungle Hunter and City Hunter. He had no problem obliterating Dutch's squad and Dutch took him only by suprise. Instead of prolonged fight Upgrade should have killed every human quickly with no effort.

The Old One

The Old One

It's inconsistent behaviour as the script demands.

Wysps

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 17, 2018, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Wysps on Sep 17, 2018, 06:05:33 PM

Do we know if that was actually filmed?

Honestly don't know  :-\ It may have not even been filmed. Kind of feel like keeping it in there would have been beneficial though. At least it would have added a little more dimension to Fugitive and his motivation (i.e. to help the humans.)

Huntsman

Quote from: ep40 on Sep 18, 2018, 04:49:11 PM
What's really bad is that Upgrade killed Fugitive quickly but later he had problems with the rest of humans. I think both Predators were weak compared to Jungle Hunter and City Hunter. He had no problem obliterating Dutch's squad and Dutch took him only by suprise. Instead of prolonged fight Upgrade should have killed every human quickly with no effort.
This is one of my issues right here. Diminishing the lethality and effectiveness of Predators. The first two films followed individual hunters who we got to know through the course of the film, and while both died, they had a higher degree of credibility under their belt. I can't imagine either of them going down so easily.  Fugitive did kill a bunch of people, but those badass feelings kinda go out the window when you see his head being ripped off, and missing a point blank plasmacaster shot only moments before. Predators aren't merely wildlife, ala the Aliens. Therefore their deaths hurt the fanbase a lot more.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Huntsman on Sep 23, 2018, 02:48:56 AM
Quote from: ep40 on Sep 18, 2018, 04:49:11 PM

Predators aren't merely wildlife, ala the Aliens.

Neither are the Aliens...

Huntsman

Aliens are advanced killing machines and survivors. A plague. I'm not disputing that. I do think they are more like wildlife in comparison to Predators though. Like a lion who relies on its claws and mouth. It's a creature without the use of technology. Hundreds of Aliens die and it's not much of a big deal. One Pred dies and it's quite a big deal.

Jigsaw85

Quote from: Huntsman on Sep 23, 2018, 04:13:20 AM
Aliens are advanced killing machines and survivors. A plague. I'm not disputing that. I do think they are more like wildlife in comparison to Predators though. Like a lion who relies on its claws and mouth. It's a creature without the use of technology. Hundreds of Aliens die and it's not much of a big deal. One Pred dies and it's quite a big deal.

Why is it more of a big deal if a predator dies? Because he has technology? You're not making any sense.

Huntsman

How many Predators usually go on a hunt at a time? One or two - three in the case of AvP. How many Aliens get killed during the course of a hunt? Usually many, because they're a plague, with some becoming cannon fodder. There's so many of them even after large populations have been massacred. The death of the outnumbered hunter therefore carries more weight. The hunt is thrown into serious jeopardy. A Predator, especially with mask on, also resembles a human and that lends itself to a degree of humanisation. We're more likely to connect emotionally with a Pred in comparison to a Alien.

The Old One

The Old One

& That- in itself is a wrong portrayal, if I'm to give my opinion.

All adult Aliens should be equal, and all should have the potential to kill a Predator as an individual.
Just look at how it moves in the recent Alien prequel, I just don't believe that one on one the Predator wouldn't be obilterated.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed