AvPGalaxy Podcast #25 - Alien 5 & Alternate Sequels

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 21, 2015, 08:26:24 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Podcast #25 - Alien 5 & Alternate Sequels (Read 16,461 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 8BA on Apr 22, 2015, 09:17:44 PM
Good show guys.

I agree with most points except those about Sam Keith's art. In the retcon editions it has been recolored in a way that really takes away from it. The original printings had a wonderful, chalky color that makes Sam's art much nicer. The way he draws humans is too wacky for an Aliens story, but other than that I think his visual style worked well enough & kept with the moodiness of the Dark Horse comics.

Speaking of, I'd love to see more coverage on the old comics & novels in future episodes. Perhaps tackling three entries in each like this previous show. An episode exploring the 'Labyrinth' series would be great!

Anyway, wonderful job. I really appreciate how you guys don't put on a fake bombastic attitude or use a lot of foul language in an attempt to sound 'cool'. It's a pretty professional podcast, especially compared to many of the others I discover. Keep up the good work!

Sam Kieth's art just did not work with Aliens.  It completely fought against the vibe of the first two series and the films.  Mind you, taken out of context, the comic book art is ok.  Sam is actually really talented with his own unique style.  It just made no sense for the series.  However, even Verheiden's story started to go off the rails a bit in Earth War, so I guess it made sense for the art to follow suit.  Some of the things pointed out in the podcast noted that and I agree.  When you really think about it, so much just does not make sense in Earth War.

Great topic and the podcast was handled really well.  I really hope we see Den Beauvais return to Aliens somehow.  He gets it.  Unfortunately, he is doing 3-D digital art now and his brilliant character does not shine through in that medium somehow.  Hmrph!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I really think Keith suited his last Alien piece - Inhuman Condition - but only in retrospect.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/aliens-inhuman-condition/

But otherwise he just doesn't work for Aliens.

Looking at that review I do think I was a little harsh on it with the final score though.

redalert51

??? I am both excited and saddened. How can we dismiss both " Alien 3 and Resurrection, a lot work went into those films ,With good creative writing , Alien 5 hopefully the sequal will keep the continuity ..   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed