Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 43,424 times)

matthewjn

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 09, 2019, 06:59:52 AM
Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 09, 2019, 03:35:52 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 08, 2019, 09:21:40 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jan 08, 2019, 07:59:14 PM
Some franchises don't react well to change. Some just can't work at all outside of established boundaries.

Including Neomorphs and Deacons in an Alien film is one thing.

Changing the entire tone of a sci-fi horror based franchise film to that of an action comedy is an atrociously bad idea. And that bad idea should've been seen for what it obviously was, from the very beginning.
Actually, although Black did tell us this would be more comedy based did the trailers and advertising material sell that? I have to watch the trailers again but to me it seemed to say this was more of an action flick like the first one. I find a lot of times it is the marketing department that causes a movie to fail because they sell the audience the wrong interpretation of a film. The poster was correct though, we never saw this shit coming is right.
The final trailer and some TV spots advertised the movie to be more action/comedy while the rest had a more serious tone.
That does make sense, in that I avoided all the trailers aside from the first. Which is obviously why I didn't remember the marketing spin but the trailer I remember showed an action packed serious movie. Something sure did changed after that.
The fan reactions to the trailers and TV spots were all over the place too.

Although I liked the movie (not saying it's perfect, it had it's problems), I still wish it was a little more dark and gritty... like it was advertised in some of the trailers/TV spots.

Cellien

I think this guy took it a little too personally, which I'm sure is hard not to do.  Many of us have been in careers where you put in a ton of time and work into something only to have a boss (or customer) tell you it sucks.  And, ya know, sometimes they're right.  It's life.  Learn from it and move on.  I feel for him, but people aren't attacking him; they're attacking the final result.

Original Predator

Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 08, 2019, 07:43:11 PM
Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 08, 2019, 03:25:21 PM
Quote from: matthewjn on Jan 07, 2019, 08:04:05 PM
Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 07, 2019, 07:05:21 PM
Sorry but a Pred movie without tense moments, even "scary" is tone deaf.  You spend all this time and detail on a CREATURE, yet you use him as an action hero. 

Real fans aren't saying it's NOT hard to make a movie, get it to the screen.  Real fans know it's hard to make a movie and the opportunities don't come around too often and don't want the opportunity wasted as it's been for 4 movies now!!!!

Don't brow beat us by saying "it's hard and there's no respect for the process" when the studio puts out 4 POS's.  At some point your gonna have an issue.  As well at some point your "married to the old formula-so-it-should-be-different" high-horse has to come into question. 

Hicks your whole "elements I liked, elements I didn't like" is part the of the problem.  Like an "element" aka 10 mins of a MOVIE doesn't prove "versatile". 

You want "versatile" "elements" you like, go read a comic or play a video game.  This pompus attitude has ruined the franchise and has kept fans at bay from an overall GOOD MOVIE in it's entirety for 4 films now!

Don't you know how hard it is to get these films made!!!

Oh wait.

LOL. I like how you're trying to point the finger at someone who is respectful like Hicks. If you truly have a problem with someone saying "elements I liked, elements I didn't like.", that's a problem you have to fix.

I don't know what kind of attitude do you prefer, but it doesn't seem like a very good one. Thankfully, decent people aren't really dealing with people like you anymore hence why they're speaking out more.

I'm sorry you took what I said so personal.

The common theme amongst this split fan base (and it is split) is "back to basics"- those who wanna see true sequals to Dutch and/or Harrigan, True slow burn-pacing R-rated, tense, one pred-hunter, stalking, hunting, killing for sport/fun, hiding in the shadows, one or two small details of expansion. 

Then there is the theme "versatile/expansion" etc.  This theme has proven to be far more disastrous and for four movies in a row has proven to fail.  "Expanding" on a Universe is fine for all things NOT film.  A film is 2 hours long, to expand on 12, or 8, or 4 different big ideas makes for a mess (ala the last 4 movies FOX has spit out). 

To STILL pretend, STILL....that everything is fine because there are "elements" fans liked (10 mins in a film here and there) as your justice and evidence that "expansion" works and is the better formula for this franchise is at this point a swing and a miss.  Not once, not twice, not three times, but 4 (and counting for that matter) "expansion" has failed those who preach it. I picked out Hicks for no other reason than he's top dog around here and many follow his voice and opinion.  And quite frankly it's been proven wrong at this point. 

There needs to be some mea-culpa's within this fan base that are fed plenty full their bellies with comic/video game/book "universe-expansion" but for no other reason than to consume some more- are willing to indulge themselves and be satisfied with "elements" (10 mins of seeing a Pred dog, or 4 mins of seeing inside the Pred ship, pred fighting an alien for 3 mins) at the sacrifice of a entire movie that is so hard to make in the first place.

"This person doesn't have the same opinion as me. They are obviously pretending." - You

Sorry, but there are people who don't want the Predator franchise to be like The Purge and Final Destination franchise - same thing each movie with very little changes.

Wrong.  The correct interpretation would be:

"I'm sick of FOX p-issing on my leg and their fans telling me it's raining.  Even though it's been proven it's NOT rain, the fans still insist it is....." sorta thing.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Jan 09, 2019, 09:21:01 PM
Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 09, 2019, 03:44:12 PM
Let me put it in perspective. Say we had a great movie that did fantastic, right? Had all the right plot points, characters, and special effects, etc. Now imagine the sequel was a 2 minute short clip that was done in a much more inferior style.

How do you think the response would be?
There's a short film sequel to Thomas Jane's Punisher movie that everyone f**king loved, so maybe the response would be "wait until the thing is out before declaring it's awful".

Punisher: Dirty Laundry. Loved it.

SiL

Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 09, 2019, 10:07:03 PM
"I'm sick of FOX p-issing on my leg and their fans telling me it's raining.  Even though it's been proven it's NOT rain, the fans still insist it is....." sorta thing.
That's still just "Anyone who disagrees with me is delusional and wrong."

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 09, 2019, 10:46:11 PM
Yes! I couldn't remember the name.

AhabPredator

Let me put it in perspective. Say we had a great movie that did fantastic, right? Had all the right plot points, characters, and special effects, etc. Now imagine the sequel was a 2 minute short clip that was done in a much more inferior style.

There's a short film sequel to Thomas Jane's Punisher movie that everyone f**king loved, so maybe the response would be "wait until the thing is out before declaring it's awful".

Be careful what you wish for.  ;)

SiL

Be careful wishing people would wait until a piece of media is out before assessing whether it's bad or not?

... why?

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: SiL on Jan 09, 2019, 11:38:50 PM
Be careful wishing people would wait until a piece of media is out before assessing whether it's bad or not?

... why?

Here's 40 reasons why.

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/40-video-games-with-disappointing-reviews

A few these, I personally got screwed by. Buying into the hype only to be a shit on with a half baked product. I learned two valuable lessons: never preorder and never buy into the hype train.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 09, 2019, 06:15:42 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 05:35:02 PM
And SEGA has a public history of expecting WAY too much from niche IPs.

*COUGH COUGH* ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES *COUGH COUGH*

In which it was not the niche market but the inferior product that bit them in the butt.

SiL

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 12:01:49 AM
I learned two valuable lessons: never preorder and never buy into the hype train.
When did lesson three, "Shit on the product sight-unseen" come in? You can do both those things without writing off the media before it's even out.

AhabPredator

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 12:08:09 AM
Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 12:01:49 AM
I learned two valuable lessons: never preorder and never buy into the hype train.
When did lesson three, "Shit on the product sight-unseen" come in? You can do both those things without writing off the media before it's even out.

Past industry behavior is an accurate predictor of future behavior.

I could very well be wrong, but past experiences have kind of forged my perspectives based on personal experience.

I don't know how you can find a mobile game a feasible substitute to an actual game, but to each his own I guess.

SiL

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 12:11:09 AM
I don't know how you can find a mobile game a feasible substitute to an actual game, but to each his own I guess.
There was never an option presented of Isolation II being made, so I don't see it as a substitute to begin with.

Besides, I'll take Dirty Laundry over Punisher: War Zone any day.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Jan 09, 2019, 11:13:07 PM
Quote from: Original Predator on Jan 09, 2019, 10:07:03 PM
That's still just "Anyone who disagrees with me is delusional and wrong."

Yes! I couldn't remember the name.

I remember Perlman was the shop owner. Jane was just ruthless.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 12:14:38 AM
Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 10, 2019, 12:11:09 AM
There was never an option presented of Isolation II being made, so I don't see it as a substitute to begin with.

Factoring in what's been reported with Isolation's sales, this^.

Huntsman

Me too. Jane nailed the role. Would've loved another full length film from him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed