How I'd do Alien V

Started by FatStu, Sep 07, 2020, 12:21:05 AM

Author
How I'd do Alien V (Read 21,695 times)

SM

SM

Long time ago.

Didn't stop them putting some stupid bullshit in the RPG about the Company funding and effectively owning the ICC.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Ugh.  I think it's time for you to stage a coup.

Huggs

Huggs

I honestly never found newt even remotely interesting enough to be seen beyond the one film.

Let alone carry an entire franchise.

Tichinde

Tichinde

she's not interesting but I think if she just dies it has the same effect Dark Fate had on Terminator and leaves a sore taste in people's mouths. Because the entire reason for fighting and surviving through the first movie is basically gone if there is no happy ending for some people. Ripley having to deal with them again is fine, but Newt is a kid, she represents innocence, so the ending of the film is the preservation of human innocence without that it's kinda bleak.

Hence why Alien 3 is viewed by so many (myself included) to spit all over Alien and Aliens

TC

TC

Newt. Maybe not a standout when it comes to "interesting," but interesting enough. Just like Ripley was merely interesting enough in the first film. Luckily, Cameron saw the potential in Ripley, and made her more interesting.

Newt is intelligent and resourceful. It's implied that her mental state at the time of her discovery is one in which her brain has shut down on emotions so they don't get in the way of her doing whatever she needs to in order to survive. That's her key characteristic: she's a survivor.

I call this fertile ground. Particularly when you extrapolate what she would be like as an adult.

If I had written an Alien 3, Newt would be much like Clare Danes' character in Homeland, Carrie, with similar kinds of mental problems. (Carrie has to constantly manage her job as a CIA operative with her bipolar disorder. She has to hide her medication - lithium, Clonazepam, alcohol - and even checks herself into a hospital for voluntary ECT treatments so she can do her job).

This is what you do in a sequel; develop character not only by upping the ante in terms of plot (alien -> aliens), but also by driving it deeper into the psychology of the protagonist. IOW, create greater intensity both externally and internally.

Luckily, Cameron understood that and, likewise, took his story in both directions.

TC

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: TC on Sep 10, 2020, 07:10:31 AM
Newt. Maybe not a standout when it comes to "interesting," but interesting enough. Just like Ripley was merely interesting enough in the first film. Luckily, Cameron saw the potential in Ripley, and made her more interesting.

Newt is intelligent and resourceful. It's implied that her mental state at the time of her discovery is one in which her brain has shut down on emotions so they don't get in the way of her doing whatever she needs to in order to survive. That's her key characteristic: she's a survivor.

I call this fertile ground. Particularly when you extrapolate what she would be like as an adult.

If I had written an Alien 3, Newt would be much like Clare Danes' character in Homeland, Carrie, with similar kinds of mental problems. (Carrie has to constantly manage her job as a CIA operative with her bipolar disorder. She has to hide her medication - lithium, Clonazepam, alcohol - and even checks herself into a hospital for voluntary ECT treatments so she can do her job).

This is what you do in a sequel; develop character not only by upping the ante in terms of plot (alien -> aliens), but also by driving it deeper into the psychology of the protagonist. IOW, create greater intensity both externally and internally.

Luckily, Cameron understood that and, likewise, took his story in both directions.

TC

Great post, fully agree.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

What we got was better and more original between Aliens and AlienĀ³ rather than a more traditional franchise.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I have never understood why the decisions are binary.

Alien 3 has problems. Even people who consider it a masterpiece, which is... When the director says its dogshit. That is, the main artist behind the final product on screen... I don't know how we call that a masterpiece. I'm glad people love it so much. I like it. I wouldn't want to replace it.

Resurrection is the real dog of the series. Alien 3 still at least fits with the tone and general feeling of the first two films insofar as its still dealing with corporate greed/corruption/apathy, where does humanity fit in this world, fighting for survival against an unknown and brutal monster...

If I had one change to make to Alien 3, okay two, I would cut the opening out entirely. Start with the crash... and I would have Ripley hearing Newt. I can just imagine that ending sequence where Ripley is thinking about jumping, the longer version... and it cuts to her seeing the picture of her daughter "Amy..." Ripley holds her eyes shut, we hear Newt "You promise?" "Cross my heart." "And hope to die." "And hope to die." and she jumps. Just to tie the whole series together. Everything Ripley lost, and give it just a little bit more tug at the heart strings. I'm not against their deaths, and I understand that by 1992 there were practical concerns. Carrie Henn would have been recast, or they would have had to remove her from the story in some fashion. I think it was Voodoo Magic who suggested the idea of having two separate EEVs and that they were stuck in orbit around the planet during the events of Alien 3, only to get picked up by the Patna later on (off screen.)

As to Alien 5? I'm not super enthusiastic about the rumblings we are hearing. Somethings sound good like tighter budget with no limits on the content and going back to a more contained story. That all sounds good... But one name sends shivers down my back. Ridley. Scott. If you want him to do the pretty pictures, fine. Get him the absolute Hell away from the story.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Has he ever said it is bad though? Or just that he hates it because a massive difference exists between the two.

Because I think it is good, he just had an awful experience making it, and it is much better than half of his filmography.

The Game for example's a truly wretched piece of shit, or something like Panic Room that I think's good but not as good as any cut of AlienĀ³ either though.

Ridley Scott's a superb director and has proven it repeatedly, The Last Duel's probably one of my favourites of his and it's pretty recent, everyone has their ups and downs.

But as for his potential involvement I am way more excited about whatever Noah Hawley's cooking up for episodic storytelling than Fede Alvarez's film.

Cognitive Dissident

Cognitive Dissident

It's pretty hard to hate Fincher's output, but calling a3 better than half his output is a stretch. And I cherish a3.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It's really not a stretch in the slightest. After going through his whole filmography I am very confident in that opinion honestly.

I like it better than everything except for Se7en and Gone Girl, and Fight Club's probably also better though I do not personally love it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 28, 2022, 03:54:12 PMHas he ever said it is bad though? Or just that he hates it because a massive difference exists between the two.
Yes. He said it's seriously flawed and there's a lot wrong with it.

Kradan

Kradan

I wonder when was the last time he watched it ? His evaluation of the movie might be heavily influenced by the horrible  experience he had making it

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Pretty much what I believe's going on here.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 01, 2022, 12:29:23 PMI wonder when was the last time he watched it ? His evaluation of the movie might be heavily influenced by the horrible  experience he had making it
Might also be influenced by the fact it's heavily flawed and there's a lot wrong with it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed