Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 03, 2020, 02:03:59 AM

Author
Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens? (Read 35,507 times)

Ingwar

Alien is a masterpiece that defined its genre: gothic horror is space. Aliens is well-crafted action-packed sequel.

SiL

It does boggle the mind that some refuse to acknowledge that Aliens was every bit as groundbreaking and influential as the first film. Much like Alien defined the sci-fi horror, Aliens defined the sci-fi actioner. Its particular look and feel is every bit as pervasive in the genre as Alien's.

Stitch

For the same reason I prefer The Terminator over T2. It's a different type of film, a taut horror thriller instead of an action movie.

Immortan Jonesy

Seriously, I love both films as the best in their respective genres. They are the creme de la creme in space horror & space action. And then, the elevator to hell begins. You can find merits here and there, but the movies that came later fail to match the status of the first 2 movies in their respective sub-genres.

Nightmare Asylum

I don't know, I think Alien 3 might be the best space prison movie. :D

I do like Alien 3 basically just as much as I like Aliens, and I really do love Aliens. They're tied in second for me, after the original.

Immortan Jonesy

Hey! if Star Wars is fantasy cosplaying sci-fi, then Alien³ may be a prison film set in space.  ::)

Spoiler
;D
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Don't worry, Alien 3 2 will follow Morse making a The Shawshank Redemption-style prison break from his WY holding cell.

Immortan Jonesy

Alien³ epilogue is hands down the best idea since The Cold Forge. However....

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 06, 2020, 02:26:49 PM
Don't worry, Alien 3 2 will follow Morse making a The Shawshank Redemption-style prison break from his WY holding cell.

That might turn Alien³ into the prologue of a masterpiece.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on May 06, 2020, 11:31:05 AM
It does boggle the mind that some refuse to acknowledge that Aliens was every bit as groundbreaking and influential as the first film. Much like Alien defined the sci-fi horror, Aliens defined the sci-fi actioner. Its particular look and feel is every bit as pervasive in the genre as Alien's.

Not sure, but if you're serious, I agree

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on May 06, 2020, 05:47:13 PM
Not sure, but if you're serious, I agree
Very serious. Dismissing Aliens as "just a good action movie" is almost asinine.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Does anyone claim that though ???

I thought there was a consensus in regard Aliens as one of the most influential movies ever. It's just that some prefer Alien. A movie that is also a masterpiece; which is, you know, just different from the sequel.  :-\

In actual fact, I'd love to see Cameron coming back to the Alien series.

SiL

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 06, 2020, 09:25:37 PM
Does anyone claim that though ???

Quote from: Doctor Ash on May 05, 2020, 02:41:43 PM
Aliens is basically just another scifi war movie imo.

Immortan Jonesy

Hmm I wish I'd pay more attention 😶

SiL

And to be fair I'm not bashing the good Doctor, just using the post as an example. There are more than a few people who put Alien on an almighty pedestal then act like Aliens is a run of the mill 80s film with no remarkable qualities.

Local Trouble

Just another dumb, generic, pew-pew ripoff of Starship Troopers, right?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed