Why does the Alien franchise need more freaky horror stuff rather than human

Started by acrediblesource, Apr 17, 2022, 12:17:47 AM

Author
Why does the Alien franchise need more freaky horror stuff rather than human (Read 4,701 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

So whats your opinion (please dont meme the shit out of this post like most of you regulars do to get higher levels of forum eggs).
Does the franchise need more freakier/stuff that gear towards horror or more philosophical ideals like AI and ....whatever.

What is going to put an extreme amount of interest in this franchise at the state of the film industry where things are really going nowhere for the moment?

Stitch

Philosophical horror.  What if we're really the aliens?  :o

But seriously, I'd kinda like to go back to basics and have another haunted house in space movie. I know it's not original, but nothing is anymore. I'm vaguely hopeful that Fede Alvarez' film will hit this target.

Local Trouble

Immortan Jonesy

The first season of Scott Free's The Terror brings an element of supernatural horror which was successfully undermined by the terrifying nature of human being when fighting for survival. Now, I don't know if it's possible to do that with Alien. By the way, the franchise is called that for a good reason, I guess. :P

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 17, 2022, 12:59:38 AM

Prometheus tackled just that in the least terrifying way possible.  :laugh:

But seriously, I'd kinda like to go back to basics and have another haunted house in space movie. I know it's not original, but nothing is anymore. I'm vaguely hopeful that Fede Alvarez' film will hit this target.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

BTW Immortan Jonesy, what is that aquaesk looking banner with the alienin it from GIger's Alien art book? Looks awesome and I always wanted to know. So im asking to find out if you made it and how!

boring. unless they reinvent the life cycle but keep the xeno and every other lore that ever existed in the franchise and put it all together!

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 17, 2022, 01:01:14 AM
I want elephant man.

kind of is interesting:

judge death

Wouldnt call it boring, alien isolation didnt do anything new but still scared the shit out of many people. Nor did the new halloween movie but still scared people and became a great success.

One dont have to reinvent the wheel every time, but make a good story, well written charachters that you care for and dont know who is safe or not, or maybe they all die? Atmosphere where its panic and scary in itself, and a cunning and deadly Xeno, and tadaaa.

The evil dead rebot didnt do anything enw either but was still good.

Bughuntwilson

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 17, 2022, 12:17:47 AM
So whats your opinion (please dont meme the shit out of this post like most of you regulars do to get higher levels of forum eggs).
Does the franchise need more freakier/stuff that gear towards horror or more philosophical ideals like AI and ....whatever.

What is going to put an extreme amount of interest in this franchise at the state of the film industry where things are really going nowhere for the moment?
I want back to basic horror of the unknow not philosophical ideas like two android one flute

acrediblesource

Quote from: Bughuntwilson on Apr 18, 2022, 01:08:38 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 17, 2022, 12:17:47 AM

I want back to basic horror of the unknow not philosophical ideas like two android one flute

I think the android weirdness was kind of cool on paper and I think they would have had a wasted opportunity without doing it with Fassbender but I think to continue to tread it would be a played out tune. Not sure if the tv series will be tackling concepts successfully (they seem to be doing something entirely different).
Looks like the new director will bring it back to basics.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 17, 2022, 06:10:18 PM
BTW Immortan Jonesy, what is that aquaesk looking banner with the alienin it from GIger's Alien art book? Looks awesome and I always wanted to know. So im asking to find out if you made it and how!

Jonesy can explain it all. I removed the background of this image here 👇

Then I put GIger's Alien in a background similar to this one 👉👈

And finally I used filters to give the banner an abstract psychedelic look. Shit! I think I made a Salva.  :-X

TZR

More of the tension, the cold emptiness of space, the large ship environments, the xenomorph and it's killer nature.
Less of Dave the robot walking around in flip-flops

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: TZR on Apr 19, 2022, 09:07:01 PM
Less of Dave the robot walking around in flip-flops

Quote from: TZR on Apr 19, 2022, 09:07:01 PM
More of the tension, the cold emptiness of space, the large ship environments, the xenomorph and it's killer nature.

That's true, I mean maybe sci-fi cinematic futurology tends to be more stylish and full of touch screens these days, but when it comes to horror movies in space that doesn't always work. We need the dark and gritty environments, something that is not exclusive to the first Alien, as is the case with the ships of Event Horizon or Pandorum. Although most likely the Ridley Scott movie was a touch stone that made the concept possible in future movies not related to the franchise. This type of setting makes it seem as if danger lurks for the characters not only in the otherworldly realms, so to speak, but also in their own chambers.

Back to Alien, there's no escape from its space haunted house formula. Everything is terrifying: the skeleton derelict ship, the bleak and hostile planetoid, the Nostromo with its refinery that looks like a cathedral floating in the darkness of space. No characters getting cozy and safe in Appletopia.

HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey is the perfect AI villain,  and MU-TH-UR 6000 is not far from being just as ominous. The original MOTHER room was pretty creepy in my opinion, from the set design to the sounds. I think it would be great to see something like that again in a new Alien movie/series.

So yeah, we have to go back to basics, but not only with Giger's Alien, but with everything!  :laugh:

PsyKore

Some of those Alien short films done a little while ago had great ideas for movies. I think the haunted house thing can still work, but as those films demonstrated, they can have a twist to the formula that can make it feel fresh.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: acrediblesource on Apr 17, 2022, 12:17:47 AMSo whats your opinion (please dont meme the shit out of this post like most of you regulars do to get higher levels of forum eggs).

The two major things Blomkamp mentioned he felt were necessary for his project, which immediately heightened my interest for it, were a return to Giger's biomechanical aesthetics and disturbing psychosexual horror.

'Isolation', while I have major issues with my own gameplay experience of it, definitely hit high marks because of the biomechanical stuff and a primary focus on horror (especially the power of suggestion and strengths of shadow/lighting), but the films haven't really embraced that since 1986, in my view.

The kind of issues Scott wants to explore, in regards to AI, are a bit nonsensical and I've no interest in them (because the guy doesn't understand how actual AI functions). But if they must be there, then just have them as background fluff.

The 'Alien' films need to return to being about experiences involving terrifying shit most people wouldn't want to comprehend.

BlueMarsalis79

Stop whining about how actual artificial intelligence functions please for the love of God, they always functioned as artificial humans ever since Alien's conception.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed