The Lovecraft Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jan 18, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

Author
The Lovecraft Thread (Read 178,991 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I only read At the Mountains of Madness and I really enjoy it a lot. I don't know too much about the Chulhu other then its a gaint squid like monster that can soul out souls IIRC?

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Read Mountains of Madness first. f**king loved it. Got a collection a few months ago, and tore through it. Call of Cthulhu and Shadow Over Innsmouth are his favourite shorts of mine.

Undeadite

Undeadite

The first Lovecraft story I read as a child was Pickman's Model. It absolutely scared the crap out of me. I didn't really get into his writing until highschool, where I used him as a topic for my senior year english research paper. I have all his stories, but sadly have not committed to reading all of them. I also love collecting the movies based on his work. Much like Lovecraft's written stories, even the bad movies have their charm.

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jan 20, 2011, 02:20:19 AM
I am re-reading Call of Cthulhu right now,
It really is interesting how Lovecraft can condense a story so well. Cthulhu is only some 20 pages long, but if adapted into a film, it would clock in at at least an hour and 40 minutes. It would be a great hour and 40 minutes in the right hands.

I would like to bring up one of my favorites. The Outsider. This is one of the saddest stories ever written, and I identify with the protagonist very well. Interesting given the ending of the story.

There was a 100% faithful adaptation of The Call of Cthulhu made by the Lovecraft Historical Society. It is only a few years old, but black and white and silent and only clocks in at 47 minutes.

Also, if you like The Outsider, I recommend Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak. It's a very loose adaptation, but it stars both Barbara Crampton and Jeffrey Combs (more widely known for starring in Re-Animator and From Beyond).

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jan 20, 2011, 03:06:37 AM
also of interest for any Lovecraft fan... Alan Moore's Neonomicon wich i've been reading and loving.. is based on Lovecraft's mythos... and has a few interesting observations on what Alan thinks Lovecraft is really all about...
http://io9.com/5715527/this-wednesday-have-yourself-a-merry-cthulhu-christmas

I loved the first issue of Neonomicon, but I don't like the overtly sexual tone that Moore has attached to the mythos. Lovecraft was almost entirely asexual, and had a deep phobia of sexual relations. Moore's fascination on sex feels to me like an attempt at shock value, something easily attained in the 1920's with unnamed horrors with tentacles.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Undeadite on Jan 20, 2011, 08:02:59 AM
I loved the first issue of Neonomicon, but I don't like the overtly sexual tone that Moore has attached to the mythos. Lovecraft was almost entirely asexual, and had a deep phobia of sexual relations. Moore's fascination on sex feels to me like an attempt at shock value, something easily attained in the 1920's with unnamed horrors with tentacles.

have you read the third issue? there's a wonderfully writen and staged monologue scene in there... Lovecraft's deep phobia of sex is precisely (i believe) why Moore is exploring sex so overtly on this comic... he's trying to cause in us.. all the fear lovecraft would have about sex... the very concept of deep ones... the paranoid concern with bloodline purity (fears that are usually found to be right!)... wich is all over charles dexter ward.... sex as it concerns with fear.. and sex as it concerns with racism... moore's point i believe is that though sex is never overtly shown in any of  lovecraft's works it's definitely there as a subtext in a lot of his stuff...

Spoiler
if you accept Moore's theory as true... i dont think one can read this lovecraft story without thinking that it's all about deviant sex (or rather.. it's products...) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facts_Concerning_the_Late_Arthur_Jermyn_and_His_Family
[close]

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: Undeadite on Jan 20, 2011, 08:02:59 AM
Quote from: TheMonolith on Jan 20, 2011, 02:20:19 AM
I am re-reading Call of Cthulhu right now,
It really is interesting how Lovecraft can condense a story so well. Cthulhu is only some 20 pages long, but if adapted into a film, it would clock in at at least an hour and 40 minutes. It would be a great hour and 40 minutes in the right hands.

I would like to bring up one of my favorites. The Outsider. This is one of the saddest stories ever written, and I identify with the protagonist very well. Interesting given the ending of the story.

There was a 100% faithful adaptation of The Call of Cthulhu made by the Lovecraft Historical Society. It is only a few years old, but black and white and silent and only clocks in at 47 minutes.

Also, if you like The Outsider, I recommend Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak. It's a very loose adaptation, but it stars both Barbara Crampton and Jeffrey Combs (more widely known for starring in Re-Animator and From Beyond).
Oh yeah. I forgot about that version. I saw the first few minutes for it as well as the trailer, which looks scary as hell.
Probably the best Lovecraft adaptation to date.
I am interested in seeing Die Farbe, a German adaptation of The Colour out of Space, which looks to be farely faithful to the original story.

SM

SM

I have a theory about The Colour...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Cthulhu was painting one day and... some of his paint fell off to Earth.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I think the first time I hear about Lovecraft was in a epsiode of "Ghostbusters" on KidsWB back in the late 90's back in 1997 or 1998. I also remember "Godzilla: At World's End" deal with some Lovecraft themes from what I can remember.

maledoro

maledoro

Peta babkama luruba anaku! Usella mituti ikkalu baltuti!

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

oh the things one can find online...

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Odd that the first thing I thought is I have that same plushy.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I want that plushy.
So huggable.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Forget the squishable Cthulhu, I want the tombstone.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jan 22, 2011, 02:46:55 PM
Odd that the first thing I thought is I have that same plushy.

Haha, me too!

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Jan 22, 2011, 05:19:36 PM
Forget the squishable Cthulhu, I want the tombstone.

Pretty sure that isn't his tombstone, unless it has been replaced recently. His epitaph is far more simple.

QuoteI am Providence

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Undeadite on Jan 22, 2011, 06:39:56 PM
Pretty sure that isn't his tombstone, unless it has been replaced recently. His epitaph is far more simple.
I don't think that it is a tombstone; just some marker for the centennial of his birth placed somewhere else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed