Perfect organism?

Started by Inverse Effect, Apr 06, 2021, 07:04:02 AM

Author
Perfect organism? (Read 6,608 times)

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

I re-watched Covenant and noticed something. David calls the Creature "Perfect organism" Okay, and the only other character in the film series to call it that was Ash from Alien i believe. So? is there supposed to be some unexplained over arching plot reasoning behind this?

SM

SM

No.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Could be just a wink, nothing more.

David Weyland

David Weyland

I get the feeling part of the story arc plan of the prequels back into Alien was to tie David to Ash.

Makes perfect sense & I love it but unfortunately the prequel haters have probably scuppered that chance of finding out anytime soon

The_Nostromo_Files

The_Nostromo_Files

It is interesting when considering the disparate personalities of Ash and David, especially since David created it and Ash admires it.

David Weyland

David Weyland

IMO my gut feeling was David would come to be responsible for the rerouting of the Nostromo & the switch of the science officer with an 'infected' Ash or by David uploading his personality into Ash (Similar manner & accent) as much as I believe that's what happened to Walter-Rather than humans working in Weyland Yutani pulling the strings. This is to me a scarier concept than simply some greedy corporate company

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It's trite.

David Weyland

David Weyland

Yea but it's a prequel and dis is Hollywood baby  🤩🤢

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I dunno. It's as if the Ridley Scott prequels told us "We're going to be the Aliens that we have been looking for, since we have always been humans, even before Earth itself. The future is the biomechanical!"

Meanwhile, in another Scott production called Raised by Wolves they tell us something like "What if the aliens we are looking for are AI?".  :laugh:

I want a conclusion, but I don't want David to be responsible for everything.

Huggs

Huggs

I just assumed it was a nod to the other film. Ridley sometimes has moments in his movies that are nods to other films he's made or films he likes.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Totally agree Immortan Jonesy.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

To David it is the perfect organism, because it can wipe out the human race in a very terrifying way. David resents humans, you see his face when Weyland says he doesn't have a soul. After Weyland dies, David is "free" and he seeks a new family, which are the Xenomorphs. They don't see him as a threat and he wishes to unleash him on all those who have a soul.

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

If we assume that David sees the same qualities in it that Ash later does, I don't think it's the simple fact that it can "wipe out the human race in a terrifying way". There are any number of simpler things, like chemical or nuclear weapons that could do that just as effectively, and probably more efficiently.

As Ash says, what he admires is the fact that it doesn't suffer from "conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality", which are traits that he despises in humanity (because of their delusional status) and perhaps resents for them foisting on himself, as a synthetic. With David there may also be the sense that, as his creations, they are inherently more perfect than anything a flawed humanity could hope to create. The irony there is that it reveals his own imperfection, and perhaps deep-seated insecurity and self-loathing as a result.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Well you see to me David is a sadist, so using a nuclear option or the Black Goo as he did on the Engineers isn't good enough. He wants to see mankind suffer, he resents that humankind has "a soul."

I also think by the end of Alien: Covenant he has not intent to wipe out all humans, that he has learned his children, the Xenos, need hosts and if they are to survive, hosts must keep coming. I interpreted that Walter was part of a plan to get Colonists to David so he could continue to sowen his "perfect lifeform."

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

I remember Ridley Scott mentioning something along the lines that Covenant's sequel could touch upon how Weyland Yutani formed its programming for androids. So in theory, whatever David said might have laid the foundation for the neural network used by Ash, but it's not been canonically established yet. It might just be musings of Riddles' head-canon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed