Engineer's planet or "seed-race" that the Engineers "planted"?

Started by Ingwar, Mar 16, 2021, 01:44:27 PM

Author
Engineer's planet or "seed-race" that the Engineers "planted"? (Read 12,350 times)

Ingwar

Is discovered planet in Covenant actually The Engineer's planet? The race David exterminated doesn't look exactly the same like Engineer's from Prometheus. No pale white skin, no black eyes. Their city doesn't look technologically advanced either. It's ancient Greek and Roman alike. Docking ship floating above the city is the only technology that resembles the technology used by Engineers in Prometheus.

Are "Engineers" in Covenant another "seed-race" that the real Engineers "planted"?

My thread was inspired by Twin Perfect video (21:59)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZnKrvOyN6M

Nightmare Asylum

Prior to the film's release, I was under the impression that these beings were another "creation" race, a la humanity on Earth.

Ridley is of the mindset that they were actual Engineers, though, so that is where my mind now lies.

Andrea90

I think those are an other creation race that didn't fail like us. It's like Walter and David, we are David, they are Walter.

Corporal Hicks

As far as the production was concerned, they were Engineers. It was their homeworld.

BlueMarsalis79

It is the Engineers no question.

Ingwar

Is it really? It's not explained in the movie (I know that Ridley says it's Engineers planet) but there is one rule I follow while watching a movie: if it's not on the screen or isn't mentioned in the film (not interviews as they're not part of the canon) then it doesn't exist. Things can and do change during the process and you never know what Scott will bring in the future. Didn't he mentioned somewhere that Engineers will be involved in the next movie?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

IIRC, they were referred to as "Engineers" in the script as well.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 16, 2021, 04:13:40 PM
Didn't he mentioned somewhere that Engineers will be involved in the next movie?

He did.

As far as I'm concerned though, Scott's intention here is that what we watched play out in Covenant is David eradicating the Engineers on their homeworld, so until another project comes out that invalidates that, that's what we have here. There's still definitely room to say that there are more Engineers out there in the galaxy (perhaps on other installations like LV-223), or that these guys were some other created race rather than proper Engineers, but until something actually states it as such, I'm inclined to stick with Scott's intentions here.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Hmm they had to name them somehow in the script. I still believe that if the third movie happened we gonna meet proper Engineers or it's just my wishful thinking.

Nightmare Asylum

In my head I kind of rationalize it that the Engineers in Covenant have been all but forgotten by the more "perfect" members of their race, as the more "godlike" Engineers (like those seen in Prometheus) left the homeworld long ago and the stragglers on Planet 4 have since been withering away, losing their hold in the galaxy, and dying off - with David then putting the final nail in their coffin as he eradicates them. That parallels nicely with what David's thoughts on humanity, too: "They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. So they are leaving the earth forever. But their power is an illusion. They don't deserve to start again, and I'm not going to let them."

I do believe that there are more Engineers out there, though. Like what we saw in Prometheus, or the Space Jockey in Alien - beings that are further evolved, to varying degrees, beyond the humanoid forms in Covenant (almost certainly due to varying degrees of experimentation on themselves with the pathogen).

Ingwar

Yeah, I can agree with your argumentation.

I hope they gonna bring more Engineers and their lore in the third movie (if it happens) as I find it the most interesting aspect of Prometheus/Covenant. They should expand on that much more because what we have seen so far is just a surface.

BlueMarsalis79

If we do see them again, I hope it's only in the context of their precursors, The Pilots.

Otherwise I, for one, hope David wiped them all out.

As that Chariots of the Gods stuff's not my cup of tea at all, I find it ridiculous at best, and insulting at worst.

And if they try to use The Pathogen to create biomechanical exoskeletons for themselves it might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me with the Prequels.

Ingwar

I can tell you're not a fan ;D

BlueMarsalis79

It's dumb.

I can get behind it within David's story, of being an immortal artificial intelligence, and disappointed that the so called Gods amount to nothing more than mortal men once again.

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat - I'm not thrilled about Prometheus' revelations about the Engineers on its own two feet, but I do dig the idea within the context of David's narrative and the ripple effect caused by the endless cycle of creations supplanting creators that Covenant extrapolated from Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed