Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 455

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 274,085 times)

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Pick your juice.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Over the years I've gone from hating AVP the enjoying it for what it is.

I've gone from disliking Prometheus to really disliking it a lot.

Covenant I still think is a clusterf**k. It's all over the place. There's some really good stuff in it but there's also so much crap I can't bring myself to like it overall.

Kradan

Kradan

Fair enough

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Juicy clusterf**k.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Dec 16, 2020, 08:42:40 AM
Juicy clusterf**k.

t. Necronomicon II on his romantic exploits

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 13, 2020, 09:08:35 PM
Prometheus thinks it's a smart movie, and it fails.

Exactly this ! Thanks sarge  ;)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

This was sadly quite entertaining:

Kradan

Kradan

Kradan

Didn't find a better thread to post this:

I love Covenant, I love it a bit more with every viewing. But there's something about the movie I'd probably never be OK with - the treatment of the creatures themselves. Since I first saw it in cinema I always felt Neomorphs/Protomorphs were born only to be quickly killed off. I don't understand the need for having pair of each species - 2 Neos and 2 Protos. I mean, I guess it's somehow ties with ship being named Covenant after all and Noah's biblical story. But I just wish we've got to spend more time with each one of them

I'm not claiming that everything I wrote here would improve the movie drastically or even the issue I started up with. But I had fun thinking about it without changing much of the story and wanted to share some of my thoughts

So I was thinking about it. If I was to somehow change that I would first restrict movie to only 1 Neo and 1 Proto. It's pretty easy with having only 1 Neo actually. You cut throatburster one and leave only one that comes out off Ledward. In the grass attack scene you just show it attacking Rosenthal still in its infantile form and subsequently being scared off by the bullets and David's noisy arrival. Tbh, on my first watch I didn't even noticed first-born Neo being killed in that scene, I just thought it ran off wounded. I would also cut that short scene of creature approaching Engineer's stone cathedral and climbing up its walls. So we don't get to see Neomorph in its fully grown form until later when it kills Rosenthal and even here we only get quick shot of it's head and jaws. I can see in my head what a cool reveal shot it would be if the first time we saw adult Neomorph was the moment when David finds it feeding on Rosie's body. So that way Neo gets more kills and more of a presence in the movie instead of having 2 creatures who are quickly offed in their respective scenes

It's a bit more tricky with having 1 Proto 'cause you can't really have it somehow survive that cargo lift sequence and get aboard Covenant unnoticed. So, only thing I can come up with is (as much as I love it. especially Kurzel's score) to cut that scene entirely and just have it attach itself to the bottom of the vehicle and get aboard the ship without anybody knowing it. It's probably a better idea to cut the shots of it jumping on cargo lift, just show it running towards it from the cathedral. That way you can keep at least some amount of tension from "Did it or did it not get aboard the ship ?". Well, at least it wouldn't be worse than in the actual movie where it was pretty obvious that Proto got on board. Without cargo lift scene you can have more time spent with Daniels and Tennessee running around trying to capture 1 Proto. Maybe even have some failed 1-2 attempts to seal it and having to come up with a better plan on the run. Also, did I mention cutting Lope being chestbursted ? Yep, just have him being slained unconscious in Med Bay by that 1 Proto 'cause as much as I love the movie 5-second impregnation thing was pretty stupid (and don't you tell me Alex White made it work in his books unless you want me to send you a pizza roll). Again, you have more time spent on one creature and it having more kills.

City Hunter Yautja

From a horror perspective the film was brillant, but honestly it felt like Scott made Covenant to be a remake of Alien so he could use all the CG he was deprived of in the past to make his vision come alive and appease fans who hated Prometheus.

My greatest issue with the film is David being the 'engineer' of the egg, facehugger, and Xenomorph. It flies in the face of canon that The Queen Xeno lays the eggs and if there is no queen, a drone mutates into one (Alien Director Cut).

I could forgive David being a cook who simply discovers the recipe that creates the Xenomorphs, and that others like The Engineers and Colonists stumble on the recipe too seperately.

Overall, Covenant is a good film if you ignore the retcons, continuity issues, and the bad pacing once you are in cave with David, where the film really slows down and frankly has poor aesthetic in my opinion. The film shines at the arrival, the exploring of the planet,  the Neomorph incident and in the climaxes of the Xenomorphs first trying to board the shuttle, and later on board the ship.

Honestly however, Scott failed here storywise. Prometheus had a build up to seeing The Engineer Homeworld and an encounter with them on their planet, we hardly get that but in a rushed flashback scene. Worse Elizabeth Shaw, my favorite character since Ripely is killed off as an experiment by David. Really?! She saved his life and gave him an existence beyond being a decapitated head. He'd have never been able to play biologist and bioengineer if it weren't for Shaw! But most glaring is David being the father of the Xenomorph. This is like Disney who sweeped SW Expanded Universe into Legends and said it aint canon. Now all these Alien and Alien vs Predator books, comics, games, and worse even canon films (a la Aliens, Alien 3, and Ressurection) don't jive, having been contradicted by this violent retcon/ reboot of Alien Covenant. Why oh why must good stories be called legends and not be used, and instead contradictions and continuity messes are called canon?! Ugh rant over.

Covenant is a good film if you just decide its the Original Alien rebooted. Otherwise the plot holes and continuity issues will make parts of it unbearable to fans.

[cancerblack]

Kradan

Kradan

He's still saying it's a good movie, you know

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

He may well like it more than me. I think it's pretty mediocre with just a handful of highlights.

But my crusade against pearl-clutching, canon-obsessed internet-fandom is eternal.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 08, 2021, 09:37:31 PM
He may well like it more than me. I think it's pretty mediocre with just a handful of highlights.

But my crusade against pearl-clutching, canon-obsessed internet-fandom is eternal.

I cannot say who likes it more. You or I.

My issue isn't canon clutching, its that Covenant messed with both the canon and legends in a major way. Unless of course Scott reveals in a subsequent film that David is simply one of many who helps the Xenomorph come to life.

Kradan

Kradan

You can say whatever you want about David/Walter twist being far too predictable but  for me David being the creator of Alien was a real twist of the movie I haven't seen coming

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed