Engineering Prometheus – From Jon Spaihts to Damon Lindelof

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2016, 02:31:57 PM

Author
Engineering Prometheus – From Jon Spaihts to Damon Lindelof (Read 11,599 times)

Corporal Hicks

This is something I've been working on for a while now. It's an article charting the development of the Alien prequel to Prometheus.

I hope you enjoy!

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/prometheus/engineering-prometheus/

oduodu

Thanks Corporal
This article answers so many of my questions. Looks like the furious gods is a must see.

Its interesting the explanation on how spaihts came to his conclusion as to why the whole thing had to be relatable to humanity.

I will be reading this again many times

Thank you

Corporal Hicks

Thanks, oduodu. I'm glad you like it. I tried to put together a complete story so that the development was as clear as possible.

Jon Spaihts just retweeted the article, calling it a "rock-solid piece".  ;D https://twitter.com/jonspaihts/status/728670170978226176

oduodu

That's great !

Thanks Mr Spaihts

LarsVader

Wasn't there something about a Carl Rinsch ALIEN remake lingering around for a while which initially set things into motion?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: LarsVader on May 06, 2016, 08:46:37 PM
Wasn't there something about a Carl Rinsch ALIEN remake lingering around for a while which initially set things into motion?

It was just Bloody Disgusting who reported it as a remake but quickly updated to say it would be an "origin" story.

LarsVader

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 06, 2016, 08:54:29 PM
Quote from: LarsVader on May 06, 2016, 08:46:37 PM

It was just Bloody Disgusting who reported it as a remake but quickly updated to say it would be an "origin" story.
Was always wondering how much truth there might be to that, since Prometheus integrates so many elements from earlier ALIEN scripts/concepts/ideas.

Corporal Hicks

I don't think it was ever considered a remake. Rinsch's involvement came after Spaihts and Spaihts was always working on a prequel. It was just a mistake in the lines of communication from BD's source.

Look into my eye

Great read Hicks, thanks!
It makes me wonder if  the development of the Covenant script is going to be just as interesting when it is released, and what they changed or left in.

oduodu

Quote from: Look into my eye on May 07, 2016, 08:32:42 AM
It makes me wonder if  the development of the Covenant script is going to be just as interesting when it is released, and what they changed or left in.

Yes that's a good point. I also wonder if we will see leaked scripts after covenants release.

Stolen

Great job Corporal.
Spaihts made a good first script, but I liked the direction taken by Lindelof. More interesting.
Maybe not the most rigorous script, but a great story, great ideas and reflections, stunning scenes ... I want to see again Prometheus, Thanks

---
The notion of a film exploring the untold history of Alien in more depth is something that has existed in Ridley Scott's brain since he finished work on Alien. Talking to Omni's Screen Flights/Screen Fantasies back in 1984, he commented on his desire to delve into the history of the Alien:

"It certainly should explain what the Alien is and where it comes from. That will be tough because it will require dealing with other planets, worlds, civilisations. Because obviously the Alien did come from some sort of civilisation. The Alien was presented, really, as one of the last survivors of Mars – a planet named after the god of war. The Alien may be one of the last descendants of some long-lost self-destructed group of beings."

It's crazy but he could say this for Covenant, and it is only in 1984.

Whiskeybrewer

Great Article Hicks. So in depth, means i've got to watch Furious Gods now lol

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 06, 2016, 08:08:27 PM
Jon Spaihts just retweeted the article, calling it a "rock-solid piece".  ;D https://twitter.com/jonspaihts/status/728670170978226176

Nice commendation from the man himself!

The Engineers script really had some great elements without most of Lindelof's re-write issues. Still needed a fair amount of polish which makes me curious about the latter drafts such as Alien: Zero. Didn't someone on here claim they had a hardcopy and were going to send it to you?

It looks like it. Back in October 2014, the "Prometheus 2" script was already at 15 drafts with three different writers involved. Who knows how many revisions/re-writes it's had since. At one point they even had a call for any established screenwriters to submit sample scripts which demonstrates just how rudderless they were with regards to a sequel.

Giger Beast

Really awesome article, nicely done.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: oduodu on May 07, 2016, 08:46:15 AM

Yes that's a good point. I also wonder if we will see leaked scripts after covenants release.

I certainly hope we'll get to see some of the scripts. I'll be really curious to see how this one changed over time. Hopefully it's a better end result than Prometheus.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 07, 2016, 02:43:19 PM
The Engineers script really had some great elements without most of Lindelof's re-write issues. Still needed a fair amount of polish which makes me curious about the latter drafts such as Alien: Zero. Didn't someone on here claim they had a hardcopy and were going to send it to you?

He hasn't been on since March unfortunately so nothing has come out of that one yet.  :(

Thanks for the kind words, gents. I spent a bit of time on this one and am quite proud of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed