Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 115,331 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 07, 2016, 11:42:02 AM
There was no more "world building" to do.

You're right.  It was already well-established and Alien Resurrection flushed it all down the toilet.

Novak 1334

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 07, 2016, 12:06:06 PM

You're right.  It was already well-established and Alien Resurrection flushed it all down the toilet.

f**king Walmart....

Vermillion

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Sep 07, 2016, 10:27:05 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 07, 2016, 12:06:06 PM

f**king Walmart....
Haha!

monkeylove

As I explained in another thread, the movies employ various genres.

The first is horror because the creature is revealed in full only at the end.

The second focuses on action for obvious reasons, as the creature has already been revealed in the previous film.

The third emphasizes something like detective fiction, as protagonists slowly discover the existence of the alien (not the same as the first movie, as they did not know what they were dealing with until much later) and then figure out how to destroy it.

I think the fourth emphasizes thriller and conspiracy.

Toxic34

Jim will have considerable clout with Disney once the acquisition is complete, and they officially become on the hook to release the Avatar sequels. Given they will own everything Jim-related except Terminator and T2 (of course, to be fair, they'll only own Fox's share of Titanic while Paramount continues to own the other share), he'll be in a position where everyone would have to listen. He'll also obviously never stop being strident in his approach or give up being willing to fight to the death for his vision. This is especially important, because he won't meekly submit to whatever Alan Horn wants. So if Jim tells them he really wants Disney to revive Blomkamp's film, they'll seriously consider it.

Also, do you foresee Jim also injecting himself to stand up to other decisions Horn has pushed Disney for, like potentially shuttering R-rated projects and pushing they reverse position on James Gunn?

Whos_Nick

I could see Jim mentioning the Blomkamp idea to Disney again and there's been a rumor that their upcoming streaming service will have a mature content tier. Which makes sense considering they will have Fox's entire library and need all the content they can to go against Netflix.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Toxic34 on Oct 28, 2018, 11:35:25 PM
Jim will have considerable clout with Disney once the acquisition is complete, and they officially become on the hook to release the Avatar sequels. Given they will own everything Jim-related except Terminator and T2 (of course, to be fair, they'll only own Fox's share of Titanic while Paramount continues to own the other share), he'll be in a position where everyone would have to listen. He'll also obviously never stop being strident in his approach or give up being willing to fight to the death for his vision. This is especially important, because he won't meekly submit to whatever Alan Horn wants. So if Jim tells them he really wants Disney to revive Blomkamp's film, they'll seriously consider it.

I seriously doubt even a name like Cameron can boss around Disney. And while he will fight for his version, like most directors he will probably opt for a compromise than no movie at all. I think he cares more for the success of his Avatar series than Disney does. He worked on his baby for the last decade. Disney has plenty of  other money making Franchises. Maybe they would consider Blomkamp's Alien again , if Jim produces or involves himself in the project so it reduces the risk for Disney to lose their money on the movie.

Quote from: Toxic34 on Oct 28, 2018, 11:35:25 PM
Also, do you foresee Jim also injecting himself to stand up to other decisions Horn has pushed Disney for, like potentially shuttering R-rated projects and pushing they reverse position on James Gunn?

No, why would he. I seriously doubt Disney would care and why burn the bridges for future projects with Disney.

SM

If the next Avatar does well, Cameron will be one of the few people who could boss Disney around.

The Kurgan

Quote from: SM on Oct 29, 2018, 10:28:22 AM
If the next Avatar does well, Cameron will be one of the few people who could boss Disney around.

Sure, it would give a lot more weight to his voice but bossing the big D around might be pushing it.

SiL

Cameron is arguably one of the few filmmakers who could already boss anyone around, but he's always had to fight uphill battles. I don't see that changing even if A2 is a success.

The Kurgan

Maybe.
I can see him putting all the effort and struggle into it if it is about an absolute passion project of his, like the Avatar series.
Can't really see him doing it for Blomkamp's Alien, even if he loved the script,or James Gunn. Not that i would not like seeing him beating the drum for a new Alien at Disney. I just don't think he is that passionate about it.

But who knows, maybe he is and he will be the tipping on the scales towards a new Alien under Disney. Whatever that means  :P

CristianoRonaldo7

Today, I read a new article about Sigourney Weaver talking about ALIEN 5. It's obvouis is coming. I hope Mediocre Blomkamp ISN'T Directing.

Huggs

The only recent headline I see just mentions that Weaver merely said Cameron "liked Blomkamps idea". Unless I'm mistaken, this has been known for quite some time. I sure hope it doesn't happen though.

A much better director needs to go back to the strict alien horror of 1 and 3. After the two prequels we've had, Blomkamp doing his movie would be like jumping out of acid, then fire, only to land in a nest of wasps. If the franchise isn't dead now, it would be after Blomkamp's 2 cents.

N-Shifter

I hope it happens, I hope Blomkamp get's his chance and I hope he does it with his original idea that didn't involve Ripley and the gang, that ship has sailed, by the time they get around to it Sigourney and Biehn will be way too old.

Why everyone is so against giving Blomkamp a chance is really strange to me, get someone else to write the script and you'd have yourself a great visual director and god knows the franchise needs some fresh blood.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed