Things You Liked About Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Jan 05, 2019, 02:49:37 PM

Author
Things You Liked About Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 26,023 times)

TheSailingRabbit

If there are things you like about Alien: Resurrection, The Predator, and AvP:R, surely, there are things you enjoy about A:CM. Don't say, "When I stopped playing it," or stuff like that, and please don't start debates about Alien 3, because we have a hundred other threads for that.

Alright. For me personally, I liked the inclusion of movie characters for multiplayer. Hudson could be a little less puffy, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you can play as the Ultimate Badass. I also like the fact that there's a wide variety of weapons to use, aside from the pulse rifle and smartgun.

The Kurgan

It was nice to visit the retro-tech world of aliens again. They got the look of the setting right for the most part.

I am not sure if that was a mod or a later version, but at some point there were sparks flying when shooting a xenomorph in my game, implying some natural armor and also recreating the effect from the movie.

Also they had the most faithful depiction of Aliens's ridged warriors in any video game until now, if i remember corretly.

Xenomrph

I liked the weapon designs, they felt like logical extensions of the USCM arsenal (and the WY mercenary arsenal was neat). I liked that the weapons had actual uses for different situations, it wasn't just "the pulse rifle is the best gun in the game, use it until you run out of ammo and then use something else until you find pulse rifle ammo again" like it is in the vast majority of Aliens/AvP FPS games.

I also liked the look of the levels and their design, they felt like logical extensions of the Sulaco and other places we hadn't seen. I especially liked exploring the Derelict, I thought that was executed really well.

Vermillion

I really liked the launch trailer. Like loved it.

https://youtu.be/i9KkTY8_gio

The Kurgan

Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 05, 2019, 04:03:58 PM

Ah right. That one was great.

Huggs

Clint Mansell's theme blended well in that one.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 05, 2019, 03:41:59 PM
I liked the weapon designs, they felt like logical extensions of the USCM arsenal (and the WY mercenary arsenal was neat). I liked that the weapons had actual uses for different situations, it wasn't just "the pulse rifle is the best gun in the game, use it until you run out of ammo and then use something else until you find pulse rifle ammo again" like it is in the vast majority of Aliens/AvP FPS games.

I also liked the look of the levels and their design, they felt like logical extensions of the Sulaco and other places we hadn't seen. I especially liked exploring the Derelict, I thought that was executed really well.

I agree with your first half. Disagree with your second half.

Didn't the Derelict featuring Prometheus hallways
and it's layout being completely f**ked bother you?
The egg chamber comes before the Space Jockey FFS.

Lots of impossible space in ACM.

Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 05, 2019, 04:03:58 PM

That's what we all wanted the game to be.

I liked the idea that the Aliens survived the Nuclear detonation in the sewers,
like cockroaches and the boiler variation born of the radiation.

Still Collating...

The multiplayer. Especially the ideas for all of the game modes, the customization and upgrading of both species. The setting and the weapons were also great, aesthetic wise at least. There were many nice things in the game, even though it had so many other problems, I have really fond memories of the game, it's mods and especially the multiplayer.

Dingbat

I really liked the sewer part, that was really creepy.

I also liked the weapons, they fitted really well with the already existing ones.

The damage you did to the xenomorphs was good as well, it reminds me a lot of the old starship troopers game.

The Old One

The Old One

The Xenomorphs were far too expendable IMO.
Felt like an arcade game.

TC

I simply liked hearing Michael Biehn's voice as Hicks. So... authentic.

TC

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: TC on Jan 06, 2019, 01:50:35 AM
I simply liked hearing Michael Biehn's voice as Hicks. So... authentic.

TC

"Aliens: Colonial Marines seemed kind of passionless. I think in movies, television, and the gaming world,
you get some people that are really, really passionate, and some people that are just going through the paces.
They think that because they have a brand name they're going to get a hit game or hit movie out of it.
That certainly was the situation on [Colonial Marines]."

-Michael Biehn

TC

I wasn't really talking about the quality of his acting. Just the sound of his voice.

The guy that did Hudson was also pretty good (not Bill Paxton). The other original-cast voice actors, I dunno, they just sounded.. old? Mark Rolston didn't sound like him at all.

TC

The Old One

The Old One

I don't think it was their fault TBH
Mark Rolston's Norman Osborn's excellent.

ACM's direction's passionless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed