This ALIEN Day / Week I replay the whole ACM campaign!

Started by Darth Rinzler, Apr 27, 2018, 11:19:23 PM

Author
This ALIEN Day / Week I replay the whole ACM campaign! (Read 7,641 times)

Darth Rinzler

Besides replaying this game, I make some notes about things we see that were probably missed by most people playing the game.  I still love this game and I do think it is one of the best FPS ever made, only tied with HALO 3 and 4.

Bits of Lore people may have missed @00:7:34 we see a Colonial Marine has a M41 Pulse Rifle, that type of Pulse Rifle made it's first appearance in Aliens vs Predator Extinction, this game heavily refernce's Aliens vs Predator Extinction, the Aliens all rapidly evolve for heavy combat in this game just like they do in Aliens vs Predator Extinction, lore for their evolution are in both games as well. Another M41 Pulse Rifle, just like the ones from Aliens vs Predator Extinction can be found here @00:07:56

The incidents the Captain is referencing happened in Aliens: Infestation, @00:02:51 . Most the Marines died in that game, it takes place days before Winter is woken up.

@00:16:06 Ether this Marine has Green Face Paint on, or he was an Infectoid. In the Female War / War on Earth, it was found aliens can mentally control hosts, even if they are practically a walking skeleton, with a spesific type of chest burster, their skin is depicted turning dark blue and other colors, the Predator in AvP Capcom Arcade also did this when it became an infectoid.

The Damage shown on the readouts to the Marine Trooper carrier @00:20:53 were done in "ALIENS: Infestation" caused by a huge explosion caused because of a Fight with a very Large Aggressive unknown type of Alien, possibly a King Alien.

What Happend to Keys? @00:26:35 he sets off a hand grenade while in the umbilical, that leads back to your ship. Some thing he was just an ass hole, but if we take into consideration the lore used from other Aliens and AvP stories, he is very likely to have been an Infectoid. The Queen could have used you as her way of getting out of her cell the WY kept her in, and the only way you could do that is if you didn't leave LV-426, you likely would have if you had made it back too your own ship. We see in many sources form the Aliens perspective that they do indeed have powerful planing skills and galactic awareness, like in AvP Extinction, AvP Evolution, and the AvP games 1-3.

Winters partners asks the Captain if someone else is aboard the Marine ship they just boarded because of all the WY gear aboard @00:29:27 , and their is. In ALIENS: Infestation WY has lots of personnel and Mercs aboard the ship, and they conduct experiments with the Alien, making lots more, including the Dreaded Gorilla Alien and Gorilla Praetorian Alien. Video log @00:32:37 Also the reason they would already have some names for the Aliens they have encountered is because the Marines in the Battalions sent to the Sulaco have been fighting the Aliens for days now, Winter was asleep through most these encounters.

The Cargo Area @00:43:09 is one of a few and could actually be one of the places that final battle takes place at in Aliens:Infestation if not one of the landing areas meant for the Dropships.

Darth Rinzler

Darth Rinzler

Here are some facts about the weapons in Colonial Marines you may have missed!

The Grenades used in the ARMAT U1 @00:05:14 ,  ARMAT B15 Timed Explosive @00:09:53 , ARMAT U4 Firebomb grenade @00:15:43 , and ARMAT M40 HEDP Grenade @00:15:49  all use "Composition B" based material in the explosives.   

Interesting articles for Composition B can be found here, but in short.  Composition B, colloquially "Comp B", is an explosive consisting of castable mixtures of RDX and TNT. It is used as the main explosive filling in artillery projectiles, rockets, land mines, hand grenades and various other munitions. It was also used for the explosive lenses in the first implosion-type nuclear weapons developed by the United States.

The standard proportions of ingredients (by weight) are 59.5% RDX (detonation velocity of 8,750 m/s) and 39.4% TNT (detonation velocity of 6,900 m/s), phlegmatized with 1% paraffin wax. Most commonly it is described as 60/40 RDX/TNT with 1% wax added.

Density: 1.65 g/cm3
Velocity of detonation: 8,050 m/s

https://iexpe.org/knowledgebase/what-is-composition-b/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_B

What is scary is that we see Aliens survive these explosives, some just shrugging them off like they are nothing, like the Raven, Crusher, and other more evolved Aliens in Aliens Colonial Marines and other stories in the series.

The ARMAT U7 Tac-Shotgun @00:00:32 is made specifically to fire 12 gauge shotgun rounds.  We see in the Colonial Marines tech manual that they have the ability to fire Shotgun rounds with the U1 already.   What the U7 does is keep the spread from spreading out as much at the U1, based on it now having a longer barrel.  It will keep the shot more condensed and give it better range, if they are using the same cartage's and same sized shot.

Firebombs like the U4 @00:00:43 use Termite in their Napalm mixture.   It says it reaches 1,200 Celsius temperatures, but this is Napalm itself.  The fire would need to reach around 1,200 degrees Celsius to ignite the Thermite.   Thermite burns between 2204 degrees Celsius to even 10000 degrees Celsius.   
https://www.unitednuclear.com/thermiteinfo.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Napalm is deadly, especially in the United Americas military as it is double thick and mixed with other materials to make it even hotter.  This article talks about why Napalm is so deadly.  https://science.howstuffworks.com/napalm.htm

In short, it will burn you even if you dive underwater, it sticks to you and spreads all over anything it touches, just the chemicals in the Napalm will dissolve your flesh, ignited or not,  and it can make you suffocate to death fast.

What is scary is we see aliens surviving Napalm in the series, it's no surprise because we do see one in "Alien Covenant" survive the Jet Wash of a Heavy Aircraft, and it actually was strong enough to stay attacked to the ship, resisting the force of the engines Jet wash.

The ARMAT A9 Sound Suppressor found on the M41A @00:01:11 , @00:05:31 , ARMAT A7 Sound Suppressor @00:11:49 ,   and the W-Y BL11 Firearm Muffler on the  WY Assault Rifle @00:03:37  Shouldn't really decrees the FOI of the projectile they fire, in real life modern Suppressors do not require sub sonic rounds to function.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/suppressors-what-you-need-to-know/

However, whatever the Grade of Material used in the United Americas Suppressors must have extremely high Heat endurance to function on weapons like the M41A Pulse rifle.  Automatic weapons destroy Suppressors really fast because they don't have the heat tolerance to handle rapid firing actions.

The Pulse Rifle, depending on the model, Carry 40-99 10mm Caseless explosive steel rounds and can fire them 900 rounds a minute while weapons like the SAW Fire rounds 725 - 1000 rounds a minute. hrrps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M249_light_machine_gun#Design_details

With a modern Suppressor it will meltdown at around 700 rounds of constant firing.
hrrps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SJI4iSEQos

So far, we have seen the M41A Mk2 have much higher tolerances with its larger caliber projectiles.    The projectiles it fires travel 840 m/s while the the 5.56 in the SAW travel 850 m/s - 993 m/s.  It is possible it is putting out more heat, the SAW, but, we don't ever even see the Pulse Rifle glow from firing its Shells rapidly, until a source shows this, we can assume that its much more heat resistant as we do see weapons glow from firing a lot less projectiles than the SAW in the above video.
hrrps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw&t=679s

Also the ARMAT Magazine Accelerator dramatically @00:02:13 ,  increases the rate of fire for the Pulse Rifle, we still do not see any component glowing from constant firing even with the ROF dramatically changed.

' The Definition of dramatically is this dra·mat·i·cal·ly
dr?'mad?kle/
adverb
adverb: dramatically

in a way that relates to drama or the performance of drama.
    "they displayed their talents both musically and dramatically"
    by a strikingly large amount or to a strikingly large extent; greatly.
    "his health has improved dramatically" '

So if it is increased by a 1/4th its firing, it can fire 1125 rounds a minute.  If it's increased by 1/2th, it can fire 1350 a minute.

W-Y NSG 23 Assault Rifle can carry a W-Y ID23 Incineration Unit @00:03:01  The Fuel has Magnesium in it.  Magnesium burns at 2200 °C  hrrps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-gNldBNWg

The W-Y H34 Fragmentation Rounds used on the Assault Rifle @00:03:21 have a blast Radius of 2 meters.

The W-Y AF13 Shotgun @00:03:26 , fires compressed High Density Buckshot.

The ARMAT M4RA Battle Rifle can carry a ARMAT Prox-Mine Launcher that are proximity detonated. @00:05:02

The ARMAT SMART Targeting Scope, @00:05:55  is based on the same hardware for targeting used on a Smart Gun and can display threats up to 100m.     Their is a FLIR model with a range of 300 yards, but it's refresh rate is 60 Hz and it has no magnification.  Also the Smart Link does more than just show the Rifleman the world through a Infrared filter, the computer shows in real time all the enemies in it's field of view, not distorted ether.

The Battle Rifle can use the A19 High Velocity Round @00:06:21 its propellant assisted, traveling at "Significantly Higher velocities than the standard Round used.

Definition of "Significantly". ' sig·nif·i·cant·ly
s?g'nif?k?ntle/
adverb
adverb: significantly

in a sufficiently great or important way as to be worthy of attention.
    "energy bills have increased significantly this year" '

Lets use the Round used by the Pulse Rifle as a base.  at 1/4th it's velocity is 1050 m/s.  1/2 it's 1260 m / s.   Thats not bad, it doesn't compare with modern day Sniper Rifles like the Knight used by NAVY SEALS, though it is better than the most powerful one used by the USA Military. BUT if you look at the effective ranges of other Sniper Rifles used by the Colonial Marines you will notice they blow modern Sniper Rifles out of the Water.

The Armat M42A Scope Rifle has a standard effective range of 2,950 meters, they have a Fin Stabilized extended range variant with a range not known to us.

Modern USA military ranges for the Knight and others is over 800-1000 meters.
http://weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/AA05%20-%20SR-25.html

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/m24.htm

Also none of the Sniper Rifles we have now fire as deadly of rounds as these do or have as advanced scopes as the USMC have, the later one mentioned not in the game is a composite system using Ultraviolet and other systems along with Infrared.

The W-Y MK221 Tactical Shotgun @00:08:02 , can carry a W-Y 21S ARC Round.  It is a Sold Slug Shotgun round that is also electrified enough that if somehow someone survived getting hit by the round, they would be stunned by the electricity.  Its shown being energized enough to stun ALIENS as well.   

Slugs put out more energy on impact that rifles, usually, but at closer ranges.  They are meant for Medium-Large game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug

Steel Slugs are used for taking out Engine blocks on vehicles, the over penetrate and can defeat hard armor used by infantry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug#Steel_slugs

In order for this thing to be "electrified" like it is in the lore, it must be a good conductor.  Ironically enough the type of Steel Slugs used in reference above have copper in them, both Steel and Copper are much more conductive than Lead.
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/which-metals-conduct-electricity/

So it is very likely the Steel type we are talking about, and scary enough, most ALIENs do not die in one shot from this weapon, nor are they every "over penetrated."

The W-Y ID16 Incendiary Shells @00:08:23 use buckshot made from a thermite / phosphorous mixture.  Phosphorus burns hot at 2760 degrees Celsius.  Thermite burns at 2204 degrees Celsius to even 10000 degrees Celsius.

A Motorized Cycling Mechanism can be used with this shotgun @00:09:32 turning this into an Automatic Shotgun.

ARMAT M37A2 Pump Shotgun can carry ARMAT R1 Fletcehtte Rounds.  They are steel darts that barely have any spread and put out a lot of damage on impact.  It was mainly used for Armor Piercing use in Combat Shotguns in Vietnam.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flechette#Small-arms_ammunition  Considering what it is capable of compared to other Marine weapons it has to be putting out extremely high levels of energy on impact. 

It also can carry the ARMAT S11 Expanding Shot, its shaped like a Mushroom and expands inside the target.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/11/4/expanding-bullets-how-they-really-work/

Its extremely effective on dangerous game on earth.  http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/01/14/oath-expanding-fragmenting-slugs/

But against the more dangerous Aliens your better off using something bigger.

The Service Pistol can use the A27 High Velocity Rounds, propellant assisted rounds just like what is used by the Battle rifle.
Going by stats, it turns a 9mm shell into something as deadly as a Pulse Rifle standard round.

The best is the last one.  The ARMAT Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle @00:14:00 fires Super Heated Plasma.  It's a long ranged weapon and can function as a Sniper Rifle or Anti-vehicle weapon, based on it's destructive output. 

Just as an example, a 30mm Cannon round did the damage you see in the pictures here.  "WARNING GRAPHIC DAMAGE TO PERSON IS SEEN HERE".

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-50-cal-sniper-rifle-rip-a-body-apart-with-a-single-bullet

https://www.quora.com/How-badly-shredded-is-an-enemy-combatants-body-after-getting-hit-by-a-couple-of-30mm-rounds-from-an-A-10s-GAU-8-cannon

The energy output, velocity wise, is 200 kilojoules https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger#Design

A single round doesn't not put out the same levels of damage a Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle does.  The Cannon will put a big hole in a person.  The PPPR, for short, is depicted firing a Small Purple Plasma Beam that violently blows multiple people apart with a single shot, in a row, and keep going, it is also depicted doing the same to three Alien Warriors in a row, and their physical capabilities far out do humans.

At the very least it is putting out the same amount of energy at impact that a GAU-8 does, but It very well can be putting out Hundreds of Thousands of Kilowats of energy, or more.  The only Humans depicting surviving this weapon, at least more than 1 shot, has been humans in heavy armor made to protect them from Aliens, while all the more evolved aliens not only survive multiple hits from it, they can deflect bolts back at the person firing them or at least the energy from the bolt. hrrps://youtu.be/F1Kz7Oe_jWk?t=1464

Its a frightening weapon used against equally frightening enemies, some that can survive multiple hits from it.

The ARMAT G2 Electroshock Grenade put out 1.2 gigavolts of electricity.   Unfortunally we don't know the amp, but to put  it in perspective, a police taser puts out 5000 volts but only 1000 actually effects the target because of both the resistance of the weapon and the target.   It is shown being able to stun just about anyone or anything.  It is not something to mess with.

Most the youtube videos I used for references have an rr in the address instead of the "tt" I did this so as not to clutter the post up with videos that are not of the game. 

https://youtu.be/eqjYHYMIAPc?t=1227

Unfortunately this year, I couldn't find anyone to PvP with.  However, it had been a while since I got to go too the Firing Range and I find it oddly satisfying firing the weapons their.  They have many different setups and objectives in the Firing Range to test your accuracy at long range, moving targets, and situational awareness.  I like to think all the Marine ships actually have areas like this aboard them, my only question then is, "What does the Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle" fire in this area, or is it even a real PPPR, just a light gun to simulate firing the PPPR?

I really wish all FPS had areas like this, that allowed people to practice with any gun in that game.   It would help anyone that has just gotten a rare weapon in a PvP FPS.  For example, HALO 5 has lost of guns, the rarer ones you can't practice with at all, a some have different firing characteristics that you might not know about, or have experience handling because you just never get that gun, but a firing range like in ACM would help players get experience if they normally can't, so they are better familiar with weapons they may use.

On a Side not, I just wish I had an authentic Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle replica I could take with me if I cosplay as a USCM with really nice Purple LEDs, maybe an actual Ultra Violet Laser emitter in the barrel, that would be sick!!!

Local Trouble

Was it as magical as the first time?

Darth Rinzler

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 04, 2018, 02:02:19 AM
Was it as magical as the first time?

It's always really good, so, sure XD

skull-splitter

I am a bit torn on this game. Some parts are better than we gave them credit for, on the other hand some parts are fundamentally broken from the box.

After this I vowed never to buy anything from Gearbox ever again. Being lied to over the course of 5+ years is too much and cost AvP'10 a lot of polish.

Shaun

I like this game, because we can explore the Sulaco. We can go to Operations.

I think it's because I'm such a fan of the franchise that it's the little things like seeing Bishops milky trail that really make it for me,

THAT being said. This had SO much potential that wasn't tapped on.
They could have (and should have) done ALOT better than what was released.

SM

I like how Bishops legs magically jumped over the airlock instead of being sucked out.

The Old One

The Old One

It's that kind of fan service that I despise, the "Hey, look at this thing that you know." instead of devoting that time to  a logical continuity of ideas that the writer/director want to explore.

Like expanding upon concepts in ways that push the story forward, think; the way that Alien Isolation looked at the logical conclusion of cheaper androids through the Working Joes and compare that to ACM's inclusion of many Lance Henrikson's jus' cause.

Corporal Hicks

While I really disliked Hadley's Hope still standing, I did really dig the chance to explore the Sulaco and liked all the fleshed out areas.

The Cruentus

I know right. The game relied too heavily on homages. I mean the game could have just been done on the sulaco, its a big ship with some narrow hallways, instead you have Hadley Hope still standing, and an a**pull of a storyline with Hicks. I hear stasis interrupted is supposed to be a little better but I never bothered to waste money any further on the game.

The Old One

The Old One

It's not better, it's just a different flavour of bad honestly. The maps in ACM are about as faithful as those in AVP Classic.

Wweyland

I recommend the Aliens: Infestation campaign instead.

SM

Oh, yeah!  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Aliens: Infestation was hella fun! I had such a good time playing that.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 30, 2018, 09:39:16 AM
Aliens: Infestation was hella fun! I had such a good time playing that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed