The Predator @ Comic-Con

Started by ace3g, Jun 20, 2018, 12:17:30 AM

Author
The Predator @ Comic-Con (Read 98,238 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I actually do like the idea of giving the Predator more texture though, the Predator's body was always a little too humanoid below the neck for my tastes. Something like the Genophage would work well for BTS on the Predator's psychology.

But I prefer revealing more about a monster to make it more intimidating, reveals that aren't societal mind you.
More along the lines of the progression of discovering the nature of the Alien, Alex Garland's Annihilation or
John Carpenter's The Thing for instance. 

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Or David Cronenburg's the fly. "Everytime I look in the mirror, every change is more horrifying than the last."

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 21, 2018, 04:57:30 PM
Prefer old school armor any time.

Me also. But I would not care about the chitin skinarmor, if it was not plasma-proof.
I think they f**ked it with that.
Be it bullet-proof, that's okay, but the plasma should break it through.

Still Collating...

Exactly, the plasma-proof skin is so stupid as well as Fugitive not giving a better fight. I have no problem with the idea of the upgrade, but the way they're showing him is to me just a sign of bad writing...

I'll swallow the plasma-proof part because Fugitive has such a mall plasma caster, so maybe it ain't a very powerful one? Still a bad idea.
How do we make this new predator more badass? Make him bigger and buffer! What else can we do? Make him bullet/plasma-proof! What kind of armor will he use? No, he doesn't need armor, his skin will be bullet/plasma-proof!
I mean really, they were smart enough to not make Berserker bullet-proof. This really is stepping on the line of being ridiculous...

To me, the predator was always cool because of his unique combination of hunting culture and interesting technology and armor design. Now, he's Hulk with mandibles, the Upgrade looks a lot more generic, just another big monster. I still do like the design, though a lot less than the other predators.

I have no problem with Upgrade being superior than other preds now. It does make sense to me that some preds would juice up because their egos got hurt. But the way things are getting handled is what worries me. I have 2 problems with how they handled the fight between Upgrade and Fugitive:
1. It is a bit disrespectful to the classic preds if you don't give Fugitive even a chance, just sounds like poor writing.
2. They miss an opportunity for a great fight scene.

I still hope this movie will be good. I mostly hope that they portray Upgrade as an intelligent character and not just as another mindless beast. If they do that, I'm on board with everything else.

Master

Master

I'm  sad they decided to ditch something as  iconic as Predator mask.  We all know they can breathe Earth air, but it was indicated that it was for limited period of time. Besides Upgrade would look much better design wise if he had some gear on him. More Predator less Hulk.

Nathsp

Nathsp

I still dont understand why he doesnt wear any armour, they said he doesnt need it, but armour plus bullet proof skin are better than just bullet proof skin, and it will look better, put also a mask, predator had different vision modes, he cant have all that vision modes with just eyes, they were effective because they can filter what they see.
It would feel more upgrade and less generic cgi moster

azamultic

azamultic

Quote from: Nathsp on Jul 22, 2018, 10:22:03 AM
I still dont understand why he doesnt wear any armour, they said he doesnt need it, but armour plus bullet proof skin are better than just bullet proof skin, and it will look better, put also a mask, predator had different vision modes, he cant have all that vision modes with just eyes, they were effective because they can filter what they see.
It would feel more upgrade and less generic cgi moster

I think from the artistic point they tried to make as much contrast as they can with these predators. I mean the captured one has the full armor almoust covering whole his body and it's slick and nice looking. But this Upgrade looks like the force of nature without any armor and mask. I think it's just for the contrast in story and visuals.

Tetsujin

Tetsujin

PredBabe

PredBabe

"They're wearing fishnets and sandals, they're on vacation."  :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

Looking at the Predator in the thumbnail, and the Upgrade- seems like they're pushing or stylising the Predators in this towards a more crustacean appearance which I really like. 

PredBabe

PredBabe

Yeah, crustacean is a good way to put it, Captured has all those little bumps on his body and is that a bellybutton I see?   ;)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: King geedorah on Jul 21, 2018, 04:58:02 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 21, 2018, 04:09:00 PM
Quote from: King geedorah on Jul 21, 2018, 04:02:08 PM
so the classic-ish predator gets f**ked by the cgi cartoon predator. fantastic they sure do know what the fans want

what exactly am i supposed to be hyped for in this movie? predators hybridizing? cringy shane black jokes? avp references? little kid using predator tech? everything about this reeks of a shitty resident evil movie. this movie has definitely earned the luke warm reception its gotten since the trailer.

Fans often want delusional and stupid stuff for their favorite franchises, sorry but studios are better off without listening to them too much.

Sounds like thats exactly what they did and took ideas from the worst fanfiction they could find, complete with deviantart tier OC predator who so much more "badass" than any other :laugh:

Imagine how much worse it could have been with so called fans having their say in the final product though  :laugh: :laugh:

Tetsujin

Tetsujin

Jake Busey On His Roles In The Predator & Stranger Things Season 3 | SDCC 2018

The Predator Cast On Fist Fighting Predators, Thanos Impressions & More | SDCC 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OeCs5KWhk&t

Actual Hybrid

Actual Hybrid

Brian A. Prince reached for a lemon lime Gatorade, though instead grabbed an Evian.

Sorry, Predator comic con a little boring imho

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Hm. Its ok. I certainly miss the look of the inside of the ship in predator 2. It just seemed so alien. This just seems too AVP to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed