Favourite film: Prometheus or Alien: Covenant

Started by Mala'kak, Feb 08, 2023, 10:35:09 AM

What's your favourite out of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant?

Prometheus
18 (43.9%)
Alien: Covenant
23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Favourite film: Prometheus or Alien: Covenant (Read 12,685 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Yeah that.. ☝😅

Acid_Reign161

One is an Alien movie.

One is a movie set in the Alien Universe.

Covenant is my choice.

PAS Spinelli

The both of them sure are movies

littlesprout

Prometheus

O_Intelligence

Prometheus, although it's agonising to watch or think about, as it's a colossal missed opportunity: Change of tack for the series to delve into the Space Jockey race, themes of creation and (to an extent) AI, teasing on the possible origins of the alien (which I would have preferred as an engineered hybrid of about four horrific natural organisms with each possessing a different characteristic of the Xenomorph product).

Love the ampules and the idea of the black liquid being a combination of the transparent 'DNA-catabolic' liquid we saw in the opening scene and Xenomorph DNA stolen, like fire, by the Engineers from the mysterious true Space Jockey race in some indirect way.  Upon activation, the ample acts as a cocktail mixer, combining these two ingredients similarly to the analogy of David shaking the cocktail mixer earlier.  And the unwitting host being the third 'ingredient' to help produce something resembling a facehugger, or mutate them horrifically, depending on ingestion or bodily exposure.

Would also have liked to have seen David respond to Weyland with a micro-expression of smirk: 'I'm paraphrasing, I'm afraid, Sir; however, roughly-translated, he says his people made you because they could'.

The film feels about half-complete to me with respect to ideas and no fully-clear direction.  Is it good enough to simply *say* 'where we did we come from?', rather than *ask*, as well as provide meaningful thought beyond 'science is what I believe it to be'?.  Not certain.

Necronomicon II

Never thought about the cocktail shaking before, nice connection. I like both and they have many great elements, many not so great, but I'll take Ridley taking big swings over most drek released these days.

aliens13

aliens13

Alien Covenant always. I still can't forget the feeling of deception when I saw Prometheus the first time. Covenant for other hand I really love it. Even the last week I introduced the Alien franchise to my girlfriend, we saw Alien, Aliens and Covenant and she really loved Covenant and Aliens (with Alien she kinda fall asleep)

PsyKore

Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 29, 2023, 04:27:15 AM(with Alien she kinda fall asleep)

I understand this happens with some people, especially nowadays, but it still makes my heart sink... :'(

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: PsyKore on May 24, 2023, 11:15:15 AM
Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 29, 2023, 04:27:15 AM(with Alien she kinda fall asleep)

I understand this happens with some people, especially nowadays, but it still makes my heart sink... :'(

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer on two levels: one, because the pace is just too slow for a lot of people these days; they need their jump-scares and quick cuts. And two, because the film has just been imitated so many times, visually, that everybody's already seen this 'kind' of thing before. So getting to see the Real McCoy is no big deal. Most of modern sci-fi looks like Alien, whereas back in '79, it was all utterly new.

aliens13

Quote from: PsyKore on May 24, 2023, 11:15:15 AM

Me too, specially because Alien for me it's the perfect film and I love it so much that I never felt it slow even when I was a child. But, well... She likes MCU movies so there you go 😅

426Buddy

ALIEN is definitely what I would call a slow burn. I would try to get friends and family to watch it and they would get bored, and that was back in the 90's.

I get it though, if you don't like slow burn flicks then it may not be up your alley. Personally I don't mind if a movie is slow so long as the payoff is worth it.

Stitch

When I saw Alien in the cinema the other day it was with a friend who had never seen it. He said it was good but very slow.

SiL

To be fair there are bits of the movie that are obnoxiously slow. The interminable track through the informary before Ripley talks to Ash has no business being that long.

Mr. Clemens

Respectfully disagree. The feeling of being isolated in that ship is not achieved if we just briskly whiz from event to event.

SiL

Did I say anything about briskly whizzing from event to event?

Overall the slow pace is good. Some sections, small as they may be, don't add anything but runtime.

Cutting the 15s off Ash walking out of the infirmary after talking to Ripley hardly whizzes us anywhere. But it does cut redundant information.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed