Characters of Prometheus

Started by NecronomIV, Jun 30, 2022, 08:47:39 AM

Author
Characters of Prometheus (Read 3,654 times)

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

I'm working on an accessibility project. One component is character description in film, and I'm using Prometheus.

IMDB, Wikipedia, the scripts and this site have some details about the characters, but some are entirely absent (or clearly superseded).

For example: Ravel and Chance are bridge crew. I assume one is pilot, and the other is co-pilot or navigator, but the few resources I have don't specify. Ford is even more undefined.

Are there any resources that can fill in the blanks on some of these?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Alien The Weyland Yutani Report has some stuff, I'll go transcribe it to here later on.

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 30, 2022, 09:49:00 AMAlien The Weyland Yutani Report has some stuff, I'll go transcribe it to here later on.

Wow, that would be very kind of you, and all kinds of amazing. Thank you.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Ravel and Chance, along with Janek, were the most likeable characters IMO.

Kradan

Kradan

I can second that. Felt genuinely sad for them when they crashed that ship into Space Croisant

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 30, 2022, 12:43:37 PMI can second that. Felt genuinely sad for them when they crashed that ship into Space Croisant

I agree. My favourite scene with the med pod.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

SIR PETER WEYLAND, 1990-2093
Unknown to the majority of the ship's crew, Sir Peter was aboard the Prometheus in a specialized medical hypersleep chamber. Believing he had only a short time to live-his age, adjusted after numerous stints in hypersleep, was close to ninety-two-Sir Peter programmed David 8 to wake him if and when Shaw and Holloway's Engineers were found. Sir Peter was killed by an Engineer awakened from stasis on December 26, 2093.

MEREDITH VICKERS, EC/#9549874308. 2057-2093
Sir Peter Weyland's only legitimate child. Studied business management at Oxford; chose to accompany Sir Peter to oversee operations aboard the Prometheus. Ms. Vickers was in line to become CEO of Weyland-Yutani upon the death or resignation of her father. She was personally responsible for selecting the Prometheus crew.

DAVID 8, RELEASED IN JUNE, 2050-(Redacted)
The last AP in the synthetic series personally designed by Sir Peter Weyland. Lacking Asimov safeguards later instituted by synthetic oversight law, David 8 was capable of independently formulating plans in order to attain assigned goals: the David aboard the Prometheus exhibited behaviors that advanced Sir Peter's personal agenda regardless of the outcome for the humans involved.

ELIZABETH SHAW, PH.D. SC.D. 2061-(Redacted)
An accomplished archaeologist and archaeogeneticist, Doctor Shaw's work was compelling enough to draw Sir Peter himself into deep space, ostensibly to meet the Engineers of the human race. Her father, a Christian missionary, instilled in her a deep and abiding faith- a faith certainly tested by her discoveries on LV-223 and, (redacted) later. When given the opportunity to provide the Company with a specimen of alien life gestating inside of her, Shaw instead chose to surgically rid herself of the creature.

CHARLES HOLLOWAY, PH.D. 2058-2093
An American archaeoastronomer who worked closely with Elizabeth Shaw and oversaw four of their successful pictograph excavations. Dr. Holloway's specialty was interpretation of prehistoric hieroglyphs. Before meeting Shaw, Dr. Holloway's career was unremarkable. He was arrested as a protestor when the Nanethe dig was declared nonhistorical in 2079; Holloway, along with seven other archaeology students, chained himself to ground-moving equipment in a vain attempt to preserve the site. Holloway's antiauthoritarian tendencies continued to hinder his career; he was denied tenure at a state university for refusing to follow curriculum guidelines in 2084, and again in 2086.

CAPTAIN IDRIS JANEK, EC/#4861258765,
3-3571. 2051-2093
Ex-military FTL vessel ship's captain. By all accounts, well liked and respected by his crews. Although he scored well on Company evals (contracted loyalty rating in the 600s), Janek's handling of the Prometheus's crew was unacceptably lax. His casual, unauthoritarian manner and self-indulgence undoubtedly encouraged his subordinates to act likewise, resulting in poor decision-making and ultimately contributing to the mission's failure.

PILOT EMUN CHANCE, 4-3857.
2055-2553
FTL-licensed, USAF hero of the conflict at 211 in 2078, honorably discharged 2081. Had worked with Captain Janek for nine years prior to Prometheus mission.

PILOT/NAVIGATOR BENEDICT RAVEL, 4-9864.
2050-2093
FTL-licensed, history in commercial mining/mapping. Worked with Captain Janek for seven years prior to Prometheus mission.

BIOLOGIST RAFE MILLBURN, SB-1402.
2055-2093
Chosen for his exemplary research work in evolutionary biology. Millburn's field experience was quite limited. The scientist's secondary interest in phylogenetics-the study of evolutionary relationships among species-secured his place aboard the Prometheus. When faced with the opportunity to study a new life-form, his lack of practical field experience led directly to his death.

GEOLOGIST SEAN FIFIELD, 56-7820.
2050-2083
A different geologist was originally slated for the mission [. Egger, 56-6257), but circumstances required a last-minute substitution. While infinitely qualified as a geologic modeler, Fifield scared poorly on the Company's Ment/Psych/Cog evaluation; he was described as both difficult and abrasive by coworkers. Meredith Vickers overrode vetting recommendations and hired Fifield four days before the Prometheus was launched on its five- to seven-year mission.

EMT MEDIC KATE FORD, SM-1427. 2049-2093
Decorated for her work with refugees in the United East, and with a background in emergency medicine, Ford applied for the position aboard Prometheus and was directly interviewed by Meredith Vickers. Ford played an integral part in uploading what useful information exists regarding the Engineers.

Additional personnel on board were mercenaries, medical personnel (Sir Peter's personal team), mechanics, and archeological assistants. They included:

Cpl. B. Jackson, Se-7256-security officer, recruited from EU/UK armed forces.

V. Furdik, Se-9281-mercenary, hired as Company installment security during African conflict.

L. Taplow, En-8170-mechanic, responsible for maintenance of ground transport.

R. Sheppard, EnA-2742-mechanic, responsible for maintenance of EVA suits.

J. Wallace, 5A-7625-mechanic.

S. Barnes, EnD-6924-drive engineer and mechanic.

C. Entragian, SM-2618-PA, responsible for Sir Peter's medical care aboard the Prometheus.

TRANSMISSION FROM MEREDITH VICKERS TO PRIVATE RECIPIENT VIA COMNET 12/26/83

Doctor Holloway is dead. He was infected by some alien virus or bacterium and he tried to come back aboard the Prometheus. There was no alternative. I told him to stand down but he kept coming at me, forcing my hand. He begged me to kill him, and he was trying to break quarantine; there was nothing else I could do. No one else supported my decision, but that's why I'm here, isn't it? To make the hard decisions. After a lifetime beyond brilliance, Sir Peter Weyland let the fear of his own mortality take over, to lead him on this fool's errand, and someone had to step up to manage his madness. I deserve better, I've earned better, but no one else was volunteering for the job.

Weyland thinks he's found the cure for death, He's off to meet our makers now, convinced that he hasn't wasted his last days of life reaching for the impossible. No man is immortal, not even him, but he refuses to surrender, his claws are so deeply entrenched. I used to think it was me, that he didn't believe in my abilities. The simpler truth is that he won't let go because he can't. He can't comprehend that his magical, special life is finally nearing its end, that he will cease to exist just like the rest of us.

Did the Engineers create us? Shaw and Hollaway proved a connection, certainly, which I would have bet against. The real question is, though: Does it matter? My father created me: if I was dying. I wouldn't crawl to him, begging for more Life, Like he's crawling now. Weyland is no longer fit to lead the Company, and when he returns from his pointless journey to the Engineers' ship, I will relieve him of his duties. No matter what he finds, it won't be what he wants. It never is.

EXCERPT FROM CAPT. JANEK'S PERSONAL LOG. UPLOADED TO COMNET FROM PROMETHEUS MAINFRAME/AI SYSTEM. 12/26/2893

It's a goddamn weapons depot. I had a bad feeling as soon as I got up and realized we'd lost contact with the scientists. We went out there and found Millburn, what was left of him. Something killed him, and he died hard. Seeing it for myself, I'm convinced-there were thousands of those containers, all leaking black gunk. We set it off somehow, and whatever it is, it's deadly. The Engineers let it get out of hand, and it killed them, simple as that. That explains why it's a ship, not an installation; no way they'd shit in their own backyards. LV-223 is not their home planet, it's an outpost-has to be. Holloway got infected somehow. He was changing into something else, something alien. Vickers torched him to keep him from getting back aboard the Prometheus, but maybe she was too late. We couldn't find Fifield; what might he have turned into? We could all be infected.

The AP says the Engineers were headed to Earth with this toxic shit. Why they wanted to kill us, God knows, but my cakewalk mission has turned into a hell ride. I'm going to talk to Vickers about getting us out now; we've already lost three people, and where the hell is she, anyway? I don't know why we're here, we shouldn't be here. It's a haunted house, this place, and the ghosts have teeth.

COMPANY NOTE: SHORTLY AFTER JANEK'S ENTRY, GEOLOGIST FIFIELD RETURNED TO THE PROMETHEUS AND MURDERED MANY OF THE REMAINING CREW, EXHIBITING EXCEPTIONAL STRENGTH AND AGILITY. CLEARLY, HE HAD BEEN INFECTED BY THE GENETIC ACCELERANT FROM THE ENGINEERS' CRAFT; HIS SKIN SHOWED THE SAME MORPHOLOGICAL CHANGES THAT WERE SEEN ON HOLLOWAY AND ON THE DISEMBODIED HEAD THE SCIENTISTS BROUGHT BACK TO PROMETHEUS. VISIBLE CHANGES WERE AGGRESSIVELY VIRULENT IN ALL CASES. WHY FIFIELD ATTACKED THE CREW IS UNKNOWN.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 30, 2022, 03:21:31 PMShe was personally esponsible for selecting the Prometheus's crew.

;D

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Cleaned up the transcripts. Anyone let me know if they want something more specific. It covers Prometheus/Alien/s/³/Resurrection taking place after the destruction of the USM Auriga.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I never knew how badly I needed something like this until I read the transcription.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 30, 2022, 03:21:31 PMDid the Engineers create us? Shaw and Hollaway proved a connection, certainly, which I would have bet against. The real question is, though: Does it matter? My father created me: if I was dying. I wouldn't crawl to him, begging for more Life, Like he's crawling now. Weyland is no longer fit to lead the Company, and when he returns from his pointless journey to the Engineers' ship, I will relieve him of his duties. No matter what he finds, it won't be what he wants. It never is.

Take that Dr. Shaw!

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 30, 2022, 04:32:28 PMCleaned up the transcripts. Anyone let me know if they want something more specific. It covers Prometheus/Alien/s/³/Resurrection taking place after the destruction of the USM Auriga.

Oh thank you, that's outstanding. Above and beyond any expectations. I'm genuinely humbled by your effort there. I'll post the result of the accessibility project when finished, but that may be a while.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed