Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 272,247 times)

SM

SM

Even less outside DC and Marvel.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 04, 2021, 02:09:21 AM
We will never know but I wonder what the prime DH Aliens runs were like?

I'm still guessing lowish, because again back in the 80's and 90's only nerds read comics openly. 

I was able to find the sales data for Nightmare Asylum issue 1 on Comichron (one of the few sales figures they have for the 80's) and it sold 29,600 units and was the 34th best selling comic for June 1989. I'm guessing that the 180,000 units sold for Book 1 (allegedly from my vague recollection of a foreword) was probably including sales of all 6 issues which would put it at 30,000 per issue. That's about 3x higher than what the more recent DH stories sold.

Edit: I checked April 1993 which was apparently the best selling month for comics in history (followed by a 7 year decline) and Issue 1 of Rogue sold 120,000 units and was the 80th best seller. Colonial Marines issue 4 released the same month to 97,000 units sold making it the 97th bestselling comic. For context Superman sold 3.5 million copies for the top spot that month.

BlueMarsalis79

The price of quality apparently so far anyway for Alien.

SM

SM

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 04, 2021, 03:03:58 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on May 04, 2021, 02:09:21 AM
We will never know but I wonder what the prime DH Aliens runs were like?

I'm still guessing lowish, because again back in the 80's and 90's only nerds read comics openly. 

I was able to find the sales data for Nightmare Asylum issue 1 on Comichron (one of the few sales figures they have for the 80's) and it sold 29,600 units and was the 34th best selling comic for June 1989. I'm guessing that the 180,000 units sold for Book 1 (allegedly from my vague recollection of a foreword) was probably including sales of all 6 issues which would put it at 30,000 per issue. That's about 3x higher than what the more recent DH stories sold.

Edit: I checked April 1993 which was apparently the best selling month for comics in history (followed by a 7 year decline) and Issue 1 of Rogue sold 120,000 units and was the 80th best seller. Colonial Marines issue 4 released the same month to 97,000 units sold making it the 97th bestselling comic. For context Superman sold 3.5 million copies for the top spot that month.

Rogue selling 120,000 is surprisingly huge (though not especially huge considering it was 80th).

SiL

SiL

How well did the first AvP do? Wasn't that the best selling independent comic for a while? (Or at least the year it came out?)

Xiggz456

Unfortunately there's no data for all of 1990 on Comichron so I can't find AVP's numbers. Which makes me wonder where "the best selling independent comic" comes from? I've certainly heard it countless times and never doubted it but I don't think I've ever seen the actual data behind the claim.

Kimarhi

I thought I remember it mentioned in one of the responses to a fan write in in the back of one of the issues.  I'm not sure though.  It almost has to be one of those write in columns because collecting the Aliens comics is all I ever really collected in my lifetime.  Though I did get one or two comic related magazines during that time because the interwebs of yesteryear had not yet become the apex of a information collecting resource as it is now.  So it might have been in one of those. 

I am 100 percent sure that I have seen it in print from something comic related.  I thought they said 100,000 but that might be a little bit low if Nightmare Asylum was already higher.  AvP came out sometime after the first three Alien series if I recall correctly. 

SM

SM

Yeah I'm sure I've seen an interview with someone who would know - Stradley perhaps - who said it was the best-selling indy comic up to that point.

Kimarhi

I think I also remember that a SW series knocked it out. 

Don't I also remember Buffy being the longest running single story western comic of all time as well?

If they could only develop their own properties like they could their licensed ones.   

SM

SM

Hellboy's done pretty well for them.

Xiggz456

Nice! And The trade is up for preorders on Amazon with the title "Alien Vol 1: Bloodlines" which will collect Issues 1-5. Really glad that Marvel went with a five issue series with the 1st issue being longer for the sake of set up and character development (something that was usually lacking in the 4 issue DH runs). Considering Marvel made a cool $1,497,000 off of issue 1 and so far issue 2 is the 14th highest seller of April, it's a guaranteed green light for a follow up arc. Also here's another interview with author PKJ via bloody disgusting:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/interviews/3662868/writer-phillip-kennedy-johnson-marvels-alien-can-expect-new-comics-blood-ink-staples/

Corporal Hicks

I had actually been expecting 6 issues, but 5 is good. It did often feel like Dark Horse runs were an issue too short. Interested to see if it's used to good effect with Marvel. It's also nice to know when to aim for doing a review!  :laugh:

Xiggz456

Ya I too was thinking 6 issues (maybe heard it on one of the interviews). But ya Oct 19th for the trade which already has a rating of 4.6 out of 5 with 120 reviews based only on the first two issues lol.

Voodoo Magic

Clearly Alien fans have precognition powers that are off the chart!  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed