Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,235 times)

AlphaOmega

Bunch of pandering this movie will be.  ::)

BishopShouldGo

Fair point. But it's a very, very, very, very loose "seal of approval". The most diet endorsement I've ever seen. 90% of the endorsement is platitudes, plus one very weak "I enjoyed it" sprinkled on top.

windebieste

"Innovative, amazing and performs Fan Service."  So?  So what..?   

You can say exactly the same thing about all of the 'ALIEN' movies.  Each one of them is 'innovative' and 'amazing' in their own way.  It's the most meaningless phrase ever in the whole History of Meaningless Phrases. lol.

-Windebieste.

marrerom

I'm confident this film isn't going to happen. There has been no movement on the film for a year besides Weaver talking about how great it would be.

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jul 24, 2016, 12:45:00 AM
Hmm Cameron seems to speak favorably regarding this film, then again he did endorse Terminator Genisys  :P

Yeah, at this point James Cameron's endorsement means nothing. He's praised garbage like Genysis and also stated that AvP was better then Alien 3 and A:R.   What wouldn't he endorse?

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 24, 2016, 03:35:33 AM
"Innovative, amazing and performs Fan Service."  So?  So what..?   

You can say exactly the same thing about all of the 'ALIEN' movies.  Each one of them is 'innovative' and 'amazing' in their own way.  It's the most meaningless phrase ever in the whole History of Meaningless Phrases. lol.

-Windebieste.

The key part is that it has everything "that fans want". I wanted WY headquarters. A futuristic Earth. A correct, organic continuation of Aliens' story, just as Aliens continued Alien's story. Big scope, you gotta blow it up a bit each time. You can't go back to self contained.

No one wanted a depressing, violent, gory, hopeless movie. Yuck! Alien 3 makes me want to brush my tongue.

windebieste

Brushing your tongue is good for you.

-Windebieste.

System Apollo

I really want him to tackle AvP after The Predator. But I am not to sure how that will affect his relationship with Cameron and Weaver.

QuoteThe key part is that it has everything "that fans want". I wanted WY headquarters. A futuristic Earth. A correct, organic continuation of Aliens' story, just as Aliens continued Alien's story. Big scope, you gotta blow it up a bit each time. You can't go back to self contained.

And he literally shits on all that with the concept of bringing back geriatric washed up actors to reprise their roles as characters that died in their previous entries..

windebieste

Yeah.  For sure.  Blomkamp's proposal isn't as popular as Weaver and company would have you believe.  These characters are dead.  There's a substantial segment of the Community (about half, actually) that recognises it's necessary to keep it that way. 

Especially in a movie series where one of the prominent themes is 'people are going to die - whether they deserve it or not'.  This proposal completely undoes that core principle.

If you love this series as a whole and appreciate all the characters that have come and gone as a result of their contact with Aliens, you'd understand that.   This series is well beyond just endless re-iterations of Ripley returning eternally. 

You may as well grab those pliers and remove the teeth from Aliens and replace them with rubber dentures for all the good they can do against her at this point.

-Windebieste.

xenoboner

"No one wanted a depressing, violent, gory, hopeless movie." Blanket statement? I wanted that, happy nuclear families in space is antithetical to the Lovecraftian ethos of the universe quite frankly. Now they need not be "happy", sure, there's a way to make it work if the screenplay is intelligent enough to pull it off, but Sigourney has just totally flipped flopped; she had a large say with Ripley's fate in 3, she wanted to "liberate the series" from being beholden to Ripley, then comes along Resurrection and she praises Whedon's script as, quote, "amazing", she got a fat pay check for Resurrection, lest we forget, and no doubt she'll get another one for Alienkamp. She ultimately doesn't really care about broadening the mythos in any substantive way beyond giving Ripley's fate another try, yet I feel Ripley had a fine ending in 3, flawed as 3 was.   
But I guess alternate timelines are inevitable with every long running franchise now it seems, so, so be it.

SiL

Performing fan service is what got us AvPR.

Stick to writing a good story, not jerking off the audience.

genocyber

I refuse to get hyped for this after Prometheus. I just dont want it to be bad.

System Apollo

Quote from: xenoboner on Jul 24, 2016, 05:01:48 AM
Now they need not be "happy", sure, there's a way to make it work if the screenplay is intelligent enough to pull it off, but Sigourney has just totally flipped flopped; she had a large say with Ripley's fate in 3, she wanted to "liberate the series" from being beholden to Ripley, then comes along Resurrection and she praises Whedon's script as, quote, "amazing", she got a fat pay check for Resurrection, lest we forget, and no doubt she'll get another one for Alienkamp.
She is looking for work at a job she leans on when she begins having troubles; similar to how someone returns to a company they don't really care about. It's really unsettling after experiencing this:

Quote from: SiL on Jul 24, 2016, 05:31:43 AM

And to some extent this:

Quote from: genocyber on Jul 24, 2016, 05:55:00 AM
I refuse to get hyped for this after Prometheus. I just dont want it to be bad.

These people know that Alien™ sells itself and exploit it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jul 24, 2016, 05:31:43 AM

Amen. Openly saying your movie will have "fan service" doesn't instill me with confidence.
I'm willing to give Blomkamp the benefit of the doubt up to a point since he's got a proven track record of well made movies that I enjoy, and I think that style of filmmaking could work well with an Alien movie, but none of that has anything to do with "fan service".

Perfect-Organism

This is awesome news!  James Cameron thinks Blomkoamp's script is amazing!!!  That's the biggest endorsement one could receive.  Finally we're going to get the movie that should have been made!  I hope Cameron  is a producer!

Step aside Alien 3!

Tusky

So hopefully this will eventually get made and We will not have to wait 57years.
Bring on an alternative timeline i think it will revitalise the franchise, hell it can not be worse than Resurrection or Requim.

Just make the story organic and not too contrived.
Not sure how they will deal with the passing on time unless they go the same route as the first Darkhorse comic series.

A3 and A4 still exist in the normal timeline so i am happy both ways.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed