ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event

Started by CainsSon, Apr 27, 2016, 05:20:37 AM

Author
ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event (Read 39,764 times)

Stolen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2016, 11:39:10 AM
I wouldn't say that. A lot of people feel very burned by Prometheus and don't want to give Ridley a chance to right his wrongs for fear of another failure.

I understand that, but the film Blomkamp seems even more delusional and harmful to the saga. Imagine if the result is worst than Fincher's Alien ? I really like Alien 3, iseems to me difficult to imagine a better end for Ripley, 'old" Ripley!

And Ridley has created the franchise, he is within his rights to deepen his universe.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 27, 2016, 11:49:13 AM
I wouldn't say that. A lot of people feel very burned by Prometheus and don't want to give Ridley a chance to right his wrongs for fear of another failure.

I understand that, but the film Blomkamp seems even more delusional and harmful to the saga. Imagine if the result is worst than Fincher's Alien ? I really like Alien 3, iseems to me difficult to imagine a better end for Ripley, 'old" Ripley!

And Ridley has created the franchise, he is within his rights to deepen his universe.

He visualisd the Franchise, he didnt create it

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 27, 2016, 11:49:13 AM

I'm not sold on it either. It needs to be better than Alien 3 to really be worth it in my opinion. But as I always do, I remain open minded and willing to see more concrete stuff.

QuoteAnd Ridley has created the franchise, he is within his rights to deepen his universe.

He was one of many men responsible for making Alien what it was.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/alien-5/254909/alien-5-sigourney-weaver-talks-ignoring-later-sequels-alien-covenant

Den of Geek has run an article on the Q&A too.

Quote"When Neill Blomkamp started to talk to me about the sequel to this movie [Aliens], I thought, 'Gosh, that would be so great to know that Ripley has a resting place, eventually.' And wouldn't it be great to end the series on—not that the other two didn't happen but they're in a parallel universe. I love them all [but] the filmmaker has to be inspired by what he is inspired by. And what he grew up with, and I think wore the tapes out of, were Alien 1 and Alien 2 in South Africa."

RakaiThwei

Running parallel to Alien 3?

I like the sound of that already. So we are getting an alternate continuity then?

HuDaFuK

The idea of multiple parallel universes really doesn't gel with the serious tone of the Alien series for me.

It's something best left to Star Trek and superhero comic books and all that other far-fetched, outlandish sci-fi.

Corporal Hicks

As long as they don't acknowledge it in the films, it's not a massive problem.

RakaiThwei

When I get back from my job at Toys R Us, I really want to get into this but the idea we maybe getting an AU or a the least, an alternative continuity has me hopeful. So.. are we getting a legit AU or at least a divergent continuity?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2016, 01:19:08 PMAs long as they don't acknowledge it in the films, it's not a massive problem.

Well if they aren't acknowledging it then it basically becomes fan-fiction, surely? Like I said, it's incredibly unlikely Fox will ever go back to the original universe and do anything more with it once there's been a split.

Corporal Hicks

Depends on how you look at it. He's getting paid to do it for Fox so it's not really fanfiction. People might use the term fanwank but I don't want to judge yet. It's just...an alternate sequel with a new continuity, I guess. Hard to be sure of the implications at this point.

HuDaFuK

Oh, I didn't mean the new film would be fan-fiction. I meant any suggestion that the original third and fourth movies are somehow still happening in a Star Trek-style parallel universe would be.

Beatnation

By far this new concept art don't have the same repercussion of the first one he show on his instagram, we're talking about Weaver interview here, the Newt "concept art" don't even have 40 messages, you guys remember how many messages and attention got the first time Blomhack post the first concept arts from last year?.

This movie is dead until Fox say something official, Weaver trying us to convince this is the "most satisfying" ending, when Alien 3 got the right ending of her run as protagonist.

I think it just fits and makes so much sense thematically for Newt and Hicks to die, even in an unceremonious manner. This is an incredibly dark series about murderous alien rape monsters, why in god's name does anybody think "omgz the cute kid can't die!"

Disney mentality this days...

Perfect-Organism

Great news all around!  Mostly.

Run parallel?  What does that even mean?

marrerom

marrerom

Parallel universes? Is that really the best he could do? ...Well, at least in that scenario Alien 3&4 remain canon.     :-\

Fox, just do the obvious and set Alien 5 after Alien 4 in existing continuity.

Jeanjean

Of course she won't say : "Well you know, the script is not great but, the salary is pretty good, and that won't be too exhausting at least."

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 27, 2016, 05:46:11 AM
Weaver, like Scott are both excellent corporate team players. I read it as nothing more than doing their part to sell the idea that this movie has potential but I doubt anything has really gotten off of the ground yet. If Covenant does well; then they'll move on this.

I think that including the Alien in Covenant, all but guarantees it's ticket sales. I hope the idea isn't to see whether the success of COVENANT could sway audience interest in a sequel with Sigourney in favor of the sequel to COVENANT.

I'm thinking that will never be the case, but maybe I'm just too big of a RIPLEY fan. Based on the audience last night, you'd think the whole world wants this and nothing else. Maybe FOX is being smart finally, and is thinking long term by writing the films with follow-ups in mind.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed