Prometheus vehicles exposed

Started by Valaquen, Aug 28, 2011, 08:22:11 AM

Author
Prometheus vehicles exposed (Read 61,873 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Gash on Aug 31, 2011, 08:20:37 PM
Titanic is a horribly shallow (if pretty) remake of A Night to Remember

How can something based on true events be a remake? You know that this was actually story based on real events and it wasnt invented or written in 1958? And shallow? The action starts halfway through the movie and doesnt let go until the end. Hour and a half of constant Cameronesque tense action with giant special effects, and the first half of a movie is pretty much an old school love fairy tale. It nails that

But anyway, can we all go back to the subject at hand and discuss the vehicles of Prometheus? For example, what do you think they are for? Where re the characters gonna travel? Etc

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteThe dialogue is universally awful
I guess that's why it's so universally quotable and a part of the pop-culture zeitgeist, right?

There's a reason why people can quote 'Aliens' left and right, it's because it's well-written dialogue.

Quoteexcessively wasteful - which surprises me as he came from the Roger Corman school where making the best of what you've got was a necessity
I'm not sure how you can say this. 'Aliens' had a really small budget, and he made a massive swarm of Aliens by using 6 people in suits and creative editing. 'The Terminator' was barely completed because he ran out of money. The shot of the Terminator getting its head crushed in the press is literally spraypainted foam, tinfoil, a christmas light, and Stan Winston blowing cigarette smoke.

Quotei guess it's dangerous to suggest that Prometheus is going to be the best sci-fi film since Blade Runner
There have been plenty of great sci-fi movies since Blade Runner, most recently 'District 9'. Hell, 3 of the great sci-fi movies since Blade Runner were directed by James Cameron. :P (Aliens, Terminator, T2)

I'm not even sure why we're discussing Cameron here - the point is that saying "It's Ridley Scott, of COURSE it's going to be good!" is a statement that should give people pause.

Valaquen

Valaquen

True Lies is substandard Bond with uncomfortable jingoism thrown in.
It was meant to be Bond-ish [it's a remake of a french movie] don't know about jingoism, the guy's Canadian. It's more of a piss-take comedy. Every other Cameron film has been deeply anti-authoritarian; the cops or military are normally useless or nasty [the cops are useless in Terminator, the Company is bad in Aliens -obviously ported from Alien- the military are the bad guys in The Abyss, there's an ex-cop bad guy in Titanic, Avatar wears its anti-militarism on its sleeve, and even his non-directorial films like Strange Days and Point Break are anti-authority.] True Lies really is an anomaly in his canon - it was his first movie until Avatar where the hero kills other humans, until Avatar.

It's not your bag, that's cool man  8)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 31, 2011, 08:28:38 PM
Titanic is a horribly shallow (if pretty) remake of A Night to Remember

How can something based on true events be a remake? You know that this was actually story based on real events and it wasnt invented or written in 1958? And shallow? The action starts halfway through the movie and doesnt let go until the end. Hour and a half of constant Cameronesque tense action with giant special effects, and the first half of a movie is pretty much an old school love fairy tale. It nails that

Yes, I do know that.

Shallow, because a ship of 3000 people was reduced to a love story where everything else was merely spectacle. No sense of of the tragedy that Roy Ward Baker managed to convey, but lots of attempts to emulate similar set pieces clearly based on the visual set ups of A Night to Remember rather than the written records of Walter Lord.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

It wasnt a documentary or a miniseries to follow historical characters. It would completely erase any room for new and fictional story and characters, not to mention all the action scenes and situations which were related to it. Most tense moments are the shootout chase and Rose trying to find and free Jack from the arrest during sinking. Plus those characters stayed for entire tragedy, so through dying freezing and abandoned people in the water after the sinking too. If going with original characters, who would the movie follow. The chinese man? Or should it end with real characters just going into boat and being safe for entire sinking? Cmon. A good writer thinks about stuff like that and makes decision that benefit his story most

But again, this is a thread about vehicles in Prometheus, not another Gash bashing Cameron fest

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 31, 2011, 08:32:09 PM
I guess that's why it's so universally quotable and a part of the pop-culture zeitgeist, right?

I guess. I'm not a teenager; little interest in pop culture zeitgeist. Sounds like shite to me.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 31, 2011, 08:32:09 PMThere's a reason why people can quote 'Aliens' left and right, it's because it's well-written dialogue.

Er, it might be quotable for some.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 31, 2011, 08:32:09 PMnot sure how you can say this. 'Aliens' had a really small budget, and he made a massive swarm of Aliens by using 6 people in suits and creative editing. 'The Terminator' was barely completed because he ran out of money. The shot of the Terminator getting its head crushed in the press is literally spraypainted foam, tinfoil, a christmas light, and Stan Winston blowing cigarette smoke.

I'm talking about after Cameron became a much heralded director - the Abyss onwards. If he'd stuck to making the best of a limited budget I'd rate him higher as a director.

Quotei guess it's dangerous to suggest that Prometheus is going to be the best sci-fi film since Blade Runner
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 31, 2011, 08:32:09 PMhave been plenty of great sci-fi movies since Blade Runner, most recently 'District 9'. Hell, 3 of the great sci-fi movies since Blade Runner were directed by James Cameron.  :'( (Aliens, Terminator, T2)

District 9 was ok, but I'd steer clear of labelling it a classic. Moon perhaps. Can't currently think of anything else.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 31, 2011, 08:56:37 PM
But again, this is a thread about vehicles in Prometheus, not another Gash bashing Cameron fest

I've actually attempted to point out where I consider his strengths to be to give some balance. Just as I have pointed out Ridley's lower points. There was a suggestion that Cameron was going to write and Scott to direct, I'm glad that didn't happen - I don't think that works to his strengths - although some would obviously disagree. If Cameron was working with Scott on new technological advances I think that would be great.

But then I'm pleased to see that Ridley is not relaying on green screen, he's a more traditional 'in camera' director, thus Sci fi in his hands has the opportunity to look realistic in a genre where reality has been swamped in digital animation. It's great to see built props (including vehicles, even if they might only be background detail like in  A  L  I  E  N ).

Actually where's that Bishop thread, I'll go bash the Bishop instead.   ;)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Gash on Aug 31, 2011, 09:09:15 PM

But then I'm pleased to see that Ridley is not relaying on green screen, he's a more traditional 'in camera' director, thus Sci fi in his hands has the opportunity to look realistic in a genre where reality has been swamped in digital animation.

Im pleased with it myself. Next to Scott being attached to the project this is Prometheus' biggest appeal to me right now. Only time CGI ever really worked throughout entire movie was T2, Jurassic Park and Avatar

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteI guess. I'm not a teenager; little interest in pop culture zeitgeist. Sounds like shite to me.
You don't have to be a teenager. Even for people who were teenagers when the movies came out, they came out decades ago so they're not teenagers anymore and yet the movies are still quotable.

QuoteEr, it might be quotable for some.
AFI top 100 movie quotes of all time. There's 3 quotes from Cameron movies on that list, 0 from Ridley Scott movies.

QuoteIf he'd stuck to making the best of a limited budget I'd rate him higher as a director.
But that shouldn't matter - a good movie is still a good movie, whether you're making it for $10mil or $100mil. ???

QuoteOnly time CGI ever really worked throughout entire movie was T2, Jurassic Park and Avatar
I disagree on that, I can name plenty of other movies where the CGI worked consistently. Independence Day, District 9, all three Transformers movies (say what you will about the writing, the CGI was fantastic). Jurassic Park and T2 really are high marks, but to say they're the only movies where the CGI "worked" seems silly to me.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 31, 2011, 10:03:51 PM
AFI top 100 movie quotes of all time. There's 3 quotes from Cameron movies on that list, 0 from Ridley Scott movies.

And this is a negative point?

Writing isn't purely about dialogue or quotable text. Writing in a script can be about what's left unsaid and implied. I think you're taking the term 'writing' too literally. Quotable text doesn't convince me that a film is necessarily brilliantly written. That's just bizarre.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Gash on Aug 31, 2011, 09:09:15 PM
But then I'm pleased to see that Ridley is not relaying on green screen, he's a more traditional 'in camera' director, thus Sci fi in his hands has the opportunity to look realistic in a genre where reality has been swamped in digital animation. It's great to see built props (including vehicles, even if they might only be background detail like in  A  L  I  E  N ).
This is the most reassuring thing about Prometheus; Ridley isn't going ape [can I namedrop Lucas in here, considering today's events?] with CGI, he's doing it all in-camera, on location. Awesome, I can't wait to see these sets. And in a way, Cameron and Scott are collaborating on Prom - Cameron told him to try the Fusion cams that JC midwifed, and Scott loves 'em. Can't wait to see it on screen myself  8)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Gash on Aug 31, 2011, 10:23:28 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 31, 2011, 10:03:51 PM

And this is a negative point?

Writing isn't purely about dialogue or quotable text. Writing in a script can be about what's left unsaid and implied. I think you're taking the term 'writing' too literally. Quotable text doesn't convince me that a film is necessarily brilliantly written. That's just bizarre.
No, you said it "might be quotable for some", I'm pointing out that that "some" is the American Film Institute. It's not just teenagers or whatever who find the dialogue in his films memorable, it's everybody. :P

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

COOL VEHICLES. I THINK THEY'LL LOOK GOOD IN THE MOVIE. HOW 'BOUT THAT LOGO ON THE SIDE OF IT, HUH?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Aug 31, 2011, 11:24:05 PM
COOL VEHICLES. I THINK THEY'LL LOOK GOOD IN THE MOVIE. HOW 'BOUT THAT LOGO ON THE SIDE OF IT, HUH?
Uh, what? How about you stay on topic for a change? This thread is about quot ... .... ... ohh.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 31, 2011, 11:19:58 PM
No, you said it "might be quotable for some", I'm pointing out that that "some" is the American Film Institute. It's not just teenagers or whatever who find the dialogue in his films memorable, it's everybody. :P

What? Everybody belongs to the American Film institute? 'Some' is a  more accurate summation of who could quote lines from any film. The BFI list would be significantly different for starters.

All those lists are subjective: I'd say 'Tears in the rain' is more quotable than 'Show me the money' or 'Life was like a box of chocolates' or 'Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth' or 'my precious'.

But who reviews the quality of scripts by the number of quotable lines anyway?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed