Alien Quadrilogy VS Alien Anthology blu ray sets

Started by zipfunk, Oct 29, 2018, 02:19:26 PM

Author
Alien Quadrilogy VS Alien Anthology blu ray sets (Read 13,101 times)

zipfunk

Hi Guys,

I've searched everywhere for a clear answer on this and stumbled on this forum. I'm hoping someone here can help.
I own the Alien Anthology Blu Ray set and love the special etc.

Is there anything different in the Alien Quadrilogy set as far as special features go?
Or is the Anthology just the Quadrilogy renamed?

Drew

The Old One

The Old One

No.

Alien Anthology is the superior version Quadrilogy.

SM

Anthology has more material (maybe a couple of hours worth) and better quality films.

Corporal Hicks

I still think the restoration job (colour changes between the various editions ignored) on Alien is just f**king amazing. It looks like a brand new film.

Elmazalman

The 2003 ALIEN QUADRILOGY DVD box set did include an outtake from an alternate version of Brett's death that wasn't carried over to the 2010 ANTHOLOGY Blu-ray set.

This outtake can be found within the "French Twist" featurette - part of the making-of documentary for ALIEN: RESURRECTION.

Some screenshots:

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 30, 2018, 08:45:47 AM
I still think the restoration job (colour changes between the various editions ignored) on Alien is just f**king amazing. It looks like a brand new film.
Ditto on 'Aliens'.

Corporal Hicks

I never thought Aliens was as good as Alien.

Xenomrph

IMO the color-timing change for 'Aliens' was pretty fantastic.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: zipfunk on Oct 29, 2018, 02:19:26 PMIs there anything different in the Alien Quadrilogy set as far as special features go?

The Anthology has considerably more content than the Quadrilogy, and everything from the Quadrilogy is in there.

The only thing I know of that's missing from the Anthology is an alternate audio track for Alien, but that wasn't in the Quadrilogy either. It's only ever been released on the Alien Legacy box set.

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 30, 2018, 11:18:18 AMThe 2003 ALIEN QUADRILOGY DVD box set did include an outtake from an alternate version of Brett's death that wasn't carried over to the 2010 ANTHOLOGY Blu-ray set.

This outtake can be found within the "French Twist" featurette - part of the making-of documentary for ALIEN: RESURRECTION.

Should that not still be part of the One Step Beyond documentary in the Anthology? The French Twist chapter is in there. I can't see them editing it for the Blu-ray.

Stitch

I might be mistaken on this, but I believe the Blu Ray has the full version of Wreckage & Rage (the making of Alien 3), but the DVD has a cut down version.

Valaquen

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2019, 02:37:13 PM
The only thing I know of that's missing from the Anthology is an alternate audio track for Alien, but that wasn't in the Quadrilogy either. It's only ever been released on the Alien Legacy box set.

Is the original ALIEN screenplay with O'Bannon's essay still on the Anthology too?

Elmazalman

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2019, 02:37:13 PM
Quote from: zipfunk on Oct 29, 2018, 02:19:26 PMIs there anything different in the Alien Quadrilogy set as far as special features go?

The Anthology has considerably more content than the Quadrilogy, and everything from the Quadrilogy is in there.

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 30, 2018, 11:18:18 AMThe 2003 ALIEN QUADRILOGY DVD box set did include an outtake from an alternate version of Brett's death that wasn't carried over to the 2010 ANTHOLOGY Blu-ray set.

Should that not still be part of the One Step Beyond documentary in the Anthology? The French Twist chapter is in there. I can't see them editing it for the Blu-ray.
The outtake (screenshots in my previous post) is not part of the Anthology set. The outtake has been replaced by the DC version for Brett's death.

If you still own the Quadrilogy set, I suggest you hang on to it, to collect all the ALIEN outtakes.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Stitch on Feb 23, 2019, 03:25:25 PMI might be mistaken on this, but I believe the Blu Ray has the full version of Wreckage & Rage (the making of Alien 3), but the DVD has a cut down version.

Correct. Fox censored it for its original DVD release, but relented for the Blu-ray set.

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 23, 2019, 04:45:24 PMIs the original ALIEN screenplay with O'Bannon's essay still on the Anthology too?

The screenplay's listed on there. I've not actually checked it to see if it's the same as it was on the Quadrilogy though.

Quote from: Elmazalman on Feb 24, 2019, 12:44:00 AMThe outtake (screenshots in my previous post) is not part of the Anthology set. The outtake has been replaced by the DC version for Brett's death.

Interesting. It's been so long since I watched it on DVD I didn't notice that.

The Old One

The Old One

Weird.

The Old One

The Old One

But I'm glad we eventually got the full version.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed