Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating)

Started by JaaayDee, May 28, 2012, 02:22:15 PM

Author
Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating) (Read 204,922 times)

Gazz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 07, 2012, 06:34:02 PM
The vast majority of comments in all those AICN articles about 'Prometheus' seem to be either registering as average or negative. They're providing spoiler details, too, which heavily suggests they're being honest about having seen it.

Or they could simply be reacting to information about the film without ever having seen it... y'know, like a good few people here.  :P

Salt The Fries

The New York Times
A.O. Scott
Jun 7, 2012
70/100
The virtuosity on display makes the weakness of the story all the more frustrating. I'll avoid spoilers here, but Prometheus kind of spoils itself with twists and reversals that pull the movie away from its lofty, mind-blowing potential.

^ Could it be representative of general consensus?

SpeedyMaxx

RagingDragon

Quote from: Gazz on Jun 07, 2012, 09:15:09 PM
Or they could simply be reacting to information about the film without ever having seen it... y'know, like a good few people here.  :P

Wow you guys are right, everyone who rightly criticizes this obviously flawed film are all part of a sinister plot to smear the movie for no reason, and everyone who has an opinion before seeing the film is immediately invalid.  Better continue trying to discredit them, you've only got about another 24-48 hours of this before nearly everyone's seen the film, and this carefully arranged bullshit blows up in your faces.

;)

I'm so excited.  Who wants to take bets on how long the crying and discrediting will continue, even after almost everyone's seen the thing?  My bet is the bullshit parade will shift from "you haven't even seen it yourself, must be a troll" to "you've only seen it once, you're opinion doesn't count."

:laugh:  You apologists really are an embarrassing lot.  Worse then the people bitching about the film by far.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I don't see why this all has to be so terribly personal or vitriolic for either side.  It's not like any of us sank piles of money into making the thing.

The fact is many of us have not actually seen it.  What I have seen I like, and I've allowed for its flaws and potential disappointments - but the trending of the overall reviews seems to point to a flawed but engaging, exciting and thought-provoking movie.  Which is, as I've said before, what I expected all along.  I have watched the AICN talkback for many, many years - there are some European viewers in there, plenty legit ones, but there's also a lot of bandwagoning and bird-dogging, like there is for every single film that site covers.  It's the geekcore mentality, that's how it's always worked at AICN.  For example, if Spider-Man's suit is even slightly different or if The Amazing Spider-Man chooses to follow the Ultimate Comics continuity, then it's obviously a desperate cash grab based on a Chris Nolan ripoff mentality and will flop horribly, everybody pile on - then they all get to act shocked when it ends up a box office smash.  Same thing happened with Avatar, for that matter.  You'll find enough cross-sections of people there to love or hate anything.  At those sites, some people have a congenital, desperate need to be first on the scene, declaring a disaster, posturing to look cool.  Not everyone, but some.  Good or bad, Prometheus is just another potential target.

Clearly all the professional reviewers responsible for that curve are not just apologists who have assembled a carefully thought-out line of bullshit.  Maybe they just...feel that way.  It's not all a calculation on a fanbase message board.  Sometimes different people just like different movies.

Cvalda

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 07, 2012, 09:47:31 PM
:laugh:  You apologists really are an embarrassing lot.  Worse then the people bitching about the film by far.
I'd post my "apologists gonna apologize" Paint pic, but then they'd get upset over spoilers :P ;D

Gazz

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 07, 2012, 09:47:31 PM
Quote from: Gazz on Jun 07, 2012, 09:15:09 PM

Wow you guys are right, everyone who rightly criticizes this obviously flawed film are all part of a sinister plot to smear the movie for no reason, and everyone who has an opinion before seeing the film is immediately invalid.  Better continue trying to discredit them, you've only got about another 24-48 hours of this before nearly everyone's seen the film, and this carefully arranged bullshit blows up in your faces.

;)

I'm so excited.  Who wants to take bets on how long the crying and discrediting will continue, even after almost everyone's seen the thing?  My bet is the bullshit parade will shift from "you haven't even seen it yourself, must be a troll" to "you've only seen it once, you're opinion doesn't count."

My little line made you write all that? And to think i actually took note not to mention any negative or positive camp in the slightest (people are guilty of both from this forum without seeing the film).  :D

Still, you call the fans apologists and the fans call it's critics haters. Bad as each other in my eyes and I'm just not interested. Next.

PROM3TH3US

PROM3TH3US

The DC for the Blu-ray is going to be freaking awesome.  It's totally confirmed it was cut down to get this soft R rated.   Will be seeing it this Saturday in BIG FAT IMAX 3D!!

Roger Ebert 4/4

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120606/REVIEWS/120609989

Ooze on First

There are enough reviews in at Rotten Tomatoes so that Prometheus is now certified 'Fresh'.
The critics are about 3-to-1 in the positive.

The 'Avg Joe' moviegoers on various sites are rating it about 4-to-1 positive.
Looking good either way.

ThisBethesdaSea

I think the consensus is pretty clear. 3.2 hours and counting!!!!

Prime113

Damn, I was hoping it would stabilize at about 75%-76%, but it looks like it'll drop to about 70-71%% before the weekends over.

ThisBethesdaSea

It won't drop. Consensus has been reached. 73 percent.

Prime113

But, it was 75% percent when I first seen it certified fresh with a consensus. The percentage can raise or drop, but the consensus will remain the same.

ThisBethesdaSea

Oh oh, d'uh...I meant...that it would remain fresh...whoops. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed