Cameron on Alien Covenant

Started by 0321recon, Aug 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Author
Cameron on Alien Covenant (Read 59,768 times)

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

Except that Aliens was styled after Alien, and a bit of Blade Runner.

It's clear to see that Scott was greatly influenced by Kubrick. It's also clear to see Cameron was greatly influenced by Scott.

SM

SM

The 'used universe' look of the colony was down to Cobb, who also did the Nostromo and owes debts to Star Wars and Dark Star.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Having just read the last 10-or-so pages of this thread, I feel the need to jump in and say that people accusing Cameron of telling simplistic stories probably shouldn't be pointing to Gladiator as 'what a movie oughta be'...  :D

Hamster1066

Hamster1066

Gladiator was certainly more of a risk than Terminator 2. Cameron was already famous for expensive epic (bloat) and state of the art special FX thanks to The Abyss. Arnie was at the height of his popularity. The Terminator had been rediscovered and re-evaluated in the wake of Aliens. It could be considered a risk because of it's expense but it had a lot going for it.

Sword and sandal epics had been out of fashion for more than thirty years and Crowe was only really known for a supporting role in LA Confidential IIRC.

Personally I find the story in Gladiator a lot less simplistic than the framing fantasy fitted around Titanic. Titanic is full of faults, but it has spectacle. Likewise with Avatar. Gladiator also has spectacle but as a revenge story with interesting motivated characters it is pitch perfect. I guess it is all down to personal taste.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Hamster1066 on Aug 27, 2017, 08:12:26 PM
Gladiator was certainly more of a risk that T2. Cameron was already famous for expensive epic (bloat) and state of the art special FX thanks to The Abyss. Arnie was at the height of his popularity. The Terminator had been rediscovered and re-evaluated in the wake of Aliens. It could be considered a risk because of it's expense but it had a lot going for it.

Sword and sandal epics had been out of fashion for more than thirty years and Crowe was only really known for a supporting role a LA Confidential IIRC.

Personally I find the story in Gladiator a lot less simplistic than the framing fantasy fitted around Titanic. Titanic is full of faults, but it has spectacle. Likewise with Avatar. Gladiator also has spectacle but as a revenge story with interesting motivated characters it is pitch perfect. I guess it is all down to personal taste.

I agree 100%.

But like you said, it is all down to personal taste.

I love GLADIATOR and THE MARTIAN. I hate Titanic and Avatar.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Hamster1066 on Aug 27, 2017, 08:12:26 PM
Gladiator was certainly more of a risk that T2. Cameron was already famous for expensive epic (bloat) and state of the art special FX thanks to The Abyss. Arnie was at the height of his popularity. The Terminator had been rediscovered and re-evaluated in the wake of Aliens. It could be considered a risk because of it's expense but it had a lot going for it.

Sword and sandal epics had been out of fashion for more than thirty years and Crowe was only really known for a supporting role in LA Confidential IIRC.

Yeah I agree with you. Gladiator is a simple story when you break it down but the characters and motivations elevate it far above a simple revenge tale.

And it was definatley regarded as a huge risk at the time.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Just saw T2 3D last night. Very enjoyable. I'd forgotten what a thoroughly entertaining film it is. Big audience genuinely laughed in all the right places, too. I think Cameron's made some digital tweaks (a la Aliens) for this version: I recall the driver in some of the bike stunts looking not terribly like Arnold, and that's changed. I also recall the composite shot of Arnold rolling toward the camera away from the crashing cryo truck looking pretty dodgy, but it's much more seamless now.

Anyway, highly recommended, and I can't wait to buy it on blu-ray. I hope Cameron gets to give Aliens the 3D treatment - that shot of Gateway Station would be glorious.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed