Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening

Started by Stolen, Apr 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening (Read 58,202 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: stroggificated on May 05, 2017, 09:38:45 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder550/21963550.jpg

What's next? Hot snow rises up? Dogs start to fly:o

*Gives a dog Red Bull*

Just need hot snow now.. :laugh:

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Alienguy on May 01, 2017, 09:41:29 AM
I really want this Alien 5 a lot more as any "Pseudo Alien movie" that Scott ever will release.Fox is so stupid..a Alien 5 with Ripley,Hicks and the other stuff would be a blockbuster...

OK, the argument is mixing what some fans want; (not a "Pseudo Alien movie"), with what the studio wants. 
And the argument then moves to money, (the goal of the studio) and that Alien 5 (with Blomkamp) will make big box office.
- The evidence for this is that Alien franchise nostalgia (Ripley/Hicks) is somehow comparable to Star Wars nostalgia (cute robots, Leia/Solo)?

Quote from: Alienguy on May 01, 2017, 09:41:29 AM
Look at Star Wars...Retro with new elements is the way to go!;-)

* Imo. The studio investing millions of dollars on some vague Alien nostalgia connection is not a safe bet.
- Ripley/Sigourney was in "Alien 3" and "Ressurection" which had poor financial performance.
There is no evidence that the mere appearance of Ripley would lead to "Alien", "Aliens" or even "Prometheus" box office results.
- And Hicks? I think he's dead. So is Newt.

* Why should the Fox studio risk funding a multimillion $ Alien film by Blomkamp?
- "District 9" (2009) was a big financial success due to the modest budget ($30 million) but Blomkamp can't figure out how to do a sequel.
(Double the budget to see the box office needed to pay for production costs. This estimate does not include marketing costs.)
- "Elysium" (2013) was a modest success with $286,140,700 worldwide box office and a $115 million budget.
- 'Chappie" (2015) probably just broke even after video sales. $102,069,268 worldwide box office with a $49 million budget.
- Financially each Blomkamp science fiction movie is doing worse.
He is a risky choice imo.

* Instead Fox sees that Ridley Scott has had two recent science fiction box office hits. And one was with an Alien franchise movie.
- "Prometheus" had $403,354,469 worldwide box office with a $130 million budget. This did much better financially than "Elysium".   
- "The Martian"; $630,161,890 worldwide box office and a $108 million budget.     
Scott's last SF movie was a blockbuster. "The Martian" numbers are in the range of "Interstellar" and any director who can be in the conversation with Christopher Nolan is going to be the safer bet.

* For the studio Scott is clearly the better choice over Blomkamp.

;)

SpreadEagleBeagle

I'm so glad that Ridley Scott came to save the day. Let's hope that A:C makes enough money to ensure at least two more sequels. A5 was just a rank fan-fiction attempt going way too far, at least in my eyes. The whole idea of a retcon to bring back Hicks, Newt and Ripley as if it was 1992, just seemed so desperate and unimaginative. I'm happy that Ridley put an end to that nonsense, at least for now.

However, I'm sure that at some point down the line we will have a retcon, and then a reboot and then a remake... But for now we're safe  ;)

But I get it - for many people ALIENS is the best thing since sliced bread, and it's alluring mix of sic-fi and action combined with simplistic but highly likable characters and amazing special effects and pacing, just demands a sequel with more of the same. What I don't get is why we need Ripley, Hicks and Newt to get all of that.

windebieste

Coz at 70, Weaver sees a phat paycheck to wind out her career on and say "Adios, Fanbois.  We all got we came here for.  Now, shut up and be happy!" 

That's why.

-Windebieste.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: windebieste on May 08, 2017, 06:01:31 AM
Coz at 70, Weaver sees a phat paycheck to wind out her career on and say "Adios, Fanbois.  We all got we came here for.  Now, shut up and be happy!" 

That's why.

-Windebieste.

Oh, I get that way too well. I was referring to a certain portion of sic-fi action junkies and Alien(s) fans being stuck on Hicks and Newt.

SM

'Cos they liked those characters.

windebieste

Everyone liked those characters. 

-Windebieste.

Acheron426

No one wants another Ridley film and no one wants a Blomkamp Aliens. Well I sure don't after all his political messages in his previous rubbish movies. I was never a fan of them. Only the original trilogy is real. The rest of this stuff since Alien 3 is just cheap add ons.

Citadel

Definitely not happening.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Citadel on May 08, 2017, 06:02:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo30bZc10D0

"Definitely not happening" *Ridley Scott thumbs up*

Perfect post.  :laugh:

Citadel

Quote from: The Alien Predator on May 08, 2017, 06:49:13 PM

You know it makes sense. ;)

Z-101

Quote from: Citadel on May 08, 2017, 07:27:16 PM

Many things can happen.  If Ridley has a heart attack or just ceases to be a viable asset Fox may not see things his way...its still in the cards

windebieste

Dream on.  In your cryotube.  Snuggled up to Ripley's breast.  Dream on...

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Z-101 on May 10, 2017, 01:25:58 AM

Many things can happen.  If Ridley has a heart attack or just ceases to be a viable asset Fox may not see things his way...its still in the cards

You better be a child.

Z-101

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 10, 2017, 02:19:27 AM
Quote from: Z-101 on May 10, 2017, 01:25:58 AM

You better be a child.

and your condescension is evidence of someone who never actually grew up but very much likes to look in the mirror and think they have...and yes I am a child.  a 34 year old man child- who likes to laugh at pathetic online attempts to reinforce weak malformed egos.  Its called being diplomatic-might wanna try it sometime your Lordship.

Quote from: windebieste on May 10, 2017, 02:09:35 AM
Dream on.  In your cryotube.  Snuggled up to Ripley's breast.  Dream on...

-Windebieste.

I will. thanks for so generously giving me permission to do so...What I said stands.  Ridley Scott is not the Supreme Godhead of the Alien universe, and his word is not the bottom line.  I'm not saying Alien 5 is a shoe-in just that there are many things that contribute to a studio's willingness or unwillingness to make a movie and that just because Ridley Scott says so doesn't mean his word is gospel.  Chances are Alien 5 will happen...eventually. Maybe not helmed by Blomkamp.  Maybe not with Weaver and Biehn from the shoulders down.  But Rogue One has shown us that hollywood has no qualms about bringing back dead actors to star in movies, so the age of the actors no longer matters and as time goes on if the demand is high many things can be engineered that were once thought impossible...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed