Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening

Started by Stolen, Apr 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening (Read 59,117 times)

echobbase79

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 30, 2017, 04:34:55 PM
I really don't want Blomkamp touching either version of Ripley.

Out of curiosity, why not?

I really enjoyed District 9 and I thought Chappie was a decent effort. I haven't seen Elysium yet.

SpeedyMaxx

He needs several Martians.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 30, 2017, 04:14:19 PM
Give Blomkamp another flop or two and he will welcome a shot at AVP. I frankly think it's the only subfranchise he is potentially really suited for, and he's just talented enough to actually class it up and make something half-decent of it. And for the record, I hate the AVP movies.

To date none of Blomkamp's films have "flopped" as you so naively put it. And he has already stated that he is NOT INTERESTED in making a AvP film.

Ingwar

Chappie was a flop. Maybe not a big one but a flop which doesn't really matter because Scott and other great directors also mad movies that were box office bombs. Life.

Xenomorphine

Give Blomkamp another flop or two and he will welcome a shot at AVP. I frankly think it's the only subfranchise he is potentially really suited for, and he's just talented enough to actually class it up and make something half-decent of it. And for the record, I hate the AVP movies.

He's said 'Alien' is his favourite of the series, declared that 'Alien Isolation' has directly influenced the presentation style he would adopt and repeatedly given emphasis to a need to return to Giger's biomechamical aesthetics and themes of subversive psychosexuality.

To me, that makes him a prime candidate for at least in-depth consideration. I haven't seen any other known choices for the sequel who have aired those views.

Quote from: echobbase79 on Apr 30, 2017, 04:26:51 PM
Maybe Blomkamp can come up with story that continues from Resurrection? One direction I think would be interesting to explore would be how Ripley 8 has been affected by the Alien dna? Has she morphed into an alien?

The guy's original idea did take account of the third film (and presumably fourth, too). It was Sigourney Weaver who convinced him to change it and we know that she doesn't want to reprise the clone.

All these aspects are not to do with Blomkamp, but Weaver.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 30, 2017, 07:12:27 PM
Chappie was a flop. Maybe not a big one but a flop which doesn't really matter because Scott and other great directors also mad movies that were box office bombs. Life.

It made back it's production budget at the box office. BD/DVD sales would have pushed it into profit. But yeah, Scott and many other A-list directors have made genuine bombs but they know how to deal with it and bounce back. Fox wouldn't have given Blomkamp a very hot property in lieu of Alien 5 if they thought he was a hack.

I don't know why everyone expects Blomkamp to make a D9 level film with each movie he makes or Scott an Alien level film with each movie he makes. Sometimes a film works, sometimes it doesn't. Like you say, that's life.

echobbase79

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 30, 2017, 07:29:45 PM

He's said 'Alien' is his favourite of the series, declared that 'Alien Isolation' has directly influenced the presentation style he would adopt and repeatedly given emphasis to a need to return to Giger's biomechamical aesthetics and themes of subversive psychosexuality.

To me, that makes him a prime candidate for at least in-depth consideration. I haven't seen any other known choices for the sequel who have aired those views.

Quote from: echobbase79 on Apr 30, 2017, 04:26:51 PM
Maybe Blomkamp can come up with story that continues from Resurrection? One direction I think would be interesting to explore would be how Ripley 8 has been affected by the Alien dna? Has she morphed into an alien?

The guy's original idea did take account of the third film (and presumably fourth, too). It was Sigourney Weaver who convinced him to change it and we know that she doesn't want to reprise the clone.

All these aspects are not to do with Blomkamp, but Weaver.

I see. How did his original idea include the third and fourth films?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

He mentioned that in an IGN interview during Chappie's press tour. Didn't go into any details though, just said that his story was originally going to be very different and that it would have taken into account Fincher's film as well (no mention of A:R). He said that it was Sigourney Weaver who changed his mind during the filming of Chappie and convinced him to change the story and include Ripley. At that point he said that he never imagined that Weaver would have been interested in reprising her role again.

Tonyhartmorph

Tonyhartmorph

If this is true about Weaver, I think it's long past her bed time regarding any involvement with the series. She wanted out after Aliens, she wanted out after reluctantly signing up to Alien 3. This closure she wants for the character... will she ever be satisfied?

Love her, but she seems to be a bit of a meddler.

Local Trouble

Anonymous

Anonymous

Believe me with Elysium your not missing out on much it's an okay film but it isn't as good as chappie and certainly not as good as district 9

KiramidHead

It's nothing new, considering they basically let her ego trip all over Alien 3 and influence the plot and setting.

SM

How?

KiramidHead

Insisting on no guns and killing off Ripley.

SM

I'd hardly call that ego tripping all over the plot and setting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed